Growing Fruit Trees in Pots

My husband and I are living in our first house where we expect to stay for another 2-3 years before moving to a house further out of the city with a bigger garden. We'd like to invest in some fruit trees which can be grown in large pots now (possibly trained against a fence) and then planted out to grow into bigger trees once we buy the "Forever House".

Is this a realistic proposition? Do folks have good ideas about fruit trees which might work like this and particular types? Although our hardiness zone is 9b, UK summer temperatures are nowhere as high as those US States with 9b ratings. We might just get away with hardy figs or apricots, but peaches for instance aren't an option. Think northern Florida in winter, but Chicago in summer. Grateful for any help you can suggest!

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Best Answer

Hi Jenny, hello from Oz. First I would say check out at a reputable nursery as to what will grow well in pots. I say reputable, because some will tell you anything (remembering a time when a nursery person assured me what I was buying were small shrubs, what I got when I planted them were trees soaring up into the blue.)

Citrus fruits grow well in pots, lemons, oranges, mandarins, etc. A neighbour of mine has a fig tree in a very large pot, but it may not be warm enough where you are for figs. Pears and apples another thought.

Best Answer

Make sure it is not a variety that needs free roaming root systems. Some will strangle themselves off, like an over stuffed potted house plant.

Again, tell the nursery you get them from what your idea is to move them when established. There may be limited trees that tolerate that. They also may have a dormant time frame if they are moved.

Yes that is a great idea, practical, economical, and forward thinking. There is no reason not to try and grow what you want - what you think may work in the area you are in. Do some research and really explore your possabilities. There are trees you may want to consider and varieties that you haven't. (like nuts and hardier variety of fruits you can send off for and/or start in your house/present yard) that are just not talked about because no one has done that - that way before! Try and see what works for you, remember to have fun and keep it exciting this is for your future and future joys! Great idea - great possabilities!

Growing fruit tress in pots is a good idea! Look for "miniature" varieties and Google the plant to see what kind of growing mix you will need... Buy a BIG pot, they will grow into it... Just remember that potted plants need water almost daily, depending on the rainfall.

Jim in Jax

orange tree in a terra cotta planter
Growing Fruit Trees in Pots
Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesAugust 25, 2008
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Up close photo of a Mimosa tree.
Growing Mimosa Trees
Peach Tree
Growing Fruit Trees
🎉
🎄