Purchasing Food Wholesale for Resale

Can I purchase canned goods and other products for resale in a convenience store? How would I go about this?
Also, please give me an idea on prices.

By Jacquilyn from Lacoochee, FL

Here on the West coast there is a chain of stores that sell wholesale foods called Cash and Carry. If you give them your tax ID then they can exempt you from sales tax. Most of the big warehouse stores like Costco are also able to exempt you from sales tax with proper documentation.

Cash and Carry - http://www.smar  e.com/index.aspx

I think you're saying that you'd like to purchase foods at wholesale prices, not retail prices with no sales tax. Sams or Costco might be good for certain items, but not when you are trying to stock an entire store. Especially when others can buy the same items there and not pay your mark-up (which you'll have to charge to make your enterprise feasible). I'd get the company info and phone numbers from specific food product packages, then contact those companies. A single company usually makes several products, so your search wouldn't be as broad as you'd first think. It'll still take lots of time though.

Where do I go to buy discount groceries to sell in my store?

By Theresa

I would go to a similar type store that does not compete with your location and ask who their supplier is. It may take a few tries, but once you explain that you will not be competition somebody will usually help.

When I had a shop at the flea market I would take down the names on those boxes being brought in on trucks to other stores. I hit the jackpot a few times. also find out where the wholesalers are in your states and put on sneaker take a buggy and walk and shop. It worked wonders for me. I am in NY.