Installing a New Toilet
Here's a project that only sounds messy. The only disgusting part is to think some plumber would charge you a couple hundred to do it.
- Unless you need to wash the bathroom floor, start by turning the water valve located below the tank to the off position.
- Give the toilet a flush to empty the tank and second flush to empty the bowl, then using a pair of channel lock pliers, loosen off the water connection and allow any water that remains in the tank to drain into a bucket.
- There is a set of bolts holding the tank to the base and another set holding the base to the floor. Loosen these, and lift the toilet out in two pieces. You will see a gooey mess of a ring around the floor drainpipe. This is named a wax ring and you will need to replace it.
- Now you need only reverse the entire procedure. Put the new toilet base in place. The floor bolts are your guide to proper alignment. Tighten the base in place with new nuts, taking care not to crank them down too tight. The porcelain toilet could crack. Place the new tank on to the base and using the supplied gasket washers, nylon bolts and nuts, fasten in place. Do not over tighten. I prefer replacing the flex hose running from the tank to the water supply valve but you can always recycle the old one if you wish.
- Turn the water on then check for leaks at the connection and where the tank exit goes into the bowl. Give a couple of flushes to make certain all is well.
- For an added touch of luxury and get the job done right, put a new toilet seat on it.
Do you have any tips to share? Feel free to submit them in the feedback forum below.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Related Content(article continues below)
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 8, 2017 at 7:10:06 AM on 10.0.2.33 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us