What Was the Original Name for Australia?

What was Australia called in the olden days?

By Ami from QLD

Hi, Ami. I suggest you do a Google search (or other search engine) for "History of Australia." Then read up on it. It isn't too difficult to perform a search, and I've found that when I have a question and I look up the answer myself, I'm more likely to retain the information. If you can't figure out how to do the search, let us know and I'm sure someone will be able to help you (maybe even provide a link). Best of luck in your research!

New Holland.

Australia was originally known as Terra Australis Incognita, a Latin term meaning "Unknown southern land".

After the Dutch visited the western coast in the 1600s, they named the western half of the continent "New Holland". When James Cook charted the eastern coast of Australia some 150 years after the Dutch had already landed in the west, he claimed the eastern half for England, giving it the name "New South Wales".

Living room with nice interior design.
Name Ideas for Interior Design Businesses
Home Decor Shop
Name Ideas for a Home Decor Shop
Young Boy at Daycare
Name Ideas for a Childcare Business
Choosing Baby Names
Choosing a Baby Name