Australia Travel Photos and Information

Category Travel
Visiting this English speaking country is a generally safe destination. It's beautiful cities, beaches and diverse environments are unique in the world. This is a guide about Australia travel photos and information.

This page contains Sydney, Australia - frugal travel guide. Travel can be expensive, but there are a number of thrifty ways to enjoy your trip once you arrive.

Sydney, Australia Sydney Opera House

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am planning a trip to Australia in a few months and would like to know what snacks to bring along from the US that I won't find there?

Karen from IL

Answers

Best Answer

Australia has very very strict customs - you will probaly not be able to bring any food items into Australia at all.

Check with Australian Customs first to make sure, our fines for not declaring food are very high.

Best Answer

Absolutely! We have a myriad snacks here in Australia chips(potato crisps) chocolate bars galore. ice cream, even some American brand soft cookies.

The only thing I haven't been able to find is Reese's peanut butter cups. Sampled those when visiting my brother in Canada, love 'em! And Yes, customs are VERY strict on food coming in from overseas, so don't risk that fine!

What was Australia called in the olden days?

By Ami from QLD

Answers

Best Answer

Australia was originally known as Terra Australis Incognita, a Latin term meaning "Unknown southern land".
After the Dutch visited the western coast in the 1600s, they named the western half of the continent "New Holland". When James Cook charted the eastern coast of Australia some 150 years after the Dutch had already landed in the west, he claimed the eastern half for England, giving it the name "New South Wales".

Best Answer

I did a little research on this when I saw the question. It sounds like there was no one term for the Australian continent given by the indigenous people of the area. Although they are called "aboriginal", that is a blanket term for many different tribes and languages. Also, the languages were also relatively simple, so they probably just referred to it as "the land" in whatever language they were speaking.

Such an interesting place, it's on my bucket list to visit!

This request is for our Australian family. A life long dream of mine has been to visit Australia. I'm sure I won't ever be able to. Would some of you be kind enough to tell me something about the area in which you live? Pictures would be lovely but not necessary.

Thank you so much.
Ellen, from the desert in California

Answers

I too would be very interesting in hearing about Austrailia. It's definitely a place I'd like to visit some day. Hubby & I even said we'd like to go but that was before we adopted 2 beautiful children from Russia. It was very expensive to go there twice so a big trip to Australia just isn't in the cards for quite a while... if ever. I do know one lady who went some years back and showed her wonderful slides to her friends.

include me in. thank you

Hi there Ellen. I do hope you will get the opportunity to visit our beautiful country one day. It is a land of contrasts as it covers such a huge area. Most of the population settle near the coastline, and a lot on the east coast. Sydney and Melbourne are the two biggest capital cities and I live in a seaside suburb of Melbourne, about an hour's drive out of the CBD. Victoria, the state where I live has cool to cold weather from about May to September and the rest of the months are rather mild to hot.

Australia is divided into states and territories and each has its own state government and then we have a federal government which governs all of Australia. Australia varies with deserts, tropical islands, rainforests, open plains, all of it wonderful in its own way. It can be a harsh country in places and exotic in many. Feel free to ask me any questions you have. It is so hard to tell you about our huge wonderful home in just a few lines.

Maureen

Dear Ellen, Just like Maureen, I live in a seaside suburb south of Melbourne. She has covered all the things I would have said. I too hope you get to visit some day. We have a beautiful country.

Well, I think Maureen has covered a lot well. Australia is Huge.. I also live in Melbourne,Victoria, in a northern suburb about 5ks out of the CBD.
I also lived in Fremantle (Western Australia) for 2 years. It has everything (not to boast!) rainforests and deserts, mountains, snow (in winter) beautiful beaches. The Pacific Ocean laps our shores on this (eastern side) and the Indian Ocean on the western side of the continent. As well as scenic beauty and birds and animals that are found nowhere else in the world we have a thriving art,culture, music, theatre scene.. and some say Melbourne is the shopping and restaurant capital of the world (all a matter of opnion of course! However, it has gained the title of 'Worlds Most Liveable City" Of course not just to plug my home town/state. Every state and territory has it's own unique beauty and attractions.
Do save up and come and see us 'downunder'
sometime!

Hello to all that responded to my request. Thank you for taking the time to make this old auntie happy.

You've painted such a wonderful picture that I can't think of any questions at the moment.

In my 30's I traveled extensively thru out the U.S. but now a days I can only armchair travel. I am more or less housebound.

It's so nice hearing from someone from so far away. I thank you all so much. Ellen

Tell us more. And what does CBD mean?

Oh, CBD is just short for Central Business District (the city itself)
Our seasons are the the other way around to those in the northern hemisphere, so here it is now summer and currently very hot.Heat is not my favorite thing, so summer is not my favorite season! I love it when the cooler weather comes in April.
I'm not sure what /more' I can tell you as our land is so vast, unless you have a specific state or region you would like to know about?

One name keeps coming to mind. Can someone tell me a little about Alice Springs. Ellen

Hi Ellen,
I live in Brisbane in Queensland. Here is a good site to look at for some insight:

http://www.sunz  ne/2attract.html

jojo, wonderful!!! Thank you

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Here is a photo I took of a place called "The Pinnacles" It's in Western Australia, and not far from the coast. It is very unique and beautiful, like an alien landscape. What do you think? ;-)

Hope you enjoy the photo.

By jayfeather from Australia

Comment Like this photo? 28

This picture was taken in the North-East Australia, in a zoo. Koala is so cute, isn't it?

By Evelin

Comment Like this photo? 9

Here are some photos of Jugiong Australia, such pretty countryside.

By Linda

Comment Like this photo? 4

We came out from afternoon tea at one of the big hotels on the harbour. The setting sun on a winter afternoon made the sky look so lovely behind the Opera House.

Comment Like this photo? 4

These beautiful sunsets were taken en-route to Perth, Western Australia in the desert. Glorious!

By Jay Jay

Comment Like this photo? 5

Photo Description
Nothing like embarking a Cruise Liner and visiting a beautiful place like Airlie Beach. This place was made for postcards. Just view the sky the water, boats and plants; a photographers dream location.

Photo Location
Airlie Beach, Queensland

Comment Like this photo? 3