Getting Rid of Poop Odor

My two dogs have started pooping in the house and I have tried everything from bleach to vinegar to get rid of the smell, nothing is working. I have had to open the windows to help somewhat disburse the smell, but still can smell it. Please any suggestions will be appreciated to get rid of this smell.

Amy from Evansdale

I don't like to hurt your feelings, but if the potty habits of your dogs cannot be corrected, you might have to get rid of both animals.

If your neighbors can smell the stench, one of them might call in the authorities and remove both dogs from the premises.

Actually neither dog has ever pooped in the house. Unfortunately, my dog, a male, fell ill while my daughter was keeping him while we were on vacation. There is no oder or stain....I thought maybe my daughter's dog was trying to reclaim her territory.

I'm not sensitive to fragrances, so I would just drown it with commercial air fresheners from the grocery store. Ask your vet for the name of a dog trainer or behaviorist, and get a quote (costs nothing to do that, right?) on help with the potty problem. Or a knowlegeable breeder can sometimes help. You can get this problem solved and have good dogs! God bless you, Kim

Thank you, Kim. My daughter discovered the accident quickly and thankfully there's no smell, yet my daughter's female dog continues to defecate in the exactly where my male dog did. I thought maybe the my daughter's dog was trying to "claim" her space. Your idea of asking a dog breeder or someone very knowledgeable is a great one, especially since we've tried recommended cleaner. God bless you as well, Kim. How wonderful to know the Lord helped me through a sister I didn't even know I had.

Try Odor Ban, they sell it at Sam's, it is used in hospitals, nursing homes, and by Vets.

Have you just moved? Sounds like their potty timing is off.

Try and retrain the dogs.

I would hope you won't as one person said get rid of your dogs. My dog yes, does poop inside the house. I have a hard time getting up the steps to get outside. I just clean it up and flush. It's not the best, but it is what it is.

I have two dogs. They are like my children. My little girl sometimes has accidents at night because she is to little to hold herself all night. I just clean it up and soak the spot good with Febreze. The extra strong stuff. For the air I use AIRWICK Neutra AIR 2 in 1. It kills odors and freshens the air.

Try Nature's Miracle. You can find it in pet stores and buy it in small enough quantities to just try out. It has enzymes that break down the stench and clean it up completely. It was recommended to us by our vet when we moved into a house whose owners had a dog. While he didn't do his business in the house, he sure did smell! :)

I have a yorkie and throw rugs are her favorite spots so I put it on the shower floor. My older brit has hip problems and dribbles. If going out a pair of doggie undies work for either end. Don't sweat the small stuff. I worry more on getting bills paid for good credit, poop flushes, interest hikes don't.

(sent by email)

Go to a pet store and buy a Jug of Nature's Remedy, it is guaranteed to get rid of any odor. We rented a house once, that had 38 cats in it, can you imagine how that place smelled? This stuff got rid of the smell, try it. You may have to use it a couple of times, but it will work. By WandaA from Flint Michigan

If you catch it in time use alcohol to get rid of the smell. Just sprinkle a little over the area they used and for urine, baking soda works well. Sprinkle that over the urine and then wait a little while and go back and vacuum.

Rubbing alcohol?

Pick it up and throw it into the toilet. Then burn a match or two in the area. (Works in the bathroom too! Cheapest air freshener there is after poop is removed!)

My dog pees in just one place in the living room, Sometimes poops there as well. So I got rid of the rug, scrubbed everything down. We put down heavy plastic wrap in that area once it was dry, and now once or twice a week I lay out an incontenance pad (plastic backed, absorbant diaper-like material) on top of the plastic wrap. You can buy these pads at a pet store, but after the first ones, which are presented in a way only a dog can smell, you can buy adult incontenance pads at Wallmart which are much cheaper. Dog goes on the pad, and after three or four uses of the pad, I throw it out. I keep a half roll of toilet paper nearby to use to pick up solid waste.

And then burn a match.

A good spot clean and then dump baking soda on it. Make sure to get as much of the moisture out of the spot that you can and then liberal amounts of baking soda left to sit will absorb the odor. Then vacuum it up. Don't forget to take care of your vac bag though. They can hold odors in your house that your nose may be used to, yet company can peg right away....

My dog defecated on the carpet of my daughter's home. Even though it has been thoroughly cleaned her dog, who has never pooped in the house is now defecating in the same area.

April 12, 2013 Flag

My red nose Pit Bull goes to the bathroom in the finished basement where she sleeps and plays. It doesn't happen every day, about once a week. How do I get rid of the scent to try to stop this?

By Frank M

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can your dog can get outside when she needs too? If not perhaps she needs to be let out more often. Is she getting a good walk every day? If not this might help a lot. She could be attracted to the odor left by previous mishaps, but more likely it is one of the above. You can use one of the enzyme soaks available at pet stores or just soap and water with a little borax. the enzyme soaks are great but take time to dry to remove the odor. Good luck.

Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets  0 Layout Assign
Removing Pet Poop Odor from Carpets
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 6, 2008
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
🎉
🎄