Safety of and Getting Rid of Bat Guano

I want to install a bat house in my yard. If I do, how do I get rid of the guano? Is it safe to handle?

Linda from Kansas City, KS

I have never heard of bat guano so I googled it. Wikipedia has some really good info about it. According to them it's safe and good for fertilizer.

Read the article and then make your decision.

Don't get rid of it! It's the best fertilizer around. If you can't use it give it to a friend that gardens.

Wow never heard of anyone wanting bats around before. Scared of them. Glad I live here, no offense.

Wear gloves and a face mask when you remove it. Dry bat guano is powdery and you definitely do not want to breathe it, same for any other rodent dung.

Hi Linda,

I would just wear one of those allergy masks when you pick it up, toss it into the compost, or directly onto the flowers, or whatever. A bat house, how neat. Your bug population will definitely go down.

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesSeptember 3, 2007
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
A bat decoration on top of a cupcake.
Making Bat Cupcakes
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety