How Often Do Finches Lay Eggs?

Finches will generally lay one egg each morning until their nest is full, usually 6 eggs. They will fill the nest again a couple of weeks after the chicks have fledged. This guide discusses how often finches lay eggs?

How often will zebra finches lay eggs in captivity without a male? I need them to have eggs for my baby egg-eater snake. How can I encourage egg laying?

Answers

Best Answer

They can lay eggs weekly

Best Answer

The best way to encourage regular eggs is to have a mate present, but like with human reproduction, nothing is a given with or without a partner.

Best arrange alternative food sources for your scaly child. There are a lot of snake food websites that sell small quail eggs and other appropriate foods. www.finchinfo.com/.../eggs.php

I have a pair of society finchs, but I am not sure if they are male and female. They both built the nest and one of them laid 6 egg. The one has sat constantly only to let the other relieve it to feed and get water.

Will 2 females do this or do I have a male and female? They sat on the eggs for over 25 days and I took them away and they were no good. If I have a male and female, when will she start another nest of eggs? Please help.

By Kathy Barlow from Milton, FL

Answers

I used to have finches too. Females lay eggs, but they are not furtile eggs. I would think you have two females. I had three females and they would lay unfurtile eggs. But then one died so I got another one from the local pet store. Needless to say it was a male and boy did they have at it! Anyway I took him back but one of the females laid fertile eggs and they did not take very long to hatch so I had like four babies. They take care of them totally. You really don't need to do anything if they do have babies. But I do hope you feed them more than seeds. Mine loved fruits and veggies. Especially cucumbers. Just cut a slice and put it between the bars and they will love it. Lettuce is good too, but mine loved cucumbers.

I had zebra finches. Mine laid eggs almost weekly, altho the eggs never survived until someone finally told me I was giving them the wrong type of nest. Once I corredted that, they had one clutch of 5 eggs, and every one of them lived! I then had 7 of the cutest and sweetest birds I had ever had! Once they got old enough tho, I did quickly separate the males and females so I didn't get over-run!

I had only bought the initial pair to enjoy with no thought of breeding!
I also gave mine frewh fruits and veggies. I gave them lettuce, cucumbers, apples, and other things. They also enjoyed dandelion flowers too.
But they gave me so much enjoyment. I loved to sit and watch them and to listen to them. The sound they make is so sweet! I even recorded them and played the sound back at nite to lull me to sleep! Worked great on this severe lifelong insomniac!

Hi,
I have a question my finches lay eggs but never hatch. Could you tell me a lil bit more about the nest stuff and the food. I would love to see them have babies. They sit on the eggs but nothing happens.

Hi i just had 5 baby zebra finches i bought the breeding material on ebay for cheap and you can do up to 10 nest with the amount you get i also gave them a cuttlebone they need the calcium in her system for the breeding to begin after 3 or four days she will start laying eggs i use a coconut shell and they love it i tried bird breeding boxes they always went after the coconut shell . I also bought them the gravel and grit which has little bits of shell in it which gives her lots of calcium which is what she needs to be able to breed and have fertile eggs another treat is millet spray she loves to nibble on that once the babies are hatched . Well i hope this helps .

I live in the woods, as a matter of fact I live right by the reservoir. We have a lot of Wildlife including deer, Fisher Cats, rabbits, and too many bird species to mention, my favorite are doves and finches. The red Cardinals are so beautiful I can never manage to get a picture, they are so elusive. Anyhow I have 2 bird houses and they always are being used by the finches. I also have a 3rd house. I call it the condo. It also is being used by my finches. It has a 1st and 2nd floor, till this day I still don't understand why they patch the first floor with nesting materials, so the two holes on the first floor cannot be entered.

The second floor has one hole and they do use it for nesting. I initially asked how many times birds will nest, I think I figured it out for myself. The first batch of babies came in early March and now it is late July and I am waiting on the eggs to hatch again...unfortunately it is very hard to tell how many eggs are in the house is because they're so steep but I know there's at least two or 3 in each one. Wish me luck!!! :-)

after meeting how many days required a female finch laying egg ????

Anonymous

About a week

Anonymous

Yes they are male and female

you obviously have two females...females lay eggs without a male but will not hatch due to fertilization...boil an egg for 20 minutes let it cool and smash shell and all up and feed to them as a treat its called egg food and it gives them the calcium they need if they lack calcium the eggs could get stuck in your female finch...mine love egg food...and orange wedges or romaine lettuce...all these with seed or pellets give them vitamins they need

How you can tell the finches appart is the male Finch has orange cheeks and the female doesn't have any.if you have one gender the eggs will never hatch. You have to have one of each.

When does a finch get pregnant again for the second time?