Plant HealthGardening

Tomato Plant Leaves Are Curling and Have Brown Spots

I just planted some tomato plants into a large pot, it's been about 5 days now. After I transplanted them I watered them with a little Miracle Gro and plain water. But some of my leaves are getting brown spots on them and around the edges they are browning and curling. What can I do ?

By Shelly from Salt Lake City, UT

It sounds like the amount of fertilizer was too much and it "burned" the plant.

Yes, that is what it sounds like. The plants are too young to use fertilizer. My husband uses Epson salt every 14 days to fertilize, and our Tomato's are doing great. Also about those brown spots, sounds like water is getting on the leaves and the sun is burning them. We water early in the morning and sprinkle them when it's kinda of cloudy or when the sun goes down. Hope this helps you. Good Luck.

Just a thought. When you transplanted them, did you make certain the roots were all completely covered in dirt, and then water them heavily to settle the soil around them? I've killed a few plants by not transplanting correctly. Is the soil level at the same place where the plant was before? What kind of potting soil did you use? Plain old dirt doesn't work very well. Hope this is helpful.