Craft Night Ideas

I am having my nieces (5 & 7) for a sleep over (on the floor in front of fireplace) and craft night. I would like some ideas on what to do. Ideally I would like them to make a present for mom/dad/grandparents. Looking for something FUN, frugal, and not to messy. Thank you for any suggestions. Have a great day!

Lori from Atlanta, NY

Do pillowcases w/the name of the gift recipient on it. Have kids paint their hand prints on pillowcase and/or decorate case. My kids are 7 and 10 and they dig this craft!

My daughter (5) likes the iron beads a lot and can do a ton of designs in a night... enough for the whole family if I'd let her. Making picture frames out of Popsicle sticks and letting them decorate them, creating beaded necklaces, this time of year, anything that could be used for a Christmas decoration, paper snowflakes. 5 & 7 are great ages for craft projects. Have fun.

My boys did the hand print thing on a black tee shirt for their dad for Father's Day. You could do that or paint night shirts. They also made me macaroni jewelry. They dyed the stuff and threaded it on string and gave it to me cause I was "the best mother in the whole world!" I wear it all proudly and especially when I need a lift. They're 20 and 21 now and I still use it to make my day.

my 4 yr old grandaughter loves this....

old magazine orgami

I have a book, but I'm sure you could find patterns online, her fav is butterflies, so simple to do, cut and fold magazine like an accordian, add a pipe cleaner and before you know it your house is covered in butterflies.

checkout familyfun magazine on line. We just made Christmas ornaments, magnets(using magazine pictures adhered tot he back using diluted white glue and clear craft stones).

Paper boxed (buy a book at scrapbook store) make a set of coupons and use the box as the gift box.

Sounds like you'll have a real fun evening with your nieces.

I thought of a few things....make some cookies in a jar or other sorts of in a jar gifts. I think if you put that into a search you will get some sites with free recipes. You might also look for instructions on making bath salts.

Also, at Wal-Mart they sell these little painting kits. It is a plastic piece that the child paints and then it gets hung in a window as a sun catcher. My daughter has made these and they turn out cute. The kits are not expensive and include the paints, a paint brush and a suction cup hanger. They also sell just the plastic shapes too if you already have paints and brushes. There are various designs such as horses, butterflys, cats, etc. These could make nice gifts after they paint them or they can just make for their own rooms. My daughter still has a horse one hanging on the mirror in her bedroom.

Oh and thinking of painting projects, you can also find the plaster tree ornaments to paint. Those can also be found at Wal-Mart or any craft store.

Something I did with my girls was putting a picture on a bar of soap.(Forgot now which brand of soap has a flat side), but You paste a picture on the flat side of a bar of soap and then dip it in melted parafin. only dip in about 1/8 inch of parafin. The parafin protects the picture, plus when you use the soap it only used soap from one side, and lengthens the life of a bar of soap a lot. Putting a Christmas picture on it makes a nice useful and fairly cheap gift. Or they could put their picture on the soap for a real personal gift.

Crafts AdviceNovember 12, 2007
moonflower closeup
Growing Moonflowers
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Making a Date Night Jar
Making a Date Night Jar
sleeping boxer
Dog Won't Sleep Through the Night
🎄
🍂