Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Repairing a Canvas Tent

I have a 16' by 32' canvas army tent. Half way down one side it is torn all the way to the top. I would like to put Velcro in, but don't know how or what to use. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Lethaj from Forest Grove, OR

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Myrna [13]09/22/2009

Velcro strips come with a sticky backing to be mounted onto fabric or solid item. Since the tent is an outdoor item, I would choose a strong thread and hand stitch down the Velcro to hold in place. If there's not space enough for overlapping the tent material, so the Velcro can close up the opening, then sew a strip of waterproof canvas down the one side of the tent edge. First it would be easier to sew the Velcro onto the canvas strip and then hand stitch onto the tent edging. Good Luck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Repairing a Canvas Tent

Is there anyway to repair a pop-up tent with a torn canvas doorway? Thanks in advance.

patsAZ from Morristown, AZ

RE: Repairing a Canvas Tent

We have owned three pop up campers and our first was a 1982 Palomino with some canvas "issues". I think it all depends on how badly the canvas is torn. On our Palomino, we had a small tear near the door and I was able to sew it together with a very heavy thread. I then rubbed beeswax over the repair to seal it. This seemed to work for us, but then again it wasn't a large rip.

You can also try to take it to a canvas shop for repair. As a last resort (and if you're willing to spend the money) new canvas for a pop up usually runs around $900. A good company that sells new canvas is Bearcreek Canvas. Their website is: bearcreekcanvas.com

Also, check out these sites for lots of good info regarding pop ups: popupportal.com and

popupexplorer.com

Good luck. (08/30/2006)

By TxSavr

RE: Repairing a Canvas Tent

I worked at a canvas shop for 15 years and if you could find one to do the repair it will be costly. Repairs on tents are labor costly. What I would do is buy some canvas that closely matches and contact glue the tear. Be sure to make the patch a couple of inches bigger on all four sides of the tear, follow the directions and, then do the same on the other side.

This is important and you should be good to go for a long while. For burn holes from ash go to the canvas shop and get the peel and stick canvas that you use to put on sail letters. Put a patch bigger on both sides. Good luck.

Barbara(09/01/2006)

By Barbara

RE: Repairing a Canvas Tent

We bought a 1980 something pop up and it had a very large tear on one end of the canvas. I sew so I just took my sewing machine out and took a piece of denim and did a quick zigzag over the tear and then placed the fabric over both sides of the tear and zigzaged it over the tear. I got some stuff from Camping World to make if water proof. That was over three years ago and still holding good. Good luck. (03/04/2007)