Removing Artificial Nails

How do I take off fake nails?

By Anissa from Indianapolis, IN

The way I used to do it when I had artificial nails was to soak them in the regular old fashioned nail polish remover, not the kind made to use on artificial nails. It takes a long time but it works.

Anonymous

Yes, Acetone nail polish remover.

I've had artificial nails for years and this is what I was told to do by my tecnician. Go to a beauty supply store (like Sally's, etc.) and get their pure acetone (a gallon is about $10, but you can get smaller sizes). Pour some into a small glass bowl and set that bowl into one containing hot water (be sure the water is low enough to not enter the other bowl). (The acetone feels very cold and the hot water makes to more comfortable to have your nails in.)

Cover the bowls with a towel (Also make sure you put a towel underneath as the acetone can damage wood finishes, etc.) and slip your finger tips into the acetone. Do not remove them for, at least, 30 minutes. Then use a a flat instrument (You can also buy this at the same store) to scape off the dissolved acrylic. Continue soaking and scraping until removed. Then lightly file and or buff nails. Do not try to pop or clip them off. This is very hard on the nails and can hurt. As the soaking takes a while, I do it while I'm watching a favorite TV show.