Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

Celebrate this milestone birthday in style with advice for small and large budgets. This guide contains ideas for mother's 80th birthday.

November 14, 2004 Flag

I need some ideas for my mother's 80th birthday.

- Jennie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

For my mom's 80th Birthday we had a surprise party for it, which all of my siblings, through very careful planning, were able to make it back for, along with several cousins and aunts. I wanted something special, besides the pictures and table decorations for her to remember it by, so I went to a Party Outlet store, a Dollar store would have this also, and got a $1 vinyl tablecloth. We hung it on a wall, though it would be fine spread out on a table, and had various colored sharpies on hand, (They won't smear) and had everyone sign the tablecloth, along with any messages they wanted my mom to have. It's been 3 years now, and my mom still pulls the tablecloth out and can read every message.

I hope that's helpful to you!

Best Answer

My mom is turning 80 in Feb 2005 and I have been planning a surprise. I plan to have an open house from noon to 4 at my home. I plan to have snacks and cupcakes and strawberry shortcake (Moms favorite). I have crocheted white crosses and will be putting on purple ribbons to pass out to the ladies as book marks. I am ordering black pens with crosses for the men as favors. (Mom will like that theme). Since she still works (I know she is almost 80,,,,,she takes newborn baby pictures; we both do! and she would hate to quit). The color theme will be lavender and purple. I was going to hire a hall; but, being in the winter and we live in the Northeast....a storm may wipe the party out; an open house can be done anytime. Just thought you might want to know another option.

Best Answer

When our Mother turned 80, we hosted a family meal for her near her home (actually we used a church fellowship hall, and hired a caterer) so that travel would not be difficult for her. We invited all her children, sisters, grandchildren, and special friends --- we had a group of about 40. We each brought a single flower and put in a vase for her to take home. She was thrilled, and everyone seemed to thoroughly enjoy the day. We visited, reminised about the memories we had of her over the years.

On her 75th, we gave her a memory book --- that each person that was near and dear to her had made up a page of memories of her to insert into the book. Some folks wrote poems, some stories of special things they remembered about her or did with her, some folks made their page into a picture memory page. She still treasures that book, and often shows it to us when we visit her.

This year we are celebrating her 85th, we (her children) are hosting a special meal at a restaurant near her home. There will be about 20 of us in attendance. We have hired a professional photographer to come and take pictures of the day. We are sure this will be a treasured memory to her also.

I hope some of these suggestions help.

Best Answer

My Mom didn't want a party for her 80th birthday, so I gave her a card shower. She loves cards. I sent a flyer to all relatives, friends, and neighbors and asked that everyone send her a card for her birthday. She was thrilled with so many cards. She didn't know I did this and just thought people remembered her birthday. Turned out very nice.

Best Answer

This generation of people went through the Great Depression! We hosted for three of my grandparents a "money tree" . Somebody was asked to find a Charlie brown tree, place the tree in a coffee can and bring to the party. Each guest at the party divided up the $80 into $1 bills and then we attached the $80 on the tree. All three of my grandparents thought WOW, they couldn't believe how much was on the tree! Very simple and fun to do. Good luck!

Best Answer

For our Mother's 80th birthday, my 2 sisters and I rented a big conference room at a local hotel. We invited all of her family and close friends to come to a surprise party for her. We had a large banner printed, a special cake and corsage for her, and had a meal catered. The hotel even put a Happy Birthday wish to her on their marquee!

Best Answer

When I turned 70 all my grandchildren gave me card or posters that had 70 items on it. Like 70 pennies, 70 stamps, marshmallows, cough drops erc. Since I enjoy a beer, I even got 70 bottles of beer. The older children and grandchildren made up a tree with $70.00 attached to it. It was a memorable birthday.

October 6, 2009 Flag

Could you help me with a theme for my mother's 80th birthday celebration?

By scarloss43 from Monroe, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Just a thought, with this idea you could be very creative. What was going on in the world 80 years. ago that would be special to your mother; popular song, author, maybe a birthday theme for that era. I once found my mother a copy of a newspaper of the year she was born. She was thrilled. Just a thought.

Best Answer

This isn't really a theme, but it makes a wonderful gift. Write down 80 things you love about your mom. It could be special qualities she has or the way she cooks your very favorite meal or memories of things she's done for you or memories of trips or holidays, etc. Some could be funny, but most should be from the heart. I've don't this for both my parents and my step dad and it was the best present they ever got. Don't we all want to know how we've made a difference and impacted the lives of others? 80 memories of your mom is a fabulous way to tell her you love her! (you won't be able to think of 80 in one sitting, so try doing 10 at a time until you come up with 80.)

October 6, 2009 Flag

I would like a very funny poem to read to my mother at her 80th birthday party.

By Bonter from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

Could you maybe prepare a poem in a roast fashion? Write down different family members and their quirks or happenings over the years that were funny and then work it around until it rhymes. Use a word processing software to list then you can work on the organization. I did google this for you and did not really find any funny poems they were all mushy mushy love stuff. (07/16/2009)

By notwrong

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

One thing we did for my grandmother's 85th birthday was to make a scrapbook. We got the book and had each person in the family contribute things for the book that we'd later give to grandma. Some of the kids painted or colored pictures, different ones submitted photos. We added things like ribbon border, charms and other things grandma would like. She really enjoyed getting the book. She said, it was the best gift she'd ever received. I'm a writer, so I included a personal poem I wrote for her. You could do the lettering in calligraphy, if you want to get real fancy, or you could use one of those silver or gold, ballpoint pens. Grandma also loved collecting recipes, so we included some of our favorites. She also loved flowers, and gardening, so we picked some flowers out of different places and dried them, then included them in the scrapbook, as well. The possibilities are endless. (07/18/2009)

By heather21230

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

This is the poem that the Red Hat Society is based on. I'm not a member, but I have a glorious red hat that was given to me on my 50th birthday and I wear it often and proudly because it's fun. So, you could find her a lovely, or ugly, red hat and some purple socks and celebrate the freedom that can come with age.

WARNING

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Joseph

(07/19/2009)

By DiJones

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 15, 2009 Flag

I'd like some ideas for my Mother's 80th birthday. She was in an orphanage in Waverly, Iowa.

Deb from Spicer, MN

Answers:

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

For Christmas, I made memory jars for family members. I took a plastic jar from the dollar store and filled with slips of paper. Each paper had a memory of something I remembered from the past about them. (01/31/2008)

By Lucy H.

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

Why not make her a memory jar. Have all of her children and their spouses write down on a slips of paper detailing happy and funny memories (hopefully having at least 365 slips)and then decorate the jar with a pretty ribbon. Tell her to pull out one memory a day for a gift that will last all year. It's also a gift to her loved ones who get to recall all these wonderful memories as they are writing them down for her.

(02/01/2008)

By binkylou

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

We are planning a 90th birthday celebration for my mother in law in November. When we celebrated my parents 50th anniversary we sent letters to friends and family about 6 months in advance requesting they send a card, letter and/or poem along with a picture of themselves. We asked that they be returned at least 2 months before the actual date of party. We created a memory scrapbook for them and had it there for their celebration. Since there was a request for no gifts this was a great gift that all could participate in and was almost no cost to the guest. It was a great success.

We sent reminder invitations to the celebration about 2 months prior to the event. We plan to do the same thing for my mother in law. We will be serving finger foods with a dessert bar, including a chocolate fountain, punch spiced tea and coffee. We plan to bring in two wing back chairs with a small table for her to sit in along with a friend to chat. There will be several round tables with chairs and 3 or 4 long banquet tables for guest to be seated.

We will be using a family and friends theme. The colors are deep blue (her favorite color) along with fall colors. Lots of color for a wonderful celebration of life, (02/22/2008)

By Stephanie

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

We are having on 80th b-day for my mom and were are making her a film of her life. We are scanning old pictures onto a disc to play on a screen. The pictures go from her birth to the birth of her great grandchildren. We are screening it in her yard which is set up like a movie theater with popcorn and candy. Hope this will help. (09/04/2008)

By Diane

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

A friend had a "Tea Party" for her mother and close friends. An assortment of tea cups were used and each guest was able to take their tea cup home. Finger sandwiches and desserts were served. (12/27/2008)

By Fran

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

Purchase one of those digital pictures frames and add all kinds of photographs of the family to it. She can plug it in at home and enjoy the rotation of photographs over and over again. What a treat indeed, especially if family doesn't live close by. (01/17/2009)

By Mary

Ideas for Mother's 80th Birthday

My mother-in-law is celebrating her 80th on October 31st. We are planning a party for her where we will play games such as "Which child is this?" (giving clues about her children as they grew up and see if she can remember which child that we are talking about) and "Name the year this happened". We will give her a well known event and a choice of 3 years that it happened in. I have also tried to purchase a newspaper that is printed the date of her birth, but now having much success. We may have a costume contest since it will be on Halloween. (02/11/2009)

By Brenda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 29, 2008 Flag

We are planning a 80th birthday party for my mother in December. I would love for your readers to come up with some ideas for this celebration. She is an Eastern Star Member and we are having this event at the Masonic Temple. Any suggestions regarding the food, decorations and etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank all of you, in advance.

Mary from Mendenhall, MS

Answers:

80th Birthday Party Suggestions

We are taking dad on a cruise for his 80th birthday. So my brother gave him 80 quarters (for the slot machine) with a catchy little note attached. My sister gave dad 80 candy Kisses in a jar along with a little note. A granddaughter gave him 80 candy Hugs (dad loves candy) in a tin with a Bass fish on it, since he loves to fish, also with a little note attached. These are a few ideas that may be of some help. I really liked the idea of the 80 candy Kisses & Hugs. Very inexpensive! (01/05/2008)

By Robin

80th Birthday Party Suggestions

We have a large family and are in the process of planning a 80th birthday party in March for Mom. The theme we are choosing is 'family'. We purchased one of those revolving digital picture albums and are asking that the family email us pictures either in digital format or we will scan. We will load the album with with those pictures as a gift to leave with Mom. Then we will use them for table decorations. I plan on printing some pictures, then getting them mounted on foam board (both sides) adding a stick of different heights and add a few to each centerpiece. We also like using balloons for color. We want to serve finger foods. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers (01/17/2008)

By Janeen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 11, 2007 Flag

This December, my Mother will be celebrating her 80th birthday. Does anyone have any suggestions on what one could do for her birthday.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
80th Birthday
80th Birthday Party Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayDecember 12, 2016
A birthday cake to celebrate an 80th birthday.
80th Birthday Favor Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
80th Birthday Cake
80th Birthday Gift Ideas
daughter giving mother a gift
Thank You Speech for Mother's 80 Birthday
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 12:45:32 PM on 10.0.2.126 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.