Paint Suggestions for Entrance Hallway

I am looking for suggestions on what to paint my entrance hallway. The carpet on the stairs to the left is red and the ceramic tiles are white and black. What color should I paint the walls?

Pauline from Toronto, Canada

It looks like the color of your carpet in the living room is a beige color. What I would do is get a bunch of paint samples and choose the color closest to your carpet color. That way the new hall wall color will tie in to your living room space :-)

I'm no color expert, but I'd say something neutral, but a little contrasting. A slightly darker beige then you already have? Or you could go with a pale pink? Depends on your preference. If it were my entrance, though, I'd go for the darker beige.

Don't paint!

My bathroom has been black and red and grays/whites for over 35 years now. With that white and black tile, you could find some really cool wallpaper, decals, art work or frames/shadowboxes in reds/blacks/grays.

I have had old fashioned commodes from Sears, French "Ladies" from Color Tile, and more.

I would suggest that you keep the color white as it goes wonderful with what you have, in order to make it more exciting to the eye alternate a matte white stripe with a satin white stripe by taping it off or if you feel really adventuresome tape off the diamonds on the wall so you are repeating the same pattern that is on your tile and paint them in the contrasting white finish. This is a very classy paint job and gives you contrast without a color change. I saw this technique at a Manhattan "penthouse" while visiting a friend.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceNovember 5, 2008
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Hallway Paint Color Advice
Hallway Paint Color Advice
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick