Purchase Birdhouses At Thrift Stores

Hey Bird Lovers! Want to enjoy the birds, provide them with housing, and save some money? Look no further than your local thrift store. In the wood/basket section, I often find birdhouses for 99 cents! Many of them were made for decorative purposes, but can easily be converted for use by birds. Just make sure the house is sealed on the roof, is of sturdy enough construction, and made of wood. Just remove any decorative bits. Some of the houses needed the opening enlarged a little, but that's pretty easy to accomplish.

Do not use birdhouses made of metal as they could easily overheat in hot weather. We like to securely attach the suitable bird houses in shady trees, high enough to keep predators away. There are no vacancies at the moment! Birdhouses are a great way to encourage birds to nest on your property.

By Gooby

I hung a beautiful large hanger on my front porch with artificial ivy and another type of artificial plant. From the street you can't tell it's not real and I've had people ask me how I kept it alive. The birds build nests in it. Just about anything hung high enough outside and seems like birds will built nests in it as along as there are plants in it so they can hide their eggs.

With decorative birdhouses et, please be careful they don't contain harmful chemicals, paints, lead. So often we read of recalls for toys, bracelets, stuff made in china, and other countries which we don't want our little ones coming in contact with for health reasons. Well this is not good for small birds either. Sadly our environment is killing off many creatures, or making them sick. Call your local audubon society to learn how to help the little feathered friends.

Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingMay 25, 2010
A wooden birdhouse near a rose.
Garden Birdhouses
Rustic birdhouse.
Scrap Wood Birdhouses
Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers