American Dagger Moths Can Be Toxic

Beware of hairy yellow caterpillars with black spikes. They are American dagger moths that have have toxic properties when hairs are touched. One slight brush sent me to the ER with significant hives, elevated blood pressure, facial flushing, and chills.

I did some online research and learned that pets who innocently consume the caterpillars can also become ill enough to seek a vet's care. I am still afflicted with hives after three days and am dosing with Benedryl. One helpful hint is applying ice directly on hives and it has helped when topical cortisone and oral medications have fallen short relieving the itching.

You can Google search a photo and info about American Dagger moth and other toxic hairy caterpillars all over the US. I also found many other home remedies for hives.

By Kathy from Western PA

Holy Cow! Never knew that and am glad you will be okay! Thanks for the heads up!

You mentioned you had found home remedies for hives? Please share! :)

Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 15, 2008
Indianmeal moth
Getting Rid of Pantry Moths
cat in a garden
Garden Plants That Can Be Toxic to Pets
An up close photo of a moth.
Getting Rid of Moths
American Girl Doll With White Hat, Braids and Sweater
Saving Money on an American Girl Doll