Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Decorating Red Satin Sheets

I have an elderly (73) friend. He just purchased red satin sheets, he has OLD antique dressers, headboard, and a matching mirror. And he's asking me what color to paint his walls and ceilings. Though he is elderly, he is a little on the "wild" side. So white and tan are out. He thinks black would be good but that will really darken his room and will resemble a pit or "black hole". Any of you have any ideas?

Love this site! Thanks for any ideas you have.

How about painting the wall behind his head board black and the other walls white. He could use a wall paper border on the white walls with lots of reds and blacks to tie it all in. Or paint the walls white, roll on some red paint like a wall paper border would be and then either sponge on black or rag roll some black. He could use red and black accent rugs on the floor for either idea to help tie the room together. When my son went through a stage of wanting black walls, I purchased black flat sheets and use black headed thumb tacks to cover the walls. Then about 6 months later when he changed his mind I didn't have anything to paint over.

Butter or even lemon yellow. Be very careful not to get a mustard shade, which would look 'orangy' next to the red. Maybe take a pillow case to the store to compare paint chips. This would really brighten the room and bring out the warmth of both the red sheets and the antique furniture. You could even do 'swishes' of red and eggplant (not purple). Just take a thin brush - barely dip it in the paint and swish. Even consider doing just one wall - perhaps the one behind the headboard. If he hates it in 6 months - it's one wall.

He could paint it Red, and use black trim, and curtians. Tell him to go to Lowes or Sherman Williams web sites. They both have a free interactive site, that lets you pick a room, and play with the wall and trim colors. You can see if it looks good to you, before you paint. The sites are free.

You go guy!

Brenda

Boy, I hope he can deal with those satin sheets! A friend told me years ago that she thought they would be so cool, but she kept slipping around. 73 years of age isn't that old these days, but tell him to take it easy because a fall out of bed as a result of any activity other than sleeping could have unpleasant results.

HOT PINK !! with black stripes --lite pink for the bed ! I would love to meet the elderly " wild one " :-)

How about purple/eggplant on the bottom and a taupe on top. Or an allover confederate blue.

Gold will go really well with the red and give it a sort of old Hollywood look. If he decides he doesn't like the red, gold will go with many more accent colors--green, purple, etc.

Hey there!

How about giving him a warm mediterranean motif? Deep cream on the walls, deep blue-green accents with a range of reds, golds and MILD oranges? These will work in well with (if I understand you) darker, older furnishings, brightening the room. Be sure to keep that little bit of deep blue-green for grounding and a hint of black for emphasis. :)

WOW, TERRI!! WHAT A WONDERFUL EYE AND MIND FOR THE COLOR COMBINATIONS YOU CAME UP WITH!! I WOULD EVEN LOVE TO HAVE A ROOM LIKE THAT MYSELF! SURELY THE OLD GENT WILL LOVE THAT!!