"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

Cut 8 strips of 1/8 inch pink satin ribbon into varying lengths. Tie sugar cubes to each end, cutting off the ribbon ends that stick out. Tie the ribbons in the middle with a bow, first putting in a small safety pin so that the 16-year old can pin it to her garment.

Source: This was from a memory I had as a 16-year old.

By Karen from New Martinsville, WV

November 29, 2010 Flag

I am looking for directions on how to make the sweet 16 corsage and a picture. Thank you.

Lynda from Fayetteville, NC

Answers:

"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

At my school all the Sweet 16 corsages (probably all from the same florist) were carnations with tulle behind and ribbon bow etc but with 16 sugared gumdrops or spice drops of various pastel colors instead of the sugar cubes. They were the pin-on type, not the wrist corsage type. (02/16/2008)

By Kaelle

"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

I am in process of making one for my granddaughter, using tulle, big bow and streamer ribbon to hang sugar cubes on, putting them together with a glue gun. (09/21/2009)

By marye41

"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

I have made my daughter a corsage on each birthday since she was 9. This year is the sugar cubes and just to test the waters, I said let's skip the corsage this year. She said - no way! (03/18/2010)

By MikeM1

February 16, 2008 Flag

How did they used to make "sweet sixteen" corsages?

Mary from Washington, MO

Answers:

"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

I'm going back a lot of years here, but I remember mine had pink and white carnations, pink tulle, and somehow there were sugar cubes wired in among everything. The sugar cubes were to represent the "sweet" part. (01/04/2007)

By lovethosehounds

"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

I remember these! We made them for our girlfriends even in elementary school. Using a large gift bow, we tied on the appropriate number of candies to correspond to the girls age. For sweet sixteen we used sugar cubes rather than candy. Sticks of gum worked well, too! (01/04/2007)

"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

As a floral designer, I have never heard of this, but I did read recently about one described as a "corsage of sixteen lumps of white sugar nestled in a bed of pink ribbons." Hope this helps. (01/04/2007)

By Tanya

"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

I remember them and the sugar cubes were held in place with pink or white pipe cleaners wrapped around each one...they also made them for "younger" birthdays with Mary Janes, tootsie rolls and any kind of candy that had a wrapper that you could wrap the pipe cleaner around...they usually had some kind of artificial flower and greenery in the background...they were either pin-on or wristlets (I'm 40 and I remember them well!) (09/05/2007)

By Cheryl

"Sweet Sixteen" Corsages

I also remember them well. They were sugar cubes secured with pipe cleaners and tulle. There were other candies that represented other birthdays. Lifesavers, etc. Haven't seen them in many years, but will make one for my granddaughters 16th. (01/21/2008)

By Diann

Corsage.
Making a Birthday Candy Corsage
Crafts FloralNovember 29, 2010
Pillows covered with scarves.
Craft Uses for Old Scarves
Votive Wrapped in Twine
Candle Craft Ideas
Photo of three red bricks.
Craft Ideas for Bricks
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
🎉
🎄