Heart Craft Project
This is a craft project I used at a "nursing home" for residents with limited ability. Prepare the individual packet before hand.
- 1 white fluted coffee filter
- 1 4" gold-foiled heart doily
- 1 red heart cut from craft foam sheet
- 1 red wide point marking pen
- 1 12" piece of thick red wool (crochet type)
- 1 9" white Styrofoam (flat bottom) plate
- 1 card stock paper
- computer or hand printed sign saying "Happy Valentine's Day"
- a pair of pinking shears
- a hole punch (handle type)
Note: punch holes after heart is assembled on plate
- rubber cement
- Tacky glue
- To make pattern for coffee filter heart, use a 6" doily similar to the 4" gold doily. Fold filter in half, trace pattern, and cut out heart with pinking shears.
- Take red wide point marker and make a line about 1/8" around edges.
- For small 2" red foam heart, make a pattern using the inside heart portion of the gold doily.
- Cut red foam heart out with pinking shears.
- Draw a dark circle in the center on the concave plate; have the resident put rubber cement in the circle, then have them center the coffee filter heart pressing down, then put rubber cement on the back of the 4" gold doily and press this down. Must use tacky glue on the back of the red foam heart (rubber cement does not hold) and press down.
- Have craft instructor punch two holes at top of plate and thread 12" piece of wool from the back and make a knot on the front, for the wall hanger.
- Use tacky glue to attach card stock message to the top of the plate. You can make stick on labels "Handmade by: (write name)" and stick on plate so visitors can see who made it ... since some are unable to speak!
By Ms. Syd Barr Dunkirk, MD
About The Author: Syd Barr is a long time ThriftyFun contributor.
By guest (Guest Post) Flag
February 17, 20090 found this helpful
what a great project idea, thank you !
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on September 22, 2016 at 7:10:44 PM on 10.0.1.91 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us