Crochet With Old T-Shirts

By Little Suzy 105 379

contest winner icon

I like to crochet rag rugs out of fabric scraps. However, you always have to deal with the edges fraying. I got an idea. My husband had about 11 old colored cotton tee shirts. I cut them up in 1 1/2 inch strips going around and around (the fewer strips you've got, the less sewing them together you have to do). Then I crocheted them into a round rug. I think it turned out beautiful. I use it on the side of the bed. It matches everything.

Finished project.

By Donna from Millbury, OH

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

great idea.

You could also knit the rug (rectangle) if one does not know how to crochet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Alicia 3 Flag

Now this is really cool! I love this idea, I have 2 college boys and a husband that has TONS of old T-shirts! What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Liz 15 131 Flag

I love the rug! Does anyone have suggestions for what to do with old sweaters? I especially like to crochet, but all ideas are welcome. Sweaters ravel a lot more than t-shirts do, so that may rule some ideas out! Thanks!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

That is really attractive. How did you do that without it curling? Can you post the pattern or tell us where to find it?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I love this idea! Can you send the crocheting directions?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I know a little bit about crocheting, but could you possibly give some directions as to how to start the rug and also how each row is crocheted? Thanks

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 Flag

Bet that feels nice and cushy when you step out of bed in the morning! good thinkin'!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Janice C. 18 710 Flag

I love this idea. I have some faded t-shirts that are only technically still wearable. Now they have a new purpose in life. I'm guessing you use about a J-sized hook (about 1/4" in diameter)?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Little Suzy 105 379 Flag

If anyone wants the directions for the rag rug made out of tee shirts e-mail me at jlockwood3@woh.rr.com. I can just send it to you. It does use a Q size hook. I've posted the directions for it on this website but honestly I'm not seeing it show up anywhere.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Ginger 9 4 Flag

Can anyone figure out knitting directions for preferably a round rug? I have directions to knit round washcloths so I guess it can be done. Has anyone tried?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Annie Rios Hill 14 1,776 Flag

Gorgeous rug. Looks like it would be so soft to step onto

on a cold winter morning. Great Idea!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

I've made these for years using T-shirts, old sweats, or other knit fabrics. The size hook can vary with the width of the strips. I like to make mine from a half double stitch. I've made circle rugs, oval rugs, and rectangular ones. I've found a jumbo crochet hook that makes the rugs really nice and thick, so they feel so soft underfoot. I think this in an absolutely wonderful way to recycle, and they last for years.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

to straightace;

I might suggest that you try cutting your sweaters into squares and crocheting them together to make one of a kind afghans.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cisco's Mom 15 148 Flag

I am really impressed! Your rug is just beautiful. Wouldn't it be great to make one for a wall hanging?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Donna 2 19 Flag

This is for little Suzy. I tried to e-mail you to get the instructions and I got my letter back and said that was not a correct e-mail address. I would like the instructions at dbrt73 AT yahoo.com

Thank you and I will try to make one as pretty as yours.

jlockwood3 AT woh.rr.com. This is your e-mail right? They said it was not a legal one.

Donna

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Round t-shirt rag rug.
Making a Rag Rug
Crafts CrochetSeptember 5, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
crochet snake
Making a Crochet Snake
Making a Bow Style Crochet Headband
Making a Bow Style Crochet Headband
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
Round t-shirt rag rug.
Making a Rag Rug
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 7:52:13 AM on 10.0.2.185 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings