What Is This PlantPlant Info

What is this plant? (Dieffenbachia)

I have this houseplant whose name I do not know, and I can't seem to find it in any Houseplant encyclopedia or photo list. It's been really unhealthy for the past few weeks but I can't figure out what I need to do if I don't know the name of the plant. I'm hoping that someone will recognize the plant and know the name and hopefully give me some tips on what is wrong with it. I have attached a photo, if anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
Bruna from Copiague, NY

I believe that is Dieffenbachia. I had one and found out that it's not real safe if children would try and eat it so I chose to get rid of mine. Plus, mine didn't look real healthy either.

How about the Audubon books( I think the spelling is wrong) They have ones that have flowers with pictures, etc, Probably plant ones, also. usually find those books, in the public libraries. Merry They have pictures of the leaves and etc,to help you figure them out

this is going to be spelled really wrong, but I hope you can figure it out haha. It looks like a diefenbockia. they can not take bright lsun. looks like your's might have gotten fried some where along the line. you can take cuttings and root in water.

It does look like the Dieffenbachia and it can be quite beautiful when it grows well. I'd take some out of the pot and plant in a light soil. If it can be placed in an area where there is a bit of the morning sunlight then I'd also try that; but definitely not harsh sunlight. Dieffenbachia leaves are also know to be poisonous if ingested so you have to take care with children and pets.

This one seems to be identified, but for furture reference, you can call or visit your local cooperative extension office. It's listed in the phone book under the government pages. Mine is in the local government, but my Dads is in the state. So you may have to do a little looking for it. They can also give you care tips for your area.

Definitely repot and take some out. Too much for that one pot.

You have a dumbcane on your hands! I'm kidding- but this is what it is called. Reason being, the juice in the "cane" can have a numbing effect- not very safe. The plant has either been watered too much or not enough. They are very hard to keep, although very pretty till you take them home.

Yep thats what is Dieffenbachia, it's an indoor plant and does not like direct sun light.. You need to either repot it in to a much bigger pot or seperate it in to other pots... I like to use the new moisture control soil by Miracle Grow for the soil needed in the pots.... Good Luck and enjoy, it is a beautiful plant...

Maddy

It is indeed a Dieffenbachia. Cut it back to about 3 inches above the soil. If the soil is wet, repot the plant (sometimes the soil smells musty). If musty, repot. If not too wet, let the soil dry out somewhat and put the plant in a location with no direct sun. In a few weeks, you should see new growth coming from each of the canes. You can also take the canes you cut off and root them - either in water or soil. You can bury part of the cane, or you can just pin it down on the soil and new roots will grow on the down side. Good Luck! Let us know if this worked.

It looks to me like a Chinese or Japanese Evergreen. I can't remember which. I have one the same.

yes it sure looks like a deiffenbachia, and yes it could be that it has been either over-watered or under-watered at some point. to see if this is the problem tap the bottom of the pot and take the plant out to see if you still have good roots (healthy are usually whitish colored on most plants) but before you do this, hold the plant up to bright light and see if there is any real fine spider webbing, which would indicate spider mites. if so, try a pump spray of insecticide for spider mites. if you have always watered the same, this could be your problem,and if it is make sure to check all your plants for them. I've found that if one has them, usually others do too, then isolate the ones that do from others but keep checking all your plants for them.

It's dieffenbachia - prefers diffused sunlight, tolerates low light. Soil may dry out between waterings. Moderate to warm home temperature 65-75 F.

Moisture, moisture, moisture plus lots of light! If you have any pets, don't allow them to chew on the leaves. They aren't toxic but they numb the mouth(thus the moniker "dumb cane") and you'll have your dog or cat drooling everywhere!