Dance Theme Ideas

Planning a dance is easier once you have decided on a theme. This is a guide about dance theme ideas.

September 28, 2016 Flag

This guide is about middle school dance theme ideas. When planning a school dance, you want to choice a theme that is fun, easy and inexpensive to decorate for.

Tween girl dancing against a white background

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 29, 2013 Flag

You should totally have like a star dance floor. Maybe get like silver paint or stick down silver material on a star shaped wooden board. Make sure it is really big!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 25, 2012 Flag

Can anyone please suggest to me some simple, yet attention grabbing, dance themes with a meaningful message for 3 year old children?

By Deepika

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

They are three. They don't know what a theme is nor a message. But babies like to count up to their age. Find some music that is in 3/4 time. Then do every thing in groups of three. 3 crackers on each of their plates. 3 cracker sized pieces of cheese to one side. Let them put the cheese on the crackers as they count to 3. Get 3 balloons for each baby (not the floating ones.) Put them in a closed off spot but where they can reach them on the floor.

Let each baby go and get 3 balloons, one at a time, bring it to you, so you can tie a string to it. Then they can drag them around in a circle over the carpet while "Dancing" 3 times in one direction, then switching. Put a coffee table in the center or footstool to dance around. When you serve cake cut each of their pieces in to 3 smaller pieces. Use a small spoon to make 3 small scoops of ice cream on each plate. = 1 regular scoop. 3 small balls to play with. Sit on the floor in a circle, push all balls across floor. Any other "groups of three" will work.

Best Answer

I think "sharing" would be a simple enough theme for three-year-olds to understand and portray. It could be fun if you used colorful props they could share (i.e., hand to each other) during the dance. Maybe you can make very cheap tissue paper and pipe cleaner flowers they could even share with the audience at the end of the dance. These cost pennies, take only 30 seconds to make, and are very colorful (or they could be made in a color complementing the childrens' outfits).

March 1, 2005 Flag

I am part of the Eighth grade social committee and the eighth grade has voted on the theme and they have decided to have a Moonlight theme. if anyone has any ideas that we could use please post them. Those ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Courtney - Maine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi there everyone, I have just been told that i have to organize a school ball in 7 weeks. I'm thinking of doing a night themed ball and calling it "Midnight Enchantments"

I am also struggling to come up with decoration ideas. Can someone please help me? Thanks, A friend in need

Ok. Well I'm the STUCO president and our last dance we did a night under the stars so...

August 26, 2015 Flag

I am homeschooled with a big group. We've had several past dances; all failed because of dresscode and decorations. This year we're thinking of a black and white themed dance. Any suggestions to make this actually good?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you want B& W theme...why not REQUIRE the kids wear white or very light colors and use black lights in a major part of the room? Might be wild and quirky!

If I held a B&W themed event I would show some old cool B&W movies in one corner and ask the kids to dress as their favorite STARS...the other kids might have to guess who they are portraying. Winner gets a small prize?

This might be a good event around Halloween!

I'd serve b&w drinks and food too..(chocolate/vanilla shakes or floats, hard boiled eggs, white cheddar macaroni salad with black olives,....you get the idea just do some research for black and white foods online yourself) Of course look for songs that highlight either black and white or Opposites.

Hope you all have fun!

September 19, 2007 Flag

My school has a winter formal each year, but no one goes with dates, it's more of everyone dancing and having a great time. I was wondering if anyone had ideas for a theme? I've found that a lot of themes are too romantic to fit the dance. I was thinking more of using a song for a theme, like one that people get pumped about when they hear it and want to start dancing, but I can't think of a song. Or, a fun theme like "Roaring 20s". Any ideas of a non-romantic, but still fun theme? I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks!
Caitlin from Burlington, VT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use Pink's song Get this party started....use a color like teal blue or aqua ...hang records or cd's you can use the free one's from any store or make Ipods out of cardboard

do like a beauty and the geek theme. thats what we did for morp last year and it was absolutely HILARIOUS. in our group the boys were the geeks and the girls were the beauties. we got SO many compliments. but you could tell people to dress up as either one.

April 22, 2007 Flag

I am looking for specific ideas for an 8th grade end-of-middle school dance. We have decided on a Star theme - under the stars, or wish upon a star. I want to use metallic color balloons. Otherwise, we don't really know what to do. All you creative people in this group, can you help with ideas? Especially with how to make giant stars, and how to use them in decor?

I love reading tips here and have used many of them. Thanks.

Tere from Austin, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My school is doing a "Hollywood" theme dance this year and i have know idea what i should do for my outfit any ideas?

Well as a student myself I think that you making a theme for your dance is great. Our dances were always boring theme-less and just hot sweaty kids in the cafeteria. Cardboard and foam is stuff easy to manipulate into shapes. You should use spotlights instead of just the light. and dances are funner when its "dim"

September 24, 2013 Flag

I am hosting our 6th grade dance and I need some ideas for the theme of the dance.

By Sandra F

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have hosted three sixth grade dances and these are some of the themes we considered.

-Glow Party- use black lights and have everyone dress in white

-Winter Whiteout- decorate everything in white and have people come in white

-Red Carpet- Roll out a red carpet and decorate with golden stars

-80's- have everyone come in 80's attire

-Under the Sea- Decorate with star fish, fish, seaweed, etc.

-Prince and Princess- decorate like it's a castle and have everyone come in dressed like their fave prince or princess

Hope this helped :)

Try an around the world& traveling dance! or a glow in the dark funk dance! Try not to do something to lovey Dovey cause it will make the kids feel awkward.

August 6, 2007 Flag

Hi, I'm supposed to be in charge of decorating our school's Homecoming this Fall, well along with my partner of course. We're the Decorations commissioners of our ASB so, yeah, it's pretty much our job. Well, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips on decorating a "Dancing Through Time"/"Dancing Through Decades" type dance. A couple of our ideas were possibly making it kind of black and white, and very vintage looking, or with very bold colors also making it look vintage. Our goal is to go BIG and make it something our school has never seen before. We have a pretty big budget to work from this year, so we're taking it up a notch. We really need help, and I'm open to new ideas! THANK YOU!

Michelle from San Diego, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I favour the black and white theme overall. But since its vintage, don't forget to add sepia(a kind of brown tint or stain like you see on really old photographs) to some of the posters or pictures that would truly make them seem old. One way would be to stain the edges with strong tea for posters and pictures. A bit of antiqued lace and flapper fringe wouldn't hurt either. I'm seeing tuxes or dark suits with snow white shirts for the guys, beaded flapper style dresses, headbands with feathers in them for the girls. Actually, I'd be tempted to add a touch of silver to glitz up the black and white. Big band music and jazz are a must. If you can find pics of old phonograph players and antique wooden floor model radios that could be blown up, that would cool too. You have to remember that this is my generation's idea of vintage though. Just have fun, whatever you pick.

Hi Michelle, I see that there are a lot of great ideas coming in for you and your project! If you have a large budget maybe you can rent (or borrow) some mannequins to use as props. Dress them accordingly and place them around the gym with some of the other props. Maybe you could use some special lighting to show off each area.

Like using the juke box and have a female in a poodle skirt. Maybe a guy and girl in a dance pose. I hope that you get what I'm trying to say. God Bless!

December 17, 2008 Flag

I am on the committee for my Junior High school's dance. We are having trouble deciding on a theme. We would appreciate your suggestions.

Gavriel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a theme from a certain country. I would suggest a Mexican theme, I was really into that when I was in Jr High. Hope it works out OK.

Try a neon. Make it so fun and loud. You'll have the party to remember :D Enjoy :P(

July 24, 2008 Flag

We're having a jungle/safari themed dance. How should we decorate it?

TT92 from Ottawa, On

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hibiscus flowers everywhere, fake of course!

Check orientaltrading.com because they have AWESOME stuff for CHEAP! If you sign up for their e-newsletter, they will send you offers for free shipping. Right now, they are having a MONSTER sale on party decorations!

November 24, 2006 Flag

I'm the student council president at my school and I was wondering if anyone had any decorating ideas for a classic christmas themed semi formal dance.

Thanks,
J MAC from Courtice, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Last year my school had a "Winter Wonderland" dance in our cafeteria. We decorated the caf. like it was winter out hanging plastic snowflakes from the ceiling and fake snow scattered everywhere. We even had a choco. fountain and a punch fountain. We had white lights and it was really cool. This year we might even have carriage rides.

I am a planner of my Early College program's Christmas dance. I am going to have a very nice dance with all of the Christmas house decorations like snowflakes, small golden trees, little winter decors and the red, green, and gold color scheme. My committee and I are planning to have Christmas cookies and snacks and a Christmas King and Queen.

January 1, 2014 Flag

I am chairing the high school's Winterball which is a step up from a Homecoming. We need to incorporate snowflakes and stars. What should the title of our theme be?

By M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Magical Winter's Eve... Good Luck!

July 24, 2009 Flag

I need dance theme ideas. I'm president of student council and yearbook. We always have dances and I need to come up with themes.

By Josifer

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A 60's dance is always good. Poodle skirts and ducktail hair styles, great fun.

Breakfast at Tiffany's, Hippie Peace and Love, Surf's Up, The Force Be With You or use names of songs like Good Golly Miss Molly, Penny Lane, Revolution, Let's Dance and build the chosen theme based on the era, subject, artist ;-)

August 28, 2013 Flag

I am looking for a dance theme, which is basically "Colors of Celebration" and I am blank on this. Please help. It's a banking organisation and we are looking for maximum participation. Which involves higher levels too.

By Glory

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Green, black, white, silver and gold....and paper that has the texture/look of bills.

May 14, 2006 Flag

This year I am in charge of decorating the Grade 8's dance. We chose a beach theme, but my partner in crime and I are having a few obstacles with trying to have the gym looking good. Since this is basically a graduation dance, we would like to make it really fun and would like the setting to look quite impressive. Any beach-themed decorating ideas would be VERY helpful.

Thanks,
Alice

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For my beach-themed b/day party, one of the decorations I made were giant thongs/flipflops. I used brightly coloured A4 paper and drew large thong shapes and used contrasting coloured strips for the straps. I stuck these all over windows & they looked fab. You could maybe also string up some netting and put some toy fish inside. Beachballs and inflatable airbeds are also good. For table decoration I used kid's sandbuckets and spades...some shells...and snorkel masks. Have fun : )

When my son was in 9th grade they had a spring dance that had a beach theme. One of the mom's brought in a bunch of her own houseplants (Caladiums, a rubber tree and several different kinds of palms) We arranged these in one corner of the room on a fairly large tarp.(This will help when it comes time to clean up!) We left a little room behind it so we could place a small kiddie pool with about 2" of water in it. On either side if the pool we placed an old milk crate, on one we put a small fan pointed at the surface of the water. On the other crate we placed one of those old fashioned light wheels they used to use for aluminum christmas trees, also pointed down at the water. In front of the plants, to help camoflage all this stuff, we got a couple of yards of burlap, in a sandy beige color and drapped it around the pots to sort of resemble a sand dune. Then just to finish it off we emptied about 5 or 6 bags of play sand over the edges of the burlap and out a little way, making our own little beach! You can usually find a lot of things like sea shells, little fishermans nets, bucket & shovel sets to embellish your beach, at places like Hobby Lobby, Michael's, even sometimes at Walmart, possibly even at the Dollar stores. The coolest thing is when the lights are lowered a bit and you turn on the "special effects" You get all these rippling, reflections on the walls and ceiling just like the ocean was just outside! It's wowed our kids to no end and ended up being the one part of the decor that every one wanted their picture taken with! Sometimes if you just ask, some stores will donate or at least reduce prices for you when you are buying things for these type of events. Also if you can't find one of the color wheel lights you could use one of those clamp-on spot lights, you just won't get all the pretty changing colors, still a cool effect though. We also used some of the other suggestions ,already given to decorate the rest of the room. I might add if you are having a band or DJ or simply a sound system you might want to set it up next to your beach to add to the beach party effect.

August 31, 2010 Flag

I'm on the student council of my school. My friend and I want to do a circus/carnival themed dance. We need games for the dance that are not childish. And we need some fun games that high school kids would like. Also, what kind of foods could we have?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Holidays and Parties Parties School DancesApril 3, 2013
daddy daughter dance ideas
Planning a Daddy Daughter Dance
3 girls at a homecoming dance.
Homecoming Dance Ideas
Middle School Dance Theme Ideas
How to Belly Dance, Beautiful Bealldancer
How to Belly Dance
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 4:41:27 PM on 10.0.1.21 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.