Song Dance Theme Ideas

My school has a winter formal each year, but no one goes with dates, it's more of everyone dancing and having a great time. I was wondering if anyone had ideas for a theme? I've found that a lot of themes are too romantic to fit the dance. I was thinking more of using a song for a theme, like one that people get pumped about when they hear it and want to start dancing, but I can't think of a song. Or, a fun theme like "Roaring 20s". Any ideas of a non-romantic, but still fun theme? I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks!
Caitlin from Burlington, VT

Roaring 20's is good - or a 50s sock hop poodle skirt Happy Days type of idea.

I think a song theme that makes everyone want to dance is also good - but not knowing what songs are popular with your friends and schoolmates I don't have any good ideas.

You could do something like ICE ICE BABY. It was so cool, it was the best hit in our school.

In the 50's were two songs that will give you ideas-- one was "Rock Around the Clock" and the other was "The Bunny Hop"--

Rock around the clock was all sorts of rock and roll-- the time of poodle skirts, bobby socks and neck scarves-- there are some Annette Funichello (sp) movies to give you some ideas....Also check out American Bandstand-- it was a TV show....LIVE no less! but all the "new" dances across the nation..
Bunny Hop was a dance done at the same time-- no real steps-- you got in a line with hands on the hips of the person in front-- and sang along while doing the steps-- I'm sure you have a grandma, uncle or someone who knows all about it.....
Have a great time!

The '60s had a lot of fun music that wasn't really romantic - Alley Oop, The Twist, Peppermint Twist, Loco-Motion, Monster Mash, Downtown. I googled '60s music hits and found lots of sites. Stinalisa.com/60smusichits is a good one.

Use Pink's song Get this party started....use a color like teal blue or aqua ...hang records or cd's you can use the free one's from any store or make Ipods out of cardboard

do like a beauty and the geek theme. thats what we did for morp last year and it was absolutely HILARIOUS. in our group the boys were the geeks and the girls were the beauties. we got SO many compliments. but you could tell people to dress up as either one.

sock hop is good...or depending on where you live and what kind of music you like--you could go all out on line dance themes--countyr, electric slide, etc.--its for sure a dance where there are no partners!