Substitution for Soy Flour in a Recipe

I cannot use soy products. If a recipe calls for soy flour, what can I substitute instead? And will the quantity be the same?

By Frenchy from Phoenix, AZ

Have you tried using chickpea (garbanzo) flour instead? It is a protein flour as is soy flour. It is worth a try.

Can you try cornstarch? Soy flour is mainly used as a binding agent, so I would imagine cornflour would be just as good. I live in Europe and we have something called custard powder here. it isn't sweet and its a great binding agent. Don't know if you can find it in the U.S.

It's going to depend on what you are cooking or what you're baking. These two links will be very helpful if you study them (there are helpful sub-links for most of the flours listed too):

August 31, 2010 Flag

I have a brownie recipe that calls for soy flour, what type of flour can I substitute?

By DAnnM from CA

Substitution for Soy Flour in a Recipe

Any flour will work. You may have to use a bit less if you use wheat flour. They suggest soy flour because it has more protein. (06/01/2009)

By Cyinda

Substitution for Soy Flour in a Recipe

Agreed, any flour....almond flour, oat flour, coconut flour, whole wheat flour, anything but soy flour! (06/03/2009)

By Selahgal

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceAugust 31, 2010
Using Soy Flour
Using Soy Flour
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Recipes Using Soy