Substitution for Soy Flour in a Recipe

I cannot use soy products. If a recipe calls for soy flour, what can I substitute instead? And will the quantity be the same?

By Frenchy from Phoenix, AZ

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Have you tried using chickpea (garbanzo) flour instead? It is a protein flour as is soy flour. It is worth a try.

Can you try cornstarch? Soy flour is mainly used as a binding agent, so I would imagine cornflour would be just as good. I live in Europe and we have something called custard powder here. it isn't sweet and its a great binding agent. Don't know if you can find it in the U.S.

It's going to depend on what you are cooking or what you're baking. These two links will be very helpful if you study them (there are helpful sub-links for most of the flours listed too):

http://www.foodsubs.com/Flournw.html

http://www.foodsubs.com/Flour.html

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

I have a brownie recipe that calls for soy flour, what type of flour can I substitute?

By DAnnM from CA

Answers:

Substitution for Soy Flour in a Recipe

Any flour will work. You may have to use a bit less if you use wheat flour. They suggest soy flour because it has more protein. (06/01/2009)

By Cyinda

Substitution for Soy Flour in a Recipe

Agreed, any flour....almond flour, oat flour, coconut flour, whole wheat flour, anything but soy flour! (06/03/2009)

By Selahgal

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceAugust 31, 2010
Using Soy Flour
Using Soy Flour
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Tofu
Recipes Using Soy
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 8, 2016 at 11:20:09 AM on 10.0.1.76 in 687 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.