Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Pop Can Chicken

I am looking for Beer Can Chicken on the grill using a can of pop in place of the beer. Also, need to know how to do the entire process of prep and grilling.

Karen Sue from Jenison, MI

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Louise B. [4]07/29/2008

ggmsmolly -- Who discards half a can of beer? Wouldn't the cook drink it?

By Barbara Jean [2]07/29/2008

The previous post are right on time and things. I have used the orange pineapple soda and all so I used a white wine. just pour some wine in an empty can I put rosemary sprigs garlic and just seasoning I like I all so like to mix up some dry seasonings and rub on the chicken and let it marinate for all day or overnight like I said I use spices I like. Hope this helped. I all so have the racks made for doing the beer but chicken and the ones I have I have to buy a 5 lb chicken because the ring where the can fits is of course larger and if you don't buy a big chicken you have a hard time getting the chicken over the can.

By (Guest Post)07/28/2008

Doing chicken this way makes it very juicy! I tried orange soda and root beer once (separately) and the meat tends to taste like the soda you use. Beer doesn't leave much of a flavor. We just season the chicken, use 1/2 can of liquid of your choice, set the chicken on the can, place on the grill (not directly over coals/burner) and keep the heat even (we try to keep it at 250-300 degrees). Grilling times vary, be sure to use a thermometer, when temp reaches 180 degrees you are ready to eat! Home Depot has a chicken holder for around $3.00 if you can't find one at Wal-Mart. Be careful, this chicken can be addicting!

By Molly Garza [1]07/27/2008

Pop Can or Up The Butt Chicken
INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer (can use non-diet soda)
1 (4 pound) whole chicken

DIRECTIONS
Preheat an outdoor grill for low heat.
In a small skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter. Mix in 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 1 tablespoon paprika, salt, and pepper.
Discard 1/2 the beer, leaving the remainder in the can. Add remaining butter, garlic salt, paprika, and desired amount of salt and pepper to beer can. Place can on a disposable baking sheet. Set chicken on can, inserting can into the cavity of the chicken. Baste chicken with the melted, seasoned butter.
Place baking sheet with beer and chicken on the prepared grill. Cook over low heat for about 3 hours, or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C).
FOOTNOTE
Approximate Grilling Times for Chicken and Poultry

By Carmen (Guest Post)07/26/2008

You buy a stand at walmart, clean prep your chicken, I use an injecter with italian seasoning, put the bird over the stand with a can of soda in the middle( opened) and cook slowly.