Cigarette Smoke Smell on Furniture

My husbands Aunt gave us a chair with a stool. The problem is that she smokes and the chair smells terrible. I tried to Febreeze it. I Febreezed it to death but can't seem to get rid of the smell. The chair was well taken care of otherwise. I don't know what to do. Please help.

Denise from Marion, NY

You can try sprinkling a tiny bit of vinegar on it. It may take 5-7 applications, but it should work. In between a couple of dry-times, sprinkle with baking soda, let set for a couple hours. Then vaccum clean. Vinegar again, etc.

Hope that helps!

You could try using a steam cleaner with an upholstery attachment. If you don't have one, you may be able to rent one with this attachment. Cigarette smell is a pain to get rid of. Good luck!

I had a chair just like that! I also tried to Febreeze it, but like you said, it doesn't really work. The only thing that really worked for me was cleaning it with a steam cleaner, and then sitting it out in the sunshine for a while. It still smelled faintly of smoke, but it was much less.

Know that bicarbonate soda is great for sick and urine never tried it on fag reek but if you wet the chair down and sprinkled and hoovered once dry may just work. Might be worth a shot if nothing else works.

A product called Zero Odor, works WONDERS!! My mom lives with us she smoke, Zero odor works on smoke smell. Cat boxes, doggie bed, musty basement smell!

It's a little pricy, but you don't use much and it REALLY does work.

My mom uses Simple Green to clean after my brother's been staying at home for awhile (he's a smoker). Just be careful and test it if its a light color.

If its so strong that doesn't take care of it, she steam cleans it and sits it out in the sun. A few times in the fresh air and it using smells fine again.

I'm trying to clean some sunroom furniture - with bamboo-type wood, and am having a hard time getting the smell out. the thing that seems to help most is getting a pail with a gallon or 2 of hot water, add several drops of essential oil of cinnamon (health food store), a one-pound container of baking soda, 1 or 2 tablespoons of shaklee's basic I (or maybe a regular dish soap would work), and about 1/4-1/2 cup of calcium hyroxide (Mrs. Wage's Pickling lime- available at grocery store). This stuff is the most powerful degreaser (cig smoke leaves an oily residue), as well as a super-strong alkaline mixture (cig smoke is really acid)... After dousing it with this, I still needed to put it out in the sun...a word to the wise...always ask if the second-hand product you're buying comes from a smoke-free home!!

Maybe you are using the wrong Febreeze. Try Febreeze Antibicrobial. My friend works for a car company and she uses this to clean the insides.

I used that and it didn't take the smell out.

We bought what we thought was a new mattress and got it home it smelled of cigarettes. We sprayed it with febreeze and it worked great. We are still sleeping on it 10 years later.

Anonymous

Baking soda

Soft wisk brush

Sprinkle soda all over fabric

Cover white a cotton fabric

Let it set for 20 minutes

Remove fabric

Brush as much soda off the fabric

Then vacuum to all soda is completely gone

If then any of the cushions or fabric can be removed

Place a piece or two I to a large black garage bag

Place one or two dryer sheets between cushions

Using your vacuum cleaner reverse the hose so you can suck the air out of the Black bag with item. (Twist the black bag tight around you hose, and turn on for 35 to 60 seconds)

Now you should have a very pleasant and order free Proud it.

Then