Pantry PestsPest Control

What do flour worms look like?

Category Pantry Pests

What do flour worms look like?

Sallie from Willoughby, OH

I don't know what they look like, either. But if there is something in your flour, that wasn't there when you were in the flour bin last, toss out everything in the flour bin. Time to buy brand new flour. Also, time to reinvest in some air tight containers.

We always called them "mealy bugs". They are very, very small and white. I have been married for 35 years and have never had them in any of my flour, cornmeal, oatmeal, etc. When I got married my aunt told me to always keep a couple of bay leaves in my containers of flour, etc. It really works and doesn't change the taste of the product.

An employee of a flour mill told me to put my new bag of flour in the freezer for 3 days and this will kill all the bug eggs. I thought it would damage the flour (make it sticky, clumpy...) - but it doesn't affect it. Then take out of the freezer and put it in whatever container you usually use (or leave it in the paper bag and enclose in a larger plastic container.

I have used Wrigley's Spearmint Gum . I unwrap a piece and put it in my flour, rice, cornmeal, anything. No, it does not pick up the taste of the gum. It smells like it, but it does not have the flavor. A ninety two year old lady told me this about twenty years ago. I use it it works.