Remedies for Worms in Cats

Category Health
Cat owners sometimes look for remedies for worms other than a trip to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in cats.

If you decide to get a new kitten, either now or in the near future, please make sure you have the new baby dewormed.

I have just added another new one to the menagerie and was going a little crazy as she was determined that she had to be fed every time someone went near the refrigerator. When I phoned the vet, they suggested she be dewormed. The medicine is not expensive, it cost me $7.07 (cdn) and there is enough there to deworm 10 kittens! (an added bonus is that a free syringe is supplied and whatever is in this stuff the kitten seemed to think it tasted wonderful!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

This is a worming medicine that is designed for dogs. It kills all intestinal worms except for tapeworms. The taste is acceptable to all 11 of my cats and they put up little resistance to taking it.

There are other pills and liquids available, but if they don't take it it will do them no good ;). Dose according to weight of animal.

My daughter has an 18 year old cat (Princess) that has been troubled with tape worms. She bought some of the diatomaceous earth and has been mixing this in her food for about 2 weeks. She says there are live worms in Princess's stool and I wondered if anyone can tell us how long it may take to rid her of these worms.

By cybergrannie from Ocala, FL

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

No offense but home remedies do not always work for tape worms and Princess should be getting medication from a vet and especially because of her age and then the worms will be gone in a day or two that way! Princess isn't getting enough nutrition because the worms are eating it. :-(

Best Answer

I gave my cats diatomaceous earth twice to help with worms and about a week later one of my cats was severely dehydrated and ended up passing away. Apparently she was diabetic and I did not know so the DE could have just exasperated the health situation but I think it's funny that a week after feeding th this stuff she was severely dehydrated and that is how DE kills parasites. You see a lot of pages saying how safe it is but I have found a few that say otherwise. On one a vet told a woman that this stuff is toxic to cats, on another it says that you should not continuously give it to your cats and on others in regards to human consumption it says that it can be very dehydrating.

If you do decide to chance it and feed it to your cats please be very careful and keep a close eye on them so you don't end up in a situation like me. I have had the most awful week and it was heart breaking to not only lose my cat but to know may have been the one to cause her the problem and I don't want it to happen to anybody else or their pet. God Bless.

Best Answer

Diatomite did NOT kill anyone's cat. The worms did. Worms themselves often cause diarrhoea. Which dehydrates cats. Especially kittens. I've got 60 cats, all raised from birth right on my property. Outdoors. Diatomaceous Earth is not provably for deworming via ingestion, though some swear by it. I keep it around because, by keeping it mixed in my cats' fur, it keeps fleas somewhat under control, which stops worms from becoming so abundant that my cats have no way to fight for their health (long enough to become big from lots of solid food). Tapeworms kill.

And fleas facilitate worms. Tapeworms can stay afloat only if fleas go unchecked. Else, they will lose the battle for your cats' lives. Get rid of tapeworms with praziquantel (contained in Droncit & Drontal). For roundworms, use pyrantel palmoate. Both are available over the counter. Drontal is pricey. It's worth it if you're rich.
(Pictured: Darrell is 1 year old. DE keeps him healthy. 3 of his sibs died from worms before I first used it. He gets his fur powdered. I don't feed it to him, really. Used to. But no evidence it deworms, despite the hype. The significance is, it fights fleas.
No fleas? No worms. Eventually.)

Best Answer

From my research, tapeworms take the longest amount of time to be treated with diotamacious earth. Atleast 30 days is recommended.

Does anyone know a home remedy for worms in cats/dogs?

Answers

Best Answer

There are different worms a pet can have and only your vet is able to diagnose the type of worm or worms your pet has. The correct treatment will vary depending upon the exact type of worm or worms.

Please take your pet to your vet to identify the worm and provide the correct treatment. Delaying treatment will only make the problem worse and increase the cost.

Best Answer

I use this product for my cats and my kittens. It works on worms, parasites and fleas. It's called Diatomaceous Earth (D.E.). There are two types of D.E., pool grade and food grade. Food grade is the one you want. You can also used it on yourself. It kills any parasites that you may have. It is a natural product. You can use it on kittens to get rid of fleas. I put a 1/2 tsp. in their cat food and in the kitten's bottles. I sprinkled the D.E. on all my carpets, left it on for three hours. Then I vacuumed it up and got rid of the contents right away. I took a pair of panty hose and cut the leg off and filled it with D.E. Tie a knot and use it to powder your cats and kittens. Please put a paper towel over their face so they do not breathe it in. That goes for you too, it is not good to breathe it in. You can also use this product for roaches, ants, and any other bugs that have a hard shell. You can use it in your garden. It will not kill earthworms because they do not have a hard shell. I found it on Amazon. Make sure that the D.E. that you get is <b>Food Grade</b>. Good luck!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Chop some carrots up just small to swallow the don't digest it it scrapes the worms and they through it up or use Punkin seeds

I just found round worms on my kitten's butt. How do I get rid of them? I don't have the money to take her to the vet. It has to be able to be given to a 13 week old kitten.

By Liz B.

How do I treat feline worms, round worms and string looking worms? I need a home remedy or good cheap med to fix this problem. It also has to be something that tastes good to the cat.

By Audrey

Answers

Best Answer

There are many different worms your cat can have. Some you can see, some you can't. If you buy the wormer at the pet store it gets certain types of worms. It is less effective than what you get from the Vet. It can have side effects for the cat. The stringy worms you are talking about are round worms. I really recommend you take your cat to the Vet and get the job done right.

I bought an over the counter med for deworming my cats. I gave it to them four days ago and now they seem really sick and I haven't seen any results in their stool. How long does it take and can they live long happy lives with worms?

By Mon

Answers

Best Answer

Some over the counter wormers are rough on cats. Be especially careful with kittens. Find a Vet for a wormer that works and doesn't make your cat sick. Cats can tolerate some worms, but it depends on what kind they are and how old the cat is and how many they are. Check you local shelter for low cost Vet care. I am sure they will help you.

What is the medication that I can buy for cats that have tapeworms, if I can not afford a vet?

By Jackie

Would a tape worm make a cat get fatter?

By Pauly from MI

Answers

Best Answer

Your cat can have any of a number of worm parasites, including tapeworm, and worms can make a cat's abdominal area larger or "pot bellied". Please take your cat to your vet to identify the problem and provide treatment. Note that there are "worm treatments" you can buy at pet stores, however, if you do not know the specific type of worm, you cannot provide the correct treatment. Please do not wait to take your cat to your vet to help him or her feel much better.

My cat has tape worms. What home remedy can I use?

By Aaliyah

I have a female feral cat that has tapeworms. I was told that I can't give anything since she is feeding 6 kitties, 4 weeks old. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the worms? Can the cat transmit the worms to the kitties?

By Marcela from Queen NY

Answers

Yuck! Worms! Lol. Unfortunately, even YOU and the people that pet this cat can pick up the worms unknowingly. Please consult a vet, as wormer is a poison and can seriously harm and even kill a cat that has a large population of worms. And yes, the babies probably already have worms.

Anonymous

Call a vet ASAP! Not only are you risking mama's life but also the kittens if you don't take care of this right away! Tapeworms eat all the nutrients both mama and babies need to survive!

Ingesting both fleas and the intestines of mice or rats infected with tapeworms is what causes them so it would be prudent to check your pets periodically for them in the future.

I have a male cat Max. He likes to go out and catch rodents. I do not let him out willingly. He has a brother and sister that live in the same house, and he is constantly crying at me for food. I don't know if he may have worms, but he has visited the vet before for this. I have researched that, and maybe he just wants attention. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you.

By Michelle

I have a 4 yr old Maine Coon Tabby mix, Jayden. I think he may have tapeworms, but I am not sure though. He's losing hair and has kinda bloody patches where he is itching like crazy. I have tried Lamisil and over the counter tape worm meds and nothing seems to work. It started to go away a little and he was starting to grow hair back, but that didn't last long. He's eating good, but not gaining too much weight. My dog Chyna is not having any type of problems. I am at my wits end and don't have the money for a vet. I give him baths every other day or try to with Dawn dish soap.

By Leslie

I treated my cats and kittens for fleas and worms. One of the kittens has worms again and now they all have fleas again. I have put Advantage on them for 2 months now. Please someone help!

By melody from Wilson, NY

Are there any home remedies for the worms that look like "rice"? My cat had babies and now she has these thingies.

By Lori from Chilliwack, BC

Answers

Sounds like tapeworms. They go hand-in-hand with fleas. A flea is ingested by the cat, and the worms come from the fleas (I might not be explaining 100% accurately, but this is the best way I know to explain it). You need to treat for fleas AND tapeworms. We just went through this last year with a stray kitten we rescued. We were told by the vet that 14 days after the flea is ingested we'll see evidence of the worms.

There are some topical flea treatments that also treat for SOME worms and mites . . . but they do NOT treat for tapeworms. We tried the topical flea treatments and a topical tapeworm treatment. It was expensive, and didn't work for this cat. After fighting with it for several months (and treating the house, but neither of our other cats had problems), I took him back to the vet and explained what we had been going through. They gave him an oral tapeworm treatment, and an oral flea treatment. The flea treatment can be given every day, but it just took one treatment, and we've been flea/worm free for months!

I recommend you take them to the vet. The kittens probably have worms, too. Their bellies will be fat with worms, and that's really bad for them. Best of luck!

Hello, No...there is not a home remedy. Your fur baby has Tapeworms. They must be treated by your Veterinarian. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please go ASAP as your baby can get really sick. Good Luck.

Anonymous

It's best to get meds from a vet because it depends on the weight of the cat how much of a dosage they should have. Also, since mommy is nursing, that needs to be mentioned too.

Worms are not good for any being and if your baby has tapeworms that is really dangerous because the tapeworms eat all the nutrients from the foods the animal eats. Please take a fresh stool sample (you don't need to take the cat which would cost more for a vet check) to be analysed. If your cat does indeed have worms, vet offices that are not greedy will weigh your cat for free so you can get a prescription.

Our family consists of my husband and myself, and
our 4 grown married children. Everyone of my
children grew up with pets of all kinds and descriptions. Everything except the fish got
food-grade diatomaceous earth in their food all
the time. We NEVER had a problem with worms
with any animal. Just be sure it's food grade
and don't be afraid to use it.

Our grown children all have pets, dogs, cats, a horse, birds, and lots of fresh and salt water fish.
I don't suppose any one of them would be caught
without diatomaceous earth.

Now, my hubby and I have only one kitty. We just sprinkle it over his dry food, and if he even knows it's there, I'm surprised.

If you do have a really fussy pet, you could
just dust it into their fur or feathers...being
careful not to have them breathe it in.

I hope this helps. Since you have nursing kittens,
rub it into the mama kitty's tummy really well so
that it's no longer dusty. The babies will ingest diatomaceous earth from their mother's nipples, and just getting that much of the remedy might
be all you need for them as little as they are.

Wishing you the best of luck with them.
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I found my kitten vomiting, and there were tapeworms in it. He is just 3 months old. What medicine should give him? I would be very grateful if you have a suggestion.

By R. Zaman

Would D Wormer liquid wormer work on cats that have tapeworms? Can anther cat get sick from one who has the worms?

By elaine from Providence, RI

I am 12 weeks pregnant and just found my cat (I have 3 "indoor" cats) throwing up a pile of "life" roundworms. I also have a 6 year old child. What do I need to do? I will take that cat to the vet and get him and the other 2 treated. I have isolated all the cats in different rooms. Now do I have to "wash" all my carpets and upholstery? I have a large house! Do I have to take my child to the doctor? Can they even test if she is infected? How long should I isolate the cats?

Thank you for any answers!

Answers

By Sarah (Guest Post)

CALL YOUR CHILDS PEDIATRICIAN!! Plus mention this on your next check up.

Your vet should be able to answer these questions. Also, call the pediatrician right away--and keep calling until you get him/her on the line.

By Sherri (Guest Post)

Please take your cats, yes all your cats to the vet asap. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years and I know that your Vet will want to see your animals. Please take a sample of the worm with you to the vet so they can see which ones they are. Cats will throw up Tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by injesting flea eggs. If they are round worms, they usually come from the dirt. Also, please call your child's Dr. if your child has been around the cats or playing. Your Vet can give them medication to get rid of the worms. SINCE YOU ARE PREGNANT DO NOT CHANGE THE LITTER PAN, THERE IS A CHANCE YOU COULD GET TOXOPLASMOSIS. PLEASE ASK YOUR DR. ABOUT THIS. STAY AWAY FROM CAT FECES...
I hope all goes well for you......

By (Guest Post)

Thank you. I have taken my daughter to the doc and also called the vet who did not want to see my cat (!) but let me pick up medication. I gave it to all 3 cats and had them seperated for 3 days. The "wormy" cat I still have in a seperate room.
I have not touched the litterboxes since I got pregnant, but they all sleep in our beds. Now I have the doors to our bedrooms shut and take a stool sample to the vet on monday.
I should be fine??

By april (Guest Post)

our baby kitten is 6 weeks old and she keeps throwing up stomach fluids but nothing else is in her vomit and theres nothing wrong with her stool..what do we do please write back asap

I just pulled out a white worm from my cat's anus. I don't have money to take him to the vet. What should I do for him? How do I treat it?

Can I use diatomaceous earth in my cat's wet food for fleas, she has tape worms.

By Dawn

We have several barn cats who are friendly, but I noticed recently that they had worms coming out of their back side. Our dogs are up to date with shots and flea stuff. Can those worms affect humans/dogs? The cats are just barn cats that have shown up and decided we're suckers. We don't have that kinda money to treat them, too.

By Darcie from WI

My cat goes outdoors daily, and usually returns with a crusty white thing attached to the fur in the thigh region. He is a bit thinner than any neutered cat I've seen before, thought maybe because he's so active. Today I pulled a live tapeworm off of him. It was moist and squirming, but again, not near the anus. He has no fleas or other visible parasites. He eats mice and only God knows what else outside. Could he just have come into contact with a live parasite and would it just be a wasted vet trip? Or should he get checked out? I'm just at a loss because they aren't in his stool, nor are they around the anus, just caught in the fur on his backside.

I need to give my cat a dewormer. It says in the directions to put the dewormer on moist cat food. The problem is my cat will not eat moist cat food, he will only eat Meow mix dry cat food. He also will not eat human food, no milk, cheese, meats, nothing. So I'm at my wits end. Someone please help me to get my weird cat worm free without another vet bill.

By tlqcb6548

Load More