Remedies for Worms in Cats

Category Health
Cat owners sometimes look for remedies for worms other than a trip to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in cats.

If you decide to get a new kitten, either now or in the near future, please make sure you have the new baby dewormed.

I have just added another new one to the menagerie and was going a little crazy as she was determined that she had to be fed every time someone went near the refrigerator. When I phoned the vet, they suggested she be dewormed. The medicine is not expensive, it cost me $7.07 (cdn) and there is enough there to deworm 10 kittens! (an added bonus is that a free syringe is supplied and whatever is in this stuff the kitten seemed to think it tasted wonderful!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

This is a worming medicine that is designed for dogs. It kills all intestinal worms except for tapeworms. The taste is acceptable to all 11 of my cats and they put up little resistance to taking it. There are other pills and liquids available, but if they don't take it it will do them no good ;). Dose according to weight of animal.

Does anyone know a home remedy for worms in cats/dogs?

Answers

Best Answer

There are different worms a pet can have and only your vet is able to diagnose the type of worm or worms your pet has. The correct treatment will vary depending upon the exact type of worm or worms.

Please take your pet to your vet to identify the worm and provide the correct treatment. Delaying treatment will only make the problem worse and increase the cost.

Best Answer

I use this product for my cats and my kittens. It works on worms, parasites and fleas. It's called Diatomaceous Earth (D.E.). There are two types of D.E., pool grade and food grade. Food grade is the one you want. You can also used it on yourself. It kills any parasites that you may have. It is a natural product. You can use it on kittens to get rid of fleas. I put a 1/2 tsp. in their cat food and in the kitten's bottles. I sprinkled the D.E. on all my carpets, left it on for three hours. Then I vacuumed it up and got rid of the contents right away. I took a pair of panty hose and cut the leg off and filled it with D.E. Tie a knot and use it to powder your cats and kittens. Please put a paper towel over their face so they do not breathe it in. That goes for you too, it is not good to breathe it in. You can also use this product for roaches, ants, and any other bugs that have a hard shell. You can use it in your garden. It will not kill earthworms because they do not have a hard shell. I found it on Amazon. Make sure that the D.E. that you get is <b>Food Grade</b>. Good luck!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Chop some carrots up just small to swallow the don't digest it it scrapes the worms and they through it up or use Punkin seeds

My daughter has an 18 year old cat (Princess) that has been troubled with tape worms. She bought some of the diatomaceous earth and has been mixing this in her food for about 2 weeks. She says there are live worms in Princess's stool and I wondered if anyone can tell us how long it may take to rid her of these worms.

By cyber from Ocala, FL

Answers

Anonymous

No offense but home remedies do not always work for tape worms and Princess should be getting medication from a vet and especially because of her age and then the worms will be gone in a day or two that way! Princess isn't getting enough nutrition because the worms are eating it. :-(

I just found round worms on my kitten's butt. How do I get rid of them? I don't have the money to take her to the vet. It has to be able to be given to a 13 week old kitten.

By Liz B.

How do I treat feline worms, round worms and string looking worms? I need a home remedy or good cheap med to fix this problem. It also has to be something that tastes good to the cat.

By Audrey

Answers

Best Answer

There are many different worms your cat can have. Some you can see, some you can't. If you buy the wormer at the pet store it gets certain types of worms. It is less effective than what you get from the Vet. It can have side effects for the cat. The stringy worms you are talking about are round worms. I really recommend you take your cat to the Vet and get the job done right.

I bought an over the counter med for deworming my cats. I gave it to them four days ago and now they seem really sick and I haven't seen any results in their stool. How long does it take and can they live long happy lives with worms?

By Mon

Answers

Best Answer

Some over the counter wormers are rough on cats. Be especially careful with kittens. Find a Vet for a wormer that works and doesn't make your cat sick. Cats can tolerate some worms, but it depends on what kind they are and how old the cat is and how many they are. Check you local shelter for low cost Vet care. I am sure they will help you.

What is the medication that I can buy for cats that have tapeworms, if I can not afford a vet?

By Jackie

Would a tape worm make a cat get fatter?

By Pauly from MI

Answers

Best Answer

Your cat can have any of a number of worm parasites, including tapeworm, and worms can make a cat's abdominal area larger or "pot bellied". Please take your cat to your vet to identify the problem and provide treatment. Note that there are "worm treatments" you can buy at pet stores, however, if you do not know the specific type of worm, you cannot provide the correct treatment. Please do not wait to take your cat to your vet to help him or her feel much better.

My cat has tape worms. What home remedy can I use?

By Aaliyah

I have a female feral cat that has tapeworms. I was told that I can't give anything since she is feeding 6 kitties, 4 weeks old. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the worms? Can the cat transmit the worms to the kitties?

By Marcela from Queen NY

Answers

Yuck! Worms! Lol. Unfortunately, even YOU and the people that pet this cat can pick up the worms unknowingly. Please consult a vet, as wormer is a poison and can seriously harm and even kill a cat that has a large population of worms. And yes, the babies probably already have worms.

Anonymous

Call a vet ASAP! Not only are you risking mama's life but also the kittens if you don't take care of this right away! Tapeworms eat all the nutrients both mama and babies need to survive!

Ingesting both fleas and the intestines of mice or rats infected with tapeworms is what causes them so it would be prudent to check your pets periodically for them in the future.

Two words. Diatomaceous Earth (food-grade)

OK, four words.

This stuff will absolutely kill every (bad) worm in
your mama kitty and will "not" harm the little ones
either.

Food-grade diatomaceous earth is one thing that
every SPCA, cat or dog rescue should be telling
everyone about. Just make sure it is "food grade"
and not the stuff used in swimming pools.

Sprinkle it all over the mother kitty, and rub it
in very well. (The little kitties will even get some
of this as they nurse). Sprinkle the DE over mother
kitty's food (about a half-teaspoonful every day).

Take care that you don't allow the dust to be
inhaled too much. Be sure to rub and brush it
into mother kitty's fur really well.

This DE will also take care of any fleas.

It is available online if you have trouble finding
it in your local pet stores. It should be way more
available than it is IMHO. It isn't all that expensive
either which probably explains the unavailability.

The best of luck to you with this problem.
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I have a male cat Max. He likes to go out and catch rodents. I do not let him out willingly. He has a brother and sister that live in the same house, and he is constantly crying at me for food. I don't know if he may have worms, but he has visited the vet before for this. I have researched that, and maybe he just wants attention. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you.

By Michelle

I have a 4 yr old Maine Coon Tabby mix, Jayden. I think he may have tapeworms, but I am not sure though. He's losing hair and has kinda bloody patches where he is itching like crazy. I have tried Lamisil and over the counter tape worm meds and nothing seems to work. It started to go away a little and he was starting to grow hair back, but that didn't last long. He's eating good, but not gaining too much weight. My dog Chyna is not having any type of problems. I am at my wits end and don't have the money for a vet. I give him baths every other day or try to with Dawn dish soap.

By Leslie

I treated my cats and kittens for fleas and worms. One of the kittens has worms again and now they all have fleas again. I have put Advantage on them for 2 months now. Please someone help!

By Melody from Wilson, NY

Answers

The only thing that has worked at our house for fleas are the Comfortis tablets from the vets, which are $6-14 each per month. As for the worms, they may be immune to the type of dewormer you use, or they aren't they type of worms you think they are. Be to try to get a sample of the worm, and look online to see if you can find what it is, and that should help you find which wormer to use, and how often.
Otherwise, you may just have to bring the cat to the vets.
Best of luck to you.

We rescued a stray kitten in our yard last year, and he had fleas and worms. Initially he was too small to treat with medications, so I had to wash him with dish washing liquid (the vet's recommendation) and use a flea comb on him. When put on a little weight, I started treating him (and my other two cats who caught his fleas and then the tapeworms!) with two topicals. One was Advantage Multi, that's for the fleas and worms (except tapeworms) and earmites. The other was a topical just for the tapeworms. We tried this combination for several months, along with treating my home for fleas. After a while, the two grown cats were fine, but I'd keep finding one or two fleas on the kitten (and then the little tapeworms coming out of his bum) even 4-5 days after the most recent treatment. So I took him back to the vet with evidence of the worms that I collected, and a list of the dates I had treated him. So they gave him two oral meds, one for the fleas, and one for the tapeworms. That's all it took! They said I might need to do one more treatment of each, but I never saw any more fleas or worms.

And just a note, I was chit-chatting with my daughter's pediatrician about our flea/worm problem, and she told me about Comfortis. She used it for her dogs, and it sounded wonderful, one pill for the whole month. So I made sure to ask about it at the vet's office. They don't make it for cats. So the pill they gave to my cat (Capstar) kills the fleas that are on the cat at that time, but the pill can be taken daily. If I remember correctly, the tapeworm treatment could be given in another 10 or 14 days (I don't remember which).

The only problem with cats is that they're hard to give pills to (at least mine are, I've got the scars to prove it!). But that's what we ended up doing to take care of the situation. It's important you also treat their living space, or they'll just keep getting the fleas. Best of luck. I hope you find something that works for you!

Just ask a vet to do a fecal on a sample you bring in and then he will tell you what kind of worm it is, probably tapeworms from fleas. The meds you by at the store don't work, you have to get the pills from the vets. I would also visit earthclinic.com and look up natural remedies for worms. I have been researching coconut oil for humans. I haven't got as far as using it on pets.

Blessings,

Robyn

We use nothing except food grade diatomaceous earth (must be food grade) and sprinkle a little
on their food every day. 1/2 tsp maybe.

Have been doing it for years. Even use it on all the outdoor pets and animals. Works better than anything else and will never make the animal sick.

You can bathe cats and dogs in the original blue Dawn dish washing liquid which will kill the fleas on contact and that'll bring instant relief. The DE will kill all the worms and any internal parasite. You can also sprinkle and rub in the DE on the animal's fur being careful not to breathe it in.

We had a lady vet who was more interested in the animals than she was making money and she steered us in the right direction about 5 years ago.

You will never need any of that Advantage stuff which really isn't all that good for any animal anyway according to her.

Hope this helps a lot of people out there who are having the same problem with their pets and animals. You'd think every pet store would be selling it, but I guess it just doesn't cost enough and they don't make as much money. What else can we think when DE works so great?

ww

Are there any home remedies for the worms that look like "rice"? My cat had babies and now she has these thingies.

By Lori from Chilliwack, BC

Answers

Sounds like tapeworms. They go hand-in-hand with fleas. A flea is ingested by the cat, and the worms come from the fleas (I might not be explaining 100% accurately, but this is the best way I know to explain it). You need to treat for fleas AND tapeworms. We just went through this last year with a stray kitten we rescued. We were told by the vet that 14 days after the flea is ingested we'll see evidence of the worms.

There are some topical flea treatments that also treat for SOME worms and mites . . . but they do NOT treat for tapeworms. We tried the topical flea treatments and a topical tapeworm treatment. It was expensive, and didn't work for this cat. After fighting with it for several months (and treating the house, but neither of our other cats had problems), I took him back to the vet and explained what we had been going through. They gave him an oral tapeworm treatment, and an oral flea treatment. The flea treatment can be given every day, but it just took one treatment, and we've been flea/worm free for months!

I recommend you take them to the vet. The kittens probably have worms, too. Their bellies will be fat with worms, and that's really bad for them. Best of luck!

Hello, No...there is not a home remedy. Your fur baby has Tapeworms. They must be treated by your Veterinarian. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please go ASAP as your baby can get really sick. Good Luck.

Anonymous

It's best to get meds from a vet because it depends on the weight of the cat how much of a dosage they should have. Also, since mommy is nursing, that needs to be mentioned too.

Worms are not good for any being and if your baby has tapeworms that is really dangerous because the tapeworms eat all the nutrients from the foods the animal eats. Please take a fresh stool sample (you don't need to take the cat which would cost more for a vet check) to be analysed. If your cat does indeed have worms, vet offices that are not greedy will weigh your cat for free so you can get a prescription.

Our family consists of my husband and myself, and
our 4 grown married children. Everyone of my
children grew up with pets of all kinds and descriptions. Everything except the fish got
food-grade diatomaceous earth in their food all
the time. We NEVER had a problem with worms
with any animal. Just be sure it's food grade
and don't be afraid to use it.

Our grown children all have pets, dogs, cats, a horse, birds, and lots of fresh and salt water fish.
I don't suppose any one of them would be caught
without diatomaceous earth.

Now, my hubby and I have only one kitty. We just sprinkle it over his dry food, and if he even knows it's there, I'm surprised.

If you do have a really fussy pet, you could
just dust it into their fur or feathers...being
careful not to have them breathe it in.

I hope this helps. Since you have nursing kittens,
rub it into the mama kitty's tummy really well so
that it's no longer dusty. The babies will ingest diatomaceous earth from their mother's nipples, and just getting that much of the remedy might
be all you need for them as little as they are.

Wishing you the best of luck with them.
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

No you need meds. Jeannie

I found my kitten vomiting, and there were tapeworms in it. He is just 3 months old. What medicine should give him? I would be very grateful if you have a suggestion.

By R. Zaman

Would D Wormer liquid wormer work on cats that have tapeworms? Can anther cat get sick from one who has the worms?

By Elaine from Providence, RI

I am 12 weeks pregnant and just found my cat (I have 3 "indoor" cats) throwing up a pile of "life" roundworms. I also have a 6 year old child. What do I need to do? I will take that cat to the vet and get him and the other 2 treated. I have isolated all the cats in different rooms. Now do I have to "wash" all my carpets and upholstery? I have a large house! Do I have to take my child to the doctor? Can they even test if she is infected? How long should I isolate the cats?

Thank you for any answers!

Answers

CALL YOUR CHILDS PEDIATRICIAN!! Plus mention this on your next check up.

Your vet should be able to answer these questions. Also, call the pediatrician right away--and keep calling until you get him/her on the line.

Please take your cats, yes all your cats to the vet asap. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years and I know that your Vet will want to see your animals. Please take a sample of the worm with you to the vet so they can see which ones they are. Cats will throw up Tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by injesting flea eggs. If they are round worms, they usually come from the dirt. Also, please call your child's Dr. if your child has been around the cats or playing. Your Vet can give them medication to get rid of the worms. SINCE YOU ARE PREGNANT DO NOT CHANGE THE LITTER PAN, THERE IS A CHANCE YOU COULD GET TOXOPLASMOSIS. PLEASE ASK YOUR DR. ABOUT THIS. STAY AWAY FROM CAT FECES...
I hope all goes well for you......

Thank you. I have taken my daughter to the doc and also called the vet who did not want to see my cat (!) but let me pick up medication. I gave it to all 3 cats and had them seperated for 3 days. The "wormy" cat I still have in a seperate room.
I have not touched the litterboxes since I got pregnant, but they all sleep in our beds. Now I have the doors to our bedrooms shut and take a stool sample to the vet on monday.
I should be fine??

our baby kitten is 6 weeks old and she keeps throwing up stomach fluids but nothing else is in her vomit and theres nothing wrong with her stool..what do we do please write back asap

I just pulled out a white worm from my cat's anus. I don't have money to take him to the vet. What should I do for him? How do I treat it?

Can I use diatomaceous earth in my cat's wet food for fleas, she has tape worms.

By Dawn

We have several barn cats who are friendly, but I noticed recently that they had worms coming out of their back side. Our dogs are up to date with shots and flea stuff. Can those worms affect humans/dogs? The cats are just barn cats that have shown up and decided we're suckers. We don't have that kinda money to treat them, too.

By Darcie from WI

Answers

Yes! Worm meds are fairly cheap; you just put it in their food.

They might be tapeworms. They need a different med than other types of worms (we went through this last year with a stray kitten we adopted). Other animals (including dogs and people) get tapeworms by ingesting a flea (could swallow it while grooming, or even breathe it in). We tried topical treatments for the tapeworms and fleas, but they didn't work well for us, so he got one dose of an oral med (plus getting rid of his fleas), and we haven't had a problem since.

I've read that food-grade diatomaceous earth can be taken internally for the worms, but I haven't tried it, and I don't know anything about how much/often.

Hello,
If they are tapeworms they need to be treated by a Veterinarian. There is NOT an over the counter medication to treat them. Please take a fecal sample to your Veterinarian and have them treat your fur baby...I have worked for a Vet for over 27 yrs.

Easy, inexpensive, dogs, cats, even us humans. Safe, natural, for all intestinal worms (won't work on heart worms) Food grade (garden grade had poisons that can kill) diatomaceous earth sprinkled on their food. 75% of humans have worms. Not any animals fault. I ordered by the gallon of powder. It was enough for years of everything I could get my hands on. I paid about $9. Can be used safely in your garden for bugs. Use for pets, livestock and yourself. Many benefits other than worm removal. WWW.earthworkshealth.com. No, I don't sell it or am i any part of earth works. Took a while and found this as pure and safe with good directions and reasonable.

My cat goes outdoors daily, and usually returns with a crusty white thing attached to the fur in the thigh region. He is a bit thinner than any neutered cat I've seen before, thought maybe because he's so active. Today I pulled a live tapeworm off of him. It was moist and squirming, but again, not near the anus. He has no fleas or other visible parasites. He eats mice and only God knows what else outside. Could he just have come into contact with a live parasite and would it just be a wasted vet trip? Or should he get checked out? I'm just at a loss because they aren't in his stool, nor are they around the anus, just caught in the fur on his backside.

I need to give my cat a dewormer. It says in the directions to put the dewormer on moist cat food. The problem is my cat will not eat moist cat food, he will only eat Meow mix dry cat food. He also will not eat human food, no milk, cheese, meats, nothing. So I'm at my wits end. Someone please help me to get my weird cat worm free without another vet bill.

By tlqcb6548

I would like information on how to treat worms in 1 month old kitten?

By rubylark from Hamilton, NJ

Answers

We have a 6 week old kitten we rescued at 2 weeks of age. We took him to our vet @ 4 weeks. He gave us wormer for him...cost about $5.00. The vet said he is too young to do anything else and didn't charge us for the visit. If you have a vet you are on good terms with, maybe the same would work for you. Good Luck!

I use a product called nemex 2 it is one of the safest things I have found Debbie

What a precious wee baby.

It was a roundworm, or a chunk of roundworm, still wriggling. I know they are or can be contagious, but is there any way we can treat at home? There's just no chance in heck we could afford treatment for all 6 through a vet. Just a standard check up with 2 shots cost us 150$ for one cat. We adopted a stray and took her in. She surprised us with 5 kittens almost exactly 2 months after we brought her in. Would food grade diatomaceous earth and cider vinegar help this?

What is truly the best effective treatment for cats with little mealy worms that is not too expensive and works really fast? I am unable to afford vet at this time and am on a set income. Thank you.

I need to know about tapeworms in cats. How do I treat them?

By Frankie

My husband and I just bought some diatomaceous earth (food grade). We have multiple cats that eat from the same dish. We are kind of iffy about how much to put in their food since they all eat from the same dish to make sure they all get the amount they need. The main reason we bought this was to handle a flea issue we are having. We don't want to over dose them. How much should we put in their food?

By A. Callins

Recently I had two kittens adopt me. They were only 6 weeks at the time we started to feed the two of them. One of them has become very friendly with me and lets me pet him and comes when you call his name, but the other one still won't let me near it.

I noticed the one that won't let us touch it started to get fatter and fatter so we thought she was pregnant. Everyone started to put in their names for kittens. But weeks turned to months and months turned to more months and no kittens. I recently caught her dragging her butt across the carpet at the front door. I have also seen the area around her butt has at times been really really red. And still she continues to get bigger and bigger.

Someone suggested she may have worms. But she is an outdoor cat that I can't get close to so I can't check her poops either. Should I get a deworming thing from the pet store and give it a try. Cause I'd really hate for her to get sick. The other one would be so heart broken. But if she is sick I may have to trap her somehow and find the money to take her to the vet's. Please help, I'm beginning to worry.

By Lisa F.

Will roundworm liquid dewormer treat tapeworm in cats?

By Jennifer T.

I just got a new kitten. We saved it from outside a couple days ago and I found out it has worms and right now we can't afford to take it to the vet or buy anything. So does anyone know any home remedies? The kitten is 10 weeks old at least. I could really use some help.

By Sarah G.

How do you get your cat to eat the food with the turnip in it? I tried and he just turns his nose up at me.

By Jennifer

I have rescued a stray cat that is very lovable. The only problem is that the cat has tapeworms. I think this, only because I have seen them and they look like tapeworms. I do have a vet appointment set up, but it's for next week. The cat is outdoors, but will come in. What should I do with the cat until the appointment? Do I bring it in until then?

How do I keep cats free of worms?

By Joan