Remedies for Worms in Cats

If you decide to get a new kitten, either now or in the near future, please make sure you have the new baby dewormed.

I have just added another new one to the menagerie and was going a little crazy as she was determined that she had to be fed every time someone went near the refrigerator. When I phoned the vet, they suggested she be dewormed. The medicine is not expensive, it cost me $7.07 (cdn) and there is enough there to deworm 10 kittens! (an added bonus is that a free syringe is supplied and whatever is in this stuff the kitten seemed to think it tasted wonderful!)

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

More Solutions

This is a worming medicine that is designed for dogs. It kills all intestinal worms except for tapeworms. The taste is acceptable to all 11 of my cats and they put up little resistance to taking it. Dose according to weight of animal.

Product Review: Nemex 2 for Worming Cats and Kittens

36 Questions

My daughter has an 18 year old cat (Princess) that has been troubled with tape worms. She bought some of the diatomaceous earth and has been mixing this in her food for about 2 weeks. She says there are live worms in Princess's stool and I wondered if anyone can tell us how long it may take to rid her of these worms.

By cybergrannie from Ocala, FL

Answers

Best Answer

No offense but home remedies do not always work for tape worms and Princess should be getting medication from a vet and especially because of her age and then the worms will be gone in a day or two that way! Princess isn't getting enough nutrition because the worms are eating it. :-(

Best Answer

Hello and thanks for the advice.
Perhaps a little background info would be helpful. Princess is one of 3 sisters born to a "stray" in May of 1992. My family loves animals and cannot stand to see anyone go hungry. We feed strays and try to find homes but if not possible, we drive 40 miles to another county that has a "no kill" shelter (and they are who gets our generous donations).

The 3 sisters have been in our family since 1992 and are very well loved and cared for. We lost one sister (Pumpkin) to cancer at the age of 16 and we still miss her today.

One sister (Bootowful) belongs to my son and is in excellent health. She has not seen a vet since she was 2 years old and is still going strong. My son sees that she has everything she needs and much, much more. He is 56 yrs old and still single and she is his favorite companion. It was love at first sight and has lasted through the years with no regrets I am sure. We do use "home" remedies but indoor kiddies do not generally have many problems if cared for properly.

Pumpkin was the homely one but loved me and was my constant companion. She was an "attack" cat where I was concerned. Very protective. It was a very sad 6 months (and 800+ dollars) that we had to watch as she deteriorated with no cure in site. She was in no pain and I hand fed her with an eye dropper for the last 2 months. She was still chipper and still loving when she could no longer swallow her food. Letting her go was one of the hardest things I have had to do in 75 years on this earth. I still miss her today.

Princess is in excellent health and sees a vet on a regular basis. Usually for no reason except it has been a while and my daughter wants to be sure there is nothing wrong that she cannot see. Her vet gave her medication for worm treatment and Princess had a very bad reaction and was very sick. The vet is the one who told us to start using the diatomaceous earth. My daughter has called the vet since I asked this question and she says it will take a couple more weeks to be sure. If there is no sign of improvement then we will take another route.

We have several other pets and love them all. Other pets have come and gone over the years, all loved and appreciated.

I really appreciate all the responders on this site as I have found many "home" remedies that have helped me solve lots of problems. Not everyone can agree and that is a good thing because it keeps us on our toes and searching for better answers.

Best Answer

I gave my cats diatomaceous earth twice to help with worms and about a week later one of my cats was severely dehydrated and ended up passing away. Apparently she was diabetic and I did not know so the DE could have just exasperated the health situation but I think it's funny that a week after feeding th this stuff she was severely dehydrated and that is how DE kills parasites. You see a lot of pages saying how safe it is but I have found a few that say otherwise. On one a vet told a woman that this stuff is toxic to cats, on another it says that you should not continuously give it to your cats and on others in regards to human consumption it says that it can be very dehydrating. If you do decide to chance it and feed it to your cats please be very careful and keep a close eye on them so you don't end up in a situation like me. I have had the most awful week and it was heart breaking to not only lose my cat but to know may have been the one to cause her the problem and I don't want it to happen to anybody else or their pet. God Bless.

Best Answer

Diatomite did NOT kill anyone's cat. The worms did. Worms themselves often cause diarrhoea. Which dehydrates cats. Especially kittens. I've got 60 cats, all raised from birth right on my property. Outdoors. Diatomaceous Earth is not provably for deworming via ingestion, though some swear by it. I keep it around because, by keeping it mixed in my cats' fur, it keeps fleas somewhat under control, which stops worms from becoming so abundant that my cats have no way to fight for their health (long enough to become big from lots of solid food). Tapeworms kill. And fleas facilitate worms. Tapeworms can stay afloat only if fleas go unchecked. Else, they will lose the battle for your cats' lives. Get rid of tapeworms with praziquantel (contained in Droncit & Drontal). For roundworms, use pyrantel palmoate. Both are available over the counter. Drontal is pricey. It's worth it if you're rich.
(Pictured: Darrell is 1 year old. DE keeps him healthy. 3 of his sibs died from worms before I first used it. He gets his fur powdered. I don't feed it to him, really. Used to. But no evidence it deworms, despite the hype. The significance is, it fights fleas.
No fleas? No worms. Eventually.)

Best Answer

From my research, tapeworms take the longest amount of time to be treated with diotamacious earth. Atleast 30 days is recommended.

Best Answer

Do NOT give your pets garlic please!! As someone looking out for the well being of all animals, I'm not sure why your vet would've given "the stamp of approval" when any vet should know garlic and anything in the onion family is toxic to cats and dogs. It's actually considered to be about 5X as potent as an onion. Since garlic is significantly more concentrated than an onion, an even smaller ingested amount will likely lead to toxicosis as little as one clove of garlic can lead to toxicity in dogs and cats. If you didn't know this and you care about your pet's health, please find another remedy that's safer for them.

Answer this Question

Does anyone know a home remedy for worms in cats/dogs?

Answers

Best Answer

There are different worms a pet can have and only your vet is able to diagnose the type of worm or worms your pet has. The correct treatment will vary depending upon the exact type of worm or worms.

Please take your pet to your vet to identify the worm and provide the correct treatment. Delaying treatment will only make the problem worse and increase the cost.

Best Answer

I use this product for my cats and my kittens. It works on worms, parasites and fleas. It's called Diatomaceous Earth (D.E.). There are two types of D.E., pool grade and food grade. Food grade is the one you want. You can also used it on yourself. It kills any parasites that you may have. It is a natural product. You can use it on kittens to get rid of fleas. I put a 1/2 tsp. in their cat food and in the kitten's bottles. I sprinkled the D.E. on all my carpets, left it on for three hours. Then I vacuumed it up and got rid of the contents right away. I took a pair of panty hose and cut the leg off and filled it with D.E. Tie a knot and use it to powder your cats and kittens. Please put a paper towel over their face so they do not breathe it in. That goes for you too, it is not good to breathe it in. You can also use this product for roaches, ants, and any other bugs that have a hard shell. You can use it in your garden. It will not kill earthworms because they do not have a hard shell. I found it on Amazon. Make sure that the D.E. that you get is Food Grade. Good luck!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Chop some carrots up just small to swallow the don't digest it it scrapes the worms and they through it up or use Punkin seeds

Answer this Question

How can I treat worms in a one year old cat? I don't have the money to go to the vet.

Answers

Best Answer

Cats can have several different kinds of worms.
Petco or PetSmart may be able to help you as they usually have a vet technician that you can talk to.
They will probably want a description of the worms as well as the age and approximate weight of your cat.

Some county Humane Societies have a vet that will deworm animals for less money than your regular vet. Try calling them to see if they can help.

Best Answer

it is really probably best to use the medicine that can be bought OTC at a pet shop. It probably wouldn't cost much more than buying supplies for natural/DIY products that might not work

even so, there are people who say natural things can be done:
www.cuteness.com/.../deworm-cat-naturally
www.felineliving.net/.../

some of the advice given is:
- pumpkin seeds
- parsley water
- diatomaeous earth
- wormwood water

Answer this Question

I just found round worms on my kitten's butt. How do I get rid of them? I don't have the money to take her to the vet. It has to be able to be given to a 13 week old kitten.

By Liz B.

How do I treat feline worms, round worms and string looking worms? I need a home remedy or good cheap med to fix this problem. It also has to be something that tastes good to the cat.

By Audrey

Answers

Best Answer

There are many different worms your cat can have. Some you can see, some you can't. If you buy the wormer at the pet store it gets certain types of worms. It is less effective than what you get from the Vet. It can have side effects for the cat. The stringy worms you are talking about are round worms. I really recommend you take your cat to the Vet and get the job done right.

Answer this Question

I bought an over the counter med for deworming my cats. I gave it to them four days ago and now they seem really sick and I haven't seen any results in their stool. How long does it take and can they live long happy lives with worms?

By Mon

Answers

Best Answer

Some over the counter wormers are rough on cats. Be especially careful with kittens. Find a Vet for a wormer that works and doesn't make your cat sick. Cats can tolerate some worms, but it depends on what kind they are and how old the cat is and how many they are. Check you local shelter for low cost Vet care. I am sure they will help you.

Answer this Question

What is the medication that I can buy for cats that have tapeworms, if I can not afford a vet?

By Jackie

I have a female feral cat that has tapeworms. I was told that I can't give anything since she is feeding 6 kitties, 4 weeks old. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the worms? Can the cat transmit the worms to the kitties?

By Marcela from Queen NY

Answers

Yuck! Worms! Lol. Unfortunately, even YOU and the people that pet this cat can pick up the worms unknowingly. Please consult a vet, as wormer is a poison and can seriously harm and even kill a cat that has a large population of worms. And yes, the babies probably already have worms.

Would a tape worm make a cat get fatter?

By Pauly from MI

Answers

Best Answer

Your cat can have any of a number of worm parasites, including tapeworm, and worms can make a cat's abdominal area larger or "pot bellied". Please take your cat to your vet to identify the problem and provide treatment. Note that there are "worm treatments" you can buy at pet stores, however, if you do not know the specific type of worm, you cannot provide the correct treatment. Please do not wait to take your cat to your vet to help him or her feel much better.

Answer this Question

My cat has tape worms. What home remedy can I use?

By Aaliyah

I have a 4 yr old Maine Coon Tabby mix, Jayden. I think he may have tapeworms, but I am not sure though. He's losing hair and has kinda bloody patches where he is itching like crazy. I have tried Lamisil and over the counter tape worm meds and nothing seems to work. It started to go away a little and he was starting to grow hair back, but that didn't last long.

He's eating good, but not gaining too much weight. My dog Chyna is not having any type of problems. I am at my wits end and don't have the money for a vet. I give him baths every other day or try to with Dawn dish soap.

By Leslie

I have a male cat Max. He likes to go out and catch rodents. I do not let him out willingly. He has a brother and sister that live in the same house, and he is constantly crying at me for food. I don't know if he may have worms, but he has visited the vet before for this. I have researched that, and maybe he just wants attention. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you.

By Michelle

I treated my cats and kittens for fleas and worms. One of the kittens has worms again and now they all have fleas again. I have put Advantage on them for 2 months now. Please someone help!

By melody from Wilson, NY

Load More
Pets HealthFebruary 27, 2013
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf44551023.tip.html