Remedies for Worms in Dogs

Some pet owners prefer to treat worms with products and remedies other than medications from a vet. This is a guide about remedies for worms in dogs.

I looked and looked for alternative to treat my rescues for tapeworms and somewhere I came across a recommendation to use Safeguard for horses, then it took forever to get through that advice. I took the advice to use a dime to nickel size dosage of the paste for the size of my dogs (16 to 22 lbs), three days in a row. It worked way better than the expensive pills at the vet. My one little dog is 16 and has seizures, which stopped after I quit with the shots and flea meds and he was fine on it. It was like a miracle for us.

At Bahamatude, we are especially looking for alternatives to help pets in the out islands of the Bahamas where there is a choice, help yourself and the animals or go without a vet.

This is a guide about dog acting sick after being wormed. Treating a dog for worms is best done in consultation with your vet. That way the proper meds for the specific worms and the accurate dosage can be dispensed.

If your pet becomes ill after treatment a return trip is a good idea.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Food grade diatomaceous earth can be an effective home remedy for dog worms. This is a guide about home remedies for dog worms.

Does anyone know of an organic (home remedy) for worms in dogs? I have tried several over the counter treatments and my Yorkie still has worms. I am disabled and can not afford to take him to the vet, and my vet will not let me make payments. It really hurts me to see my dog so uncomfortable. Please help!

By Janice I.

Answers

Best Answer

A breeder once told me he used cloves of garlic to rid his dogs of worms. Remove the skins and crush into food or feed whole pieces if your dog will eat them. Also try calling some different vets in your area. You will most likely find one who will accept a payment plan. You will most likely need a vet at some point, so it's worth the effort. Good luck!

Best Answer

I have used a product called diatomaceous earth for quite a while now. I bought it on the internet. It has to be food grade to use on animals. There is another grade which is used for swimming pools, etc.

You sprinkle a little on the dog's food every day for a month. After that you only use it once a month, I think. It kills the worms with no effect on the dog. I swear by it.

Best Answer

Irrespective of the Dogs size ask your Veterinarian for Drontal Allwormer. You can give this to the animal yourself. There are several different kinds of worms. To be honest, for the amount of money you have spent buying "over the counter" products that have apparently proven useless, you could have bought the correct tablet and dosage for your Dog's size and weight. The situation will only get worse without correct treatment.

My dog is excreting worms. They are white and sometimes pink. I don't know what to do. Are there any pills I can buy for him without going to the vet?

By yinette

Answers

Best Answer

Please do not self-treat a dog or cat. Take the stool sample to your Vet, if the pet has worms, they will give you treatment depending on what type of worms they find and the weight of your pet.

Jennifer
Northern Virginia

Best Answer

Food grade diatomaceous earth for intestinal worms. Natural, easy, safe.

Best Answer

Yes, there are many different kinds of worm pills you can buy without going to a vet. Go to your local pet store, and ask them what they recommend for the type of worm that you describe.

My Yorkie has tapeworms and the vet is charging too much. What are some remedies to kill tape worms?

By Martin from Houston, TX

Answers

By Robin (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I just lost the love of my life, my collie, Bailey. I can tell you that I would never try any home remedies to cure a problem. I know it is expensive, but you need to go with what your vet recommends.

Maybe there is another vet in your area that could treat it a little cheaper? I would NEVER recommend trying anything else but what the professionals say to do.

Best Answer

Go to a different vet! My vet charged $25 for one dog and $33 for the other - don't really know why, but they got different medications. That's a lot cheaper, tho, than what your vet quoted. By the way, they sold me the pills to give the dogs myself - I didn't have to pay them to dose the dogs.

By Casey. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Go to a local Feed & Seed store or even some small private owned pharmacy, and ask for the medicine to treat tapeworms in dogs. The pharmacy we have sold me the meds for less than $3. You will have to know how much your dog weighs. That will determine which and how much meds it will need.

Best Answer

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and there is not a home remedy for tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by fleas. Please apply advantage or frontline to your fur baby. Please take your baby to the Veterinarian for the proper medication to treat her. Good luck

Anonymous
Best Answer

If you value your dog's life, then she needs a doctor just like you do sometimes. In the summertime use something (Diatomacious earth or Frontline) to keep the fleas off of her so she doesn't get tapeworms in the first place. I hope you are aware that Tapeworms can and will kill a dog if not treated.

My mom was given a puppy from our neighbor because it was either find someone or send it to the pound and my mom wouldn't let that happen. Recently, I've noticed, both in her feces and as she laying down, coming out of her rear end, some white larva looking worms (almost positive they're roundworms). I read on a separate site that you could try a home remedy and give her cloves to get rid of them, but it wasn't exactly specific on how much or how to feed them to her (whether to crush them up or whole), so what should I do?

By Kristina M.

Answers

Best Answer

Take this sweet puppy to your Veterinarian.

How do I manage my dog's worms without dog wormer?

By Andrea W from Stover, MO

Answers

Best Answer

Food grade Diatomaceous Earth. Get it at your local feed store. Do an web search on DE for all the benefits.

Best Answer

Hello...
First of all, which worms do you want to treat? Tapeworms, Roundworms? There is a different medication for each. Please take your dog to his/her Veterinarian to find out which worms to treat. Bring a fresh stool sample with you, so your Veterinarian can evaluate which worms to treat.

Please be advised there is not an over the counter medication to treat any type of worms in a cat/dog. Please take him, so he can feel better, dogs can get very ill from having worms for any long period of time. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 25 years.

Good luck...

My dogs have these long skinny white worms in their poo. I was told that nicotine from cigarettes gets rid of worms. He said mix it in the can of food and the dogs will eat it and that it won't hurt them at all. Is that true?

Hi, my puppy is 3-4 months old. My husband and I noticed 2 white flat worms on her butt. From what I read they're called tapeworms. So my question is how can you get rid of the parasites a natural way, without going to the vet? I love her dearly but low on money. I know the best way is the vet. Does someone know of another solution. Please help and thanks for all answers.

By Lacey GC

My baby Chihuahuas have worms; they look like sesame seeds. How do I get rid of them?

By Stephanie

Answers

Best Answer

Hello,
Please take your baby to his/her Veterinarian. It is probably time to start vaccinations anyway. Please take a stool sample with you so your Veterinarian can determine which worms they are and which medication to dispense to you.

We inherited a six year old Lab. She has worms in her stool. What would be the best meds to give her?

By Gayla

Answers

Best Answer

Nemex is great to buy. Also the other thing is that tapeworms need the other kind of wormer. The safeguard wormer for dogs should get rid of tapeworms.

You can buy the safeguard dewormer for dogs at the feed supply store along with nemex as well. The safeguard has to be given three days in a row to get rid of hookworms. Safeguard is for the tapeworms that a dog will always have from fleas, and the nemex is for the other kind of worms.

I have 4, 6 week old puppies that I have already dewormed 3 times. They are eating canned food twice a day and nursing on momma only when she lets 1 or 2, but not often as they have teeth. The little female sneezes a lot like when she gets an upset tummy. How long will it take to get rid of these worms and is it normal for them to try eat their feces? This is first time I've had this problem and I've had some pretty pups I've given away in last 2 yrs.

By bb27803

My female Pit threw up little white maggot looking worm. What can I do to treat? I don't get paid for 10-11 days. Help please.

By kirkroberts90

Answers

Best Answer

Your dog has worms and the vet will give you something. They are more than likely roundworms. See if you have an ASPCA or Humane Society or Animal Shelter around you that might give him a dose of wormer and you could pay them back later.

When you get paid, you can take him to the vet and have them worm him.

If you still can't afford to go to the vets, then you need to do the deworming yourself, which I would use this product which is for roundworms and hookworms:

http://www.drsf  d=1430&rel=1

Or you could use this one which is for roundwoms and hookworms:

http://www.drsf  y.cfm?pcatid=522

These above do not remove tapeworms, but the tape worns will be in the dogs stool, and they kind of look like little grains of rice that move.

The product to use for the tapeworms would be safeguard, http://www.drsf  cfm?pcatid=13555

It removes one type of tape worm. Also, after following directions on the box, you can also take in a stool sample to the vets and confirm that the worms are gone.

Blessings,

Robyn

I just wormed my 5 month puppy and later in the day I noticed tiny spots of blood on the floor in his room. Is this normal?

By amber wallwork from Australia

Answers

Best Answer

You never stated the Brand product used, dosage given, or who recommended this. Never purchase any internal products for your animal. Please take your dog to your Veterinarian because bleeding in any form needs to be determined by the professionals.

I just bought an 8 week old, 3/4 Husky, 1/4 Shepherd puppy from a lady. She told me she dewormed it, but no shots. Is there anyway of knowing if she actually did deworming, as well how often should deworming be done? What is the lowest cost place possible to get the wormer, as I am a single mom with sole custody and tight on funds.

By Stacey

My dog is pooping out worms and they are crawling out the butt. They are long worms. What do I do?

By Mark

Answers

Best Answer

Take some of the worms to your Vet and he will give you medicine to get rid of the worms. Be careful about home remedies for worms, some can be very dangerous.

I just gave my 2 puppies a five in one shot. Now one is sluggish and has runny poop with blood and long white worms. Is this the meds working or something worse?

I have 2 dogs and I have bought the Dog Worms 3. I gave the first dose and it has not killed the worms. I need to know when is it safe to give the second dose. I have tried the diatomaceous earth and it had no affect. I am desperate. The vets here want full payment and I cannot pay the 85.00 that they want. Please help.

My puppy vomited worms 2 days ago, and he is not eating anything, just water. Is it OK to give him dewormer even if he is not eating?

By Jean

Could worming my 12wk old puppy cause a little blood in the poo?

By Gillian

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think worming could cause blood in the stool. However it is a huge red flag for PARVO. Parvo is a very serious disease young puppies can get that can be fatal really fast. Get your puppy directly to a vet.

My 16 year old German Shepherd/Pit Bull mix has worms. I called the vet and he told me to give him dewormer, but I don't want to give him harsh chemicals because of his age.
What should I give him?

By Destiney B

My three year old Catahoula Leopard dog has heart worms. Is there anything I can do for her at home for treatment instead of taking her to the vet because I don't have the money for that?

By Kelly from Port Charlotte, FL

Answers

Best Answer

There is no heart worm treatment you can do at home. The treatment is difficult for the dog and must be done by a Vet. Don't wait too long. The longer you wait the harder it will be for your dog. Heart worm is ultimately fatal.

I've given my puppy wormer that kills 3 types of worms. It's been a couple of weeks and he still shows symptoms. I don't want to risk harming my puppy, but don't have a lot of money what so ever. How much does it cost to go to the vet for this?

By SL

Answers

Best Answer

Safeguard for dogs (you do it three days) and Nemex 2. Both at feed supply store as. You have to give both.

Load More