Old Cell Phone for Emergencies

I have an elderly mother who likes to work in her garden, often when I'm not at home. Rather than have her carry an awkward portable phone outside for emergencies, I wanted to buy her an economical cell phone, but was annoyed with all the charges and limitations.

Then it dawned on me, when I saw a $10 LG/NetOne phone at a local store. It will allow 9-1-1 calls without any prepaid or contract plans. [All mobiles do, I believe]. So, I bought it for her, and should she fall or hurt herself, she can call for help. Now I don't worry so much about her being on her own. And it's very small and simple to use.

By KJRoberts from Central California

Excellent idea and Bless you for watching out for your mom! :-)

As a 70 something myself I think this a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

You are correct. All cellular phones will work when 911 is dialed whether there is a plan/carrier for the phone or not. The trick is to keep it charged. An old cell phone is good to keep in a car as well with a lighter charger. That way if you have trouble and haven't used the phone in a while (its dead) it can be charged fairly quickly and used while it is charging to call for help.

September 30, 2011 Flag

I have a Tracfone cell phone and have it with me most of the time, especially when I am by myself. To me, it's like insurance. I seldom use it, but it's comforting to know I have it if I need it.

If I lived alone, I would have my cell phone with me all of the time. You never know when you might fall or need help. I have a friend that was house sitting when she fell and broke her ankle. Luckily, she had her cell phone with her and was able to call for help. Another friend, that is having medical problems, could not get out of the tub after taking a bath. She sat there for 10 hours before anyone came to her aid. If she had had her cell phone with her, she could have gotten help quickly.

Be safe. It's good to have a way to contact someone if you need to.

By Litter Gitter from NC

This is such a good idea!

I was alone for 11 years (after a divorce ended my marriage of nearly twenty years). When I first got it (1997) I was still married, mobile phones were expensive but when my marriage ended in late 1998 I continued the cell phone plan even though there were months when it was really hard to find the money.

I kept it in my pocket during the day, where I could reach it should I take a fall while showering, and right next to the bed at night. I've recently remarried (Jan 2011) but still have the phone with me all of the time-it's a good habit that could make a difference one day.

Home and Garden Emergency PreparationDecember 17, 2010
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
striped knit sock like phone pouch
Making a Cell Phone Holder
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
Stack of Old Phone Books
Uses for Old Phone Books