Using a Cell Phone for Emergencies

I have an elderly mother who likes to work in her garden, often when I'm not at home. Rather than have her carry an awkward portable phone outside for emergencies, I wanted to buy her an economical cell phone, but was annoyed with all the charges and limitations.

Then it dawned on me, when I saw a $10 LG/NetOne phone at a local store. It will allow 9-1-1 calls without any prepaid or contract plans. [All mobiles do, I believe]. So, I bought it for her, and should she fall or hurt herself, she can call for help. Now I don't worry so much about her being on her own. And it's very small and simple to use.

By Karen Roberts from Central California

4 More Solutions

I have a Tracfone cell phone and have it with me most of the time, especially when I am by myself. To me, it's like insurance. I seldom use it, but it's comforting to know I have it if I need it.

Do you only want a cell phone in case you need to call 911, or only want a child to be able to call 911? You don't need to buy and activate a new phone for 911 service. Any digital cell phone will call 911, even if it's an older one that no longer is on your plan. Just make sure it is charged.

Unactivated Cell Phones for 911 - cell phone being charges

This page contains telephone tips and tricks. Phones can suffer some abuse and do get dirty. There are ways to help keep it functioning well for your household.

Man Using Telephone

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My daughter is 9 and has wanted a cell phone. I made a compromise. I gave her my old phone, which does not have a contract attached to it.

Better Living SafetyFebruary 5, 2018
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-a-Cell-Phone-for-Emergencies.html