Wildlife: Snapping Turtle

My husband was showing our 2 year old son what a "mean" turtle will do. He got it to snap at his boot a couple of times. I jumped every time it snapped, so this is the best picture I got. :) It's now our screen saver.

By Brandi

What a great pic! A real David and Goliath moment - my money's on David, he looks like he can handle himself!

May be a great picture, but dad was really teaching his son a lesson in foolishness. First of all, he should not be teaching a child to tease a wild animal. The animal isn't "mean," it's only defending itself the only way it knows from its tormentor. Secondly, maybe dad doesn't know that snapping turtles are capable of launching themselves over 4 feet into the air and attaching their jaws painfully to whatever they come in contact with. Dad got off very lucky this time - what a lesson that would have been for his son to see, and does he really want his son to try this on his own someday? That's how kids learn. They watch what we do and then do it themselves :-)

Is it me or is that poor turtle being tormented? He didn't ask to be aggravated. Let's hope your kid learns to leave nature where he found it, and not screw up the balance that nature sets!

This is a rather cruel picture. The turtle is not doing this for comedy or entertainment, he is feeling threatened....I do not find this amusing.

Photos WildlifeJune 11, 2010
Making a Turtle Costume for a Baby
Making a Turtle Costume for a Baby
making bread
Turtle Bread Recipes
Pretzel Turtle Recipes
Pretzel Turtle Recipes
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 9:05:31 PM on 10.0.1.65 in 989 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.