WildlifePhotos

Wildlife: Snapping Turtle

My husband was showing our 2 year old son what a "mean" turtle will do. He got it to snap at his boot a couple of times. I jumped every time it snapped, so this is the best picture I got. :) It's now our screen saver.

By Brandi

What a great pic! A real David and Goliath moment - my money's on David, he looks like he can handle himself!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

May be a great picture, but dad was really teaching his son a lesson in foolishness. First of all, he should not be teaching a child to tease a wild animal. The animal isn't "mean," it's only defending itself the only way it knows from its tormentor. Secondly, maybe dad doesn't know that snapping turtles are capable of launching themselves over 4 feet into the air and attaching their jaws painfully to whatever they come in contact with. Dad got off very lucky this time - what a lesson that would have been for his son to see, and does he really want his son to try this on his own someday? That's how kids learn. They watch what we do and then do it themselves :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Is it me or is that poor turtle being tormented? He didn't ask to be aggravated. Let's hope your kid learns to leave nature where he found it, and not screw up the balance that nature sets!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This is a rather cruel picture. The turtle is not doing this for comedy or entertainment, he is feeling threatened....I do not find this amusing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes