Decorating Ideas That are Gender Neutral

I am 19 years old and recently married. My husband is in the army. We moved to Killeen, TX from Clarksville, IN. We live in a two bedroom, two bath apartment, and we also have a roommate.

Being the only woman in the house, I'm allowed to do whatever I like with the house, but I have no idea what to do with it. I'd like it to be warm, friendly, and colorful, but also look like two men live here. I don't want it to be too manly. Does anyone have any ideas?

By Emily from Killeen, TX

I don't know if this will help at all, but my husband and I did our living room in hunter green with chocolate brown ceiling. its very warm and inviting :) we did a border that has moose bears and trees so its kind of a hunting/out doors theme :)

Also if its an apartment, check to be sure they will allow you to paint, most places in our area don't mind as long as you paint it back white when you move.

I would stick with neutral colors on the wall, beige, taupe, soft gray, etc. and bring the other colors into the room in the form of drapes, pillows, throw rugs and accessories. Almost any color is gender neutral as long as you stay away from pink, baby blue, lilac, or "baby nursery" mint green and yellow.

I hope you don't mind if I ask why you have a room mate living with you and your husband?

My husband spent his life in the military and our son is a captain in the army and is very close to his 20-year retirement.

I know for a fact that the military provides housing for their soldiers, so why wouldn't your room mate have his own apartment?

Red and tan with black framed art on the walls. Smashing color combo and easy to clean. Throw in a few potted cacti if you're good with plants!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating ApartmentApril 23, 2010
female gold finch
Determining the Gender of a Finch
Parakeets sitting on a wood perch.
Determining the Gender of a Parakeet
4 cute kittens.
Determining the Gender of a Cat
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating