Removing Cigarette Smoke Residue from Flat Screen TV

Category Electronics
Cleaning a flat screen TV with a soft cloth.
Residue from cigarette smoke can cling to many things in your home. This is a guide about removing cigarette smoke residue from flat screen TV.

My question is how to clean the screen of a flat screen TV in a home where there is a smoker (make that heavy smoker!) The instructions say use only the anti-static cloth lightly dampened. I just do not think that's gonna do the trick. Help please!

By aligirl from Hudson Valley, NY

Anonymous

Keep that opinion to yourself, it's not home their smoking in. They just wanted to know how to clean something. Not your opinion on their smoking habits.

Keep that opinion to yourself, it's not your home their smoking in. They just wanted to know how to clean something. Not your opinion on their smoking habits.

Regular window cleaner or citrus based surface cleaner works fine. Turn it off and let it cool, then lighlty mist it and let it soak for a minute or two, then mist it again and wipe it with a clean micro-fiber cloth or well washed old t-shirt.

If you treat it with the same respect as coated eyeglasses or camera lenses, it will be fine. The coating on it is the same.

If you need to dull the screen, so that it does not reflect the kitchen light or the window as much, THEN use the cloth without wetting the screen.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor/blog

Try isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It is the main ingredient in the monitor and TV cleaning sprays. Just us a soft microfiber cloth and be careful not to scratch the surface.

Light dishwashing liquid... not detergent... mixed with water in a spray bottle.

After unplugging your TV, spray the mix onto a microfiber cloth. NEVER spray anything directly onto your TV, and don't use vinegar or alcohol or anything other than this mix.

Buff in a side to side motion. If your flat screen is very large, you'll have to wipe in sections, and depending on the level of nicotine residue it may take you several times until your cloth turns up clean.

I just bought a new flat screen and the directions say do not use Windex or any cleaner with ammonia as an ingredient. I says it will fry the circuitry behind the screen. I would use a microfiber cloth dampened with vinegar or Pledge makes a Multi Surface spray and it also comes in package wet wipes. I buy the wipes as I can keep them in the cabinet under my tv. Also the Pledge wipes have an anti static ingredient which repels dust. It says right on the package it's safe for electronics!

http://www.pled  surface-cleaner/

Here is an eHow link for cleaning them or you can do a google search for "cleaning flat screen tv" :

http://www.ehow  t-screen-tv.html

Anonymous

I don't have a flat screen TV but I have a flat screen monitor. I unplug the monitor and clean with distilled vinegar with a soft cloth and have never had a problem. P.S. it's bad enough for someone to smoke and even worse to smoke inside. Nasties build up on everything including walls, windows and even clothes and linens in closed closets! And let's not forget to mention lungs :-(

Anonymous

I used a 2oz spray bottle 2 drops of Dawn dish detergent and filled with warm water. Spray over Tv and quickly but lightly not much pressure using microfiber cloth rub in circular motion to clean then on dry side of cloth gently like buff motion the screen and Tadaaaaa!! The Tv should look shiney and new no smudges or smears.

Anonymous

What can remove cigarette smoke from a flat screen TV

OMG! That worked so well!! I tried vinegar,glass cleaner, dry rub , water even a little drop of 3in1 oil because I saw it youtube. This was so easy, it was like magic. Thank you thank you thank you! ( funny I just noticed you posted this on my birthday. Thanks for the )

Hope this works. Had to order the detergent from Amazon. (£15.00 !)

Anonymous

What worked so well? Which method are you talking about when you say it was so easy and it was like magic? I just bought a 60 inch plasma tv on craigslist and didn't know they were smokers. It reeks of stale cigarette smoke...

We have a flat screen TV that has been stored at my mom's house. She smokes. She usually smokes outside but sometimes n the house. It's a nice TV, but I don't want our new house to smell of smoke. Is there something I could wipe it down with and not have it hurt my TV?

By Candy from Greeley, CO