Grilled Tomato Basil Cheese Sandwich

Yummo with Tomato Basil Soup!

• 4 slices Sourdough or Italian bread
  • 4 slices Mozzarella cheese
  • 4 thin slices of firm ripe tomatoes
  • Ad
  • 4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste, if desired
  • 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic salt

Directions:

Layer the cheese and tomatoes on 2 slices of bread. Evenly sprinkle with parmesan, basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread slices.

Combine the oil and garlic salt in a small bowl and brush over the outsides of both sandwiches.

Toast sandwiches in a skillet over medium heat, pressing occasionally, until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I can't wait until summer so I'll probably go with supermarket basil and farm stand winter tomatoes, but it'll be better than none at all. Thank you.

I often use tomatoes on my grilled cheese and I sometimes put grated parmesan mixed with butter on the outside for a tasty crunch to the bread. I have never thought of using balsamic - that sounds wonderful.

Hi Pjay ;-) I love your idea of mixing butter and Parmesan for the bread spread for a crunchy effect! I am actually planning on making this for dinner tonight (along with homemade Fire Roasted Tomato Soup) and am going to use your butter and parm but still add the garlic to it ;-) Thanks for the tip!

April 7, 2010 Flag

Love the added flavor from the tomato and basil :-)

• 2 slices oat bread
  • 2 slices cheddar cheese
  • 2 slices tomato
  • Fresh basil leaves
  • Ad
  • Olive oil for coating bread

Directions:

Lightly coat both sides of the bread with olive oil. Cook the bread slices on one side for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove slices from the skillet and place toasted side up on plate.

Top one of the toasted slices with the cheese, tomato and basil and then place the other slice of bread toasted side down.

Place the sandwich back into the skillet and cook until toasted and the cheese is melted.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Grilled Cheese
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Sandwiches HotApril 7, 2010
Grilled Cheesus
Egg in the Hole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich on red plaid tablecloth
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
🎄
🍂