Dealing With Snakes Under a Deck

Category Snakes
Snakes may hibernate or simply congregate under a deck. There are a number of ideas on this page for discouraging them as well as removing them. This is a guide about dealing with snakes under a deck.

I just found out that we have lots of snakes under our deck, I am afraid of snakes, please give me an idea of how to get rid of them for good.

Best Answer

I also have been told sulfur will repel them (and I think I would rather smell sulfur than mothballs; think it is a little more environmentally friendly, too?)

Best Answer

Farmer's Coop around here has some type of crystals/granules that you can put down that snakes will not cross. It keeps them away for quite a long time. If you have a coop there, I'm sure they will know what the stuff is.

early one morning my

daughter and I were slightly

digging in the backyard of

our new home,

she uncovered a very small

2inch coral snake that

quickly dissappeared.

what should I do?

When I lived on a farm, we used mothballs. It isn't eco-friendly, but it did work for us. We had a bad copperhead infestation, and those guys are aggressive! If you have black or king snakes, just let them hang out, they'll keep the others away.

If you can get someone who isn't afraid of snakes to do this...clean out from under your deck. Snakes LOVE dark, dry areas, that have lots of places to hide. Make sure there is nothing they can hide under. Plus, don't leave any cat/dog food out there, it attracts small animals like rodents that the snakes want to eat.

Join the snake haters club, I got up this morning to guess what? Sprinkle snake-away around the yard and a snake crawled out from my deck and was headed towarded the crawl space under my house. I screamed as I nervously shook the mix in the space where it was crawling and the snake backed out and came towards my direction. I thought it was showing aggression but as I think about it now that was the spot where it was b-4 I bother it. I didn't stick around to decide. I got called my neighbors to get rid of it twice and every time they would show up it would be gone, f-a-s-t mover. My husband came home and spray diesel fuel around the house along with the moth balls. I wish it would come out one more time so that we could kill it b-4 it gets dark. I got on the internet and thinks it is a cottonmouth. So maybe it was coming after me. I won't sleep a wink tonight.

Hi, it's me again. I guess the mothballs and diesel just baited the snake down for a little while, so guess who came out to play again today about the same exact time and place as the day b-4 on my deck. I called my neighbors again but this time WE GOT HER. I say it was a her because of its aggression. It didn't just want to get away but get whoever was bothering it. I Still get the willys when I think about it and I'm not comfortable on the deck right now. I HATE SNAKES! WE've made a decision to enclose the bottom of our deck so that there aren't any open spaces. Who knows just how long the snake has been there. Thanks to God no harm came to me or my love ones. I still believe that duraban will be your best buy for effectiveness.

This morning I was sitting on my deck and when I came in for my second cup of coffee and started out again, upon opening the screen patio door, I noticed to my left a black with a shiny silver {about 3 feet long} snake slithering along the railing and down my four stairs from the deck to the ground and under my deck.

I called th Feed store and they suggested either sulfur or mothballs. I threw the mothballs I had { about 20 of them} under the deck but never did see the SNAKE come out or about. Oh boy what a beginning of my quiet moments on the deck!

We have a business in NE Arizona and in the past month have had 3 Diamondback rattlers inside the building. We hired an expensive exterminator who put out Snake Away which did nothing. We're afraid to go to work or let customers in the building. It's pretty much freaking us out. We've been in business 22 years and have never seen a single snake until now. What's going on and how can we put an end to it?

Snakes eat birds and bird eggs. You don't need snakes to eat mice. Birds will do that. Hawaii does not have snakes. They have birds and mongoose for any rats near the wharfs.

What part of the country is everyone from that are finding snakes in their yards, decks etc.