Trouble Sewing Vinyl

I am trying to sew a piece of vinyl. When I sew on one piece it is okay. When I try to put two pieces together it will not pull up the bottom thread. What do I need to do?

Best Answer

They sell a special needle for this purpose, coated with Teflon. It will also help to put a little strip of tissue paper under the sewing foot over the vinyl and sew right through the paper. It will tear away easily when you're done stitching.

Best Answer

Definitely have the "RIGHT" needle. These days, they make a different needle for every type fabric, and if your sewing machine is fairly new (10yrs old or less) then your machine will need the proper type of needle to sew the vinyl as well as light, medium, or heavy weights, knits (stretchy) or woven fabrics, etc. It's amazing how many types of needles there are now. Also, you may need to adjust the bobbin tension as well as the upper tension. You might try a needle for sewing leather. Hope this is helpful.

Pat T in Ocala, FL

Is it skipping stitches? What I mean is, is it sewing one or two stitches and then skipping? I have had this problem when sewing vinyl. My solution was a fresh needle. They can become dull or create small hooks on the end really quickly when sewing thick dense fabric. hth

Check the needle first. Also, putting in a larger size might help. You would be amazed to know that how often a bent, dull or rough needles are at fault. Good luck.

It may be too thick for your machine.

sewing machine
Sewing Vinyl
Crafts SewingMarch 15, 2011
abstract tree wall decal
Making Vinyl Wall Decals
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl