Browsing: Organizing Dishes

Dishes Made Simple

We don't use the dishwasher that came with our house because it uses 9-16 gallons of water per wash and runs for hours! I can wash dishes by hand in 2-3 gallons of water.

We're giving the dishwasher to a neighbor whose dishwasher had broken. But we use ours as a dish drainer and we don't want to clutter our very limited counter space with drainers. So we've decided to build a dishrack above the sink where we can store and dry the dishes at the same time. This type of arrangement is very popular in Scandinavian countries where they make cabinets for this purpose.

This will eliminate the need for towel drying, dish drainers cluttering the sink, and we realized we can store more dishes in a row on their sides in a rack than stacked on top of each other. Also with the dishwasher gone, we will have more storage space that we can adapt to our needs.

By Rabbithorns

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

i would really like to see a picture of this if possible and directions on how to make it.

thanks so much

I would really like to see a picture of this with instructions also! Sounds like a great idea!

I can't find the link where I saw a picture of it, but it's just a regular-looking kitchen cabinet with a door, but the shelves are racks. I suspect anyone could build one - a box with racks that fit your dishes from one of those storage solution stores - and add a door that matches your kitchen. That's all we were doing.

The dishes stand upright on the bottom rack and glasses are laid upside-down on the top rack. I don't have space for pots so those get dried and put away right away, but I'm not much of a cook so we don't have lots of pots and pans to clean up anyway.

Just today I saw a countertop dishwasher at Home Depot. It was only $169 & I'm sure it wouldn't use much water at all. Sounds like this would be ideal for you.

Dishes arranged inside cabinet.
Organizing Dishes
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesDecember 22, 2004
dishwasher full of dishes
Dishwasher Leaves Soap Scum on Dishes
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business
A basket of cornbread muffins.
Gluten Free Cornbread Recipes
Cleaning Dishes
Cleaning Greasy Dishes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 20, 2016 at 3:11:20 PM on 10.0.0.4 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.