Browsing: Caring for Lavender in the Winter

Caring for Lavender and Fuschia in the Winter

Q: Does anyone know if lavender and fushia can stay outside in zone 6 during the winter months? I have all types. If not, can I bring it in as a houseplant? And how would I do that?

Thanks,
Eve

A: Eve,

English lavender should be hardy in zone 6, French and Spanish lavender cultivars are not. If you want to be safe, you can mulch them.

Very few varieties of fuchsia will survive below 20 degrees F and none will survive at temperatures below zero. You can try over-wintering it by cutting it back (leave 2-3 leaves on each branch) and keeping it indoors in a cool room until spring, or you can take a tip cutting (tips with 4-5 leaves). Remove the bottom pair of leaves and insert the stem into a moist, but well-drained potting medium until spring, also keeping the cutting in a cool room. A third option is to collect seeds now and sow them in April like you would other flower seeds. The plants will probably not flower until year two. If you have been growing the decorative pots from nurseries, you might get some interesting new varieties this way. To increase your chances of success, you might consider trying all three methods, but don't have high expectations.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I don't know about Fuschia but my Lavender is a perennial and remains outside all year round in Arkansas.

I live in Northern Indiana...my english lavender that I planted last year came back and it is really full this year, probably needing to be divided already. I had three small plants to start with and now they are three very large plants outgrowing the area I wanted them to be, so I think if you are in Zone 6 and have English Lavender they should be ok...I don't know anything about Fuschia. You could check out some gardening websites for advice, that's what I always do.

JoAnn

I live in Delaware where my lavender is a perennial, which stays outside all year. I cut it back either in the late fall after I've harvested all I can or in early spring before it begins new growth.

Lavender
Caring for Lavender in the Winter
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 3, 2005
Lavender flower in clear liquid filled jar.
Making Lavender Water Recipes
lavender crystals, oil, and flowers
Lavender Bath Recipes
Lavender Essential Oil
Using Lavender Essential Oil
Uses for Lavender
Uses for Lavender
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 18, 2016 at 7:13:15 PM on 10.0.1.146 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.