Keeping Hydrangea Blooms for Months of Enjoyment

Keep hydrangea bloom colors bright for months of enjoyment. I have some wonderful hydrangeas that would bloom for several weeks then the blooms would dry on the branch and the colors would fade. But several years back I came up with an idea that prolongs my hydrangea blooms for months.

What I did was buy some transparent florist's spray paint and lightly sprayed the blooms after they dried on the branch. And, because the florist's paint is transparent they continued to look like they were in full bloom with a very real looking color all the way through September.

You can buy a can of florist's spray paint at any craft store (for under $5) where they sell dried or silk flowers. (It comes in a spray can or a pump spray.) Don't be tempted to use regular spray paint as the blooms won't look real. If you can't find the florist's spray paint that's made especially for dried, silk and real flowers then you can simply buy a clear spray paint that has an Ultra Violet filter in it. This clear U.V. paint won't actually color your hydrangea blooms, but it will stop the colors from fading quickly.

You can make spraying your dried hydrangea heads easier by masking them off. Simply make a template out of a paper plate: Cut a slit from the outside to the center of the plate, (like you are cutting out a tiny sliver of pie) then cut a small hole in the center of the paper plate that's about an inch round. Then you simply tuck the flower's head into the front of the paper plate and it will protect the rest of the bush from being sprayed with color. If you don't have a paper plate a simple piece of printer paper or junk mail will also do the trick. I guarantee if you spray your hydrangea flowers lightly with transparent florist paint, you'll get months of enjoyment from them while they continue to look "Just Like New" even though they may have finished blooming weeks ago and they look "totally" real!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Hallo Cyinda

Like your tip. I also love hydrangeas, but I dry them. I put about one inch of water in a vase and then put the flowers in and leave them. Do not top the water up just let it evaporate, the flowers dry slowly and also last for months, years even.

Regards Polly from UK

I love hydrangeas too! I dry them by waiting till they are fairly dry on the bush and then either tying several stems together and hanging in a dry, dark place (my attic is perfect) or by gently placing them in the trunk of my car on a hot summer day. In the trunk they get nice and dry in a few days while you're doing your errands. Anne in North Carolina

If you dead head the bloom it promotes new growth. I can see spray painting a drying to look real but why would you want to spray your bush? Especially if you just cut off the dead blooms.

Growing Hydrangeas
Growing Hydrangeas
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJuly 13, 2008
Deadheading a Hydrangea
Deadheading a Hydrangea
Several different types of cut melons.
Freezing Melons (Cantaloupe, Crenshaw, Honeydew, And Watermelon)
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Getting Rid of Earwigs
🎉
🎄