AdviceCrafts

Attaching Fabric to Painted Wood Frame

I want to attach small bits of fabric to an unfinished wood frame I bought at Michaels. I painted a couple coats of acrylic paint already and wanted to attach the fabric to the paint. What type of adhesive should I use? What type of sealer should I use afterward? I should mention that I did not realize I needed to use a sealer on the wood first, so I applied the paint directly to the wood surface. Thanks for your advice.

Harmony from Vancouver, BC

Get some ModPodge at the hobby store. Use a paint brush to apply to the frame. Do each scrap separately, i.e., brush on an area, apply the scrap, brush on another area, apply the next scrap, etc. You don't want to do a large area and have it dry before you apply enough scraps to cover that area.

When the fabric is all where you want it, brush on an even coat of ModPodge. Follow the directions on the container about multiple coats. It dries clear. Don't spill it on your clothes!

I would agree with what Shishi said. Mod Podge would work well. For any other gluing project, a great site to go to is "thistothat.com" You just fill in the blanks. For instance if you want to glue wood to plastic, it lists several options.

Thank you both! I appreciate the help!

You may need to lightly sand the painted areas first where you want to apply the fabric. Use a medium grit sandpaper and a light touch. Good luck!

Oh honey - don't worry about priming the wood. I'm a full-time artist and the only reason to prime is that the first coat of paint tends to soak into unprimed wood - thereby making a second coat of paint necessary. I've attached more fabric to more weird surfaces than I care to mention - but when it comes to wood, please use a FABRIC GLUE.There's all sorts out there, Alenes, Fabric-Tac, just tons. I've never used mod podge [although I have a huge unopened can of it in the studio just waiting to be used!] However, I planned on using it for paper application - but you've got some experts who've highly recommended it. Now - One more BIG TIP - after the fabric is attached - especially if pieces/parts are going to be used - Please coat the entire project with a brush on clear acrylic for protection of the fabric from spills, etc.

GOOD LUCK! [ I never think you can truly make a mistake in art - you can only invent new uses for things and maybe wind up sharing your "mistake" - remember we call it a "brainstorm" with others! Barb

Thanks! I really appreciate your feedback, and your enthusiasm. You are so right, the reason we do creative things is to explore the risks involved with the unknown, and watch the outcome unfold. I have made note of your suggestions.