Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Problems Housebreaking a Dog

Pin It

I have a Dutch Mastiff (Pug). He's house broken for the most part. We feed a mix of dry and Alpo Selects canned. We walk him from half an hour to an hour after eating and walk him on a regular basis. He only poops when it's convenient for him.

Sometimes at least once a day, and the minute we leave (all of us) that's when it becomes convenient to him to poop. We have tried everything. Please help soon or I will have no choice, but to surrender him to the humane society.

By Lance from Kenosha, WI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By vladimirpoopen01/17/2011

I am having similar problems. I have a small shih tzu that used the pads I would leave out when I stepped away for both short and long periods. Now she ignores the pads and sneaks off to a random place to pee and sometimes poop. She was a perfect puppy but 10 months in this behavior kicked in (now a year old). I walk her 3-4 times a day. I think she is doing it in spite. For instance I will walk her then 2 hours later I will step out to pick up dry cleaning or some other errand. She was walked 2 hours ago! Why pee when you just went a short time ago? I don't know what to do at this point. I put her in the crate out of frustration when I should be putting her in there when I step out for a few minutes.

By sleepy05/13/2010

If this is a constant, repeating action... it is your dogs communication that he is upset with you all leaving him alone. Do you speak to your dog before you all/or the last person leaves the house. For example, "I'LL BE BACK". If you try teaching him this by doing it several times an evening, everyone going out of the house at the same time. Sit outside for about 5 mins, then come in and praise him for being good (that is if he doesn't potty). Or if he does, repeat bad boy, and do not give any positive attention for 5 mins. Dogs have no concept of time, so 5 mins to him is the same as being gone for the day. Dogs are like children, any attention is welcomed. And this is his way of saying he is not pleased that you all leave him alone. When he learns the phrase, you'll be surprise how he will just lay somewhere and watch the door for you to return. Note: a dog who is taught words, learn fast. It is a key to success for any training. Keep the words short in the beginning. Dogs can learn/have a vocabulary of/up to 200 words. Just be consistent in the word! And until he learns words, your phases of more than 4 words won't work. GOOD LUCK.

By caralea [9]05/13/2010

Crate train your dog, I've never had a dog not housebroke this way.

By Unfrivolus Fawn05/13/2010

You need to let your dog know where its good to potty. Reinforce the good when he goes where you want him to...this may be in a potty pad in the house (try placing some of his poo on there when you leave so he gets the idea) and start slowly moving the potty pad to the back or front door when you come in and noticed he hasn't peed take him immediately for a walk soon enough he will be waiting at the door at the same time everyday knowing you will take him to potty by him sitting in that same place. Also make sure you are staying outside long enough for he little guy to not feel pressured. I have a Boston terrier and she won't go if she knows I am expecting her to go so I have to plan to water the garden and distract myself so that she can potty in peace. Good luck to you.

By Tamara Jestice [2]05/13/2010

I'm no dog expert, but the way we handled this was to use a cage. No one like to poop where they have to live. Put the dog in the cage when you leave the house, at night or any other times when he's gotten into trouble. If he does poop in the cage, it is unlikely he will do it more than once. This will teach him to take the walks seriously. Eventually you can remove the cage. After a year and a half we removed the cage, and oddly our dog still retreated to the spot where the cage was to sleep or any time we'd leave the house. Good luck!

Here are questions related to Problems Housebreaking a Dog.

Question: Housebreaking an 8 Month Old Husky

I have an (estimated) 8 month old Husky that I rescued from the Humane Society. I am having the hardest time housebreaking her. I can't understand why. We go on several long walks a day, and yet it seems she waits until we get home to use the bathroom. Sometimes she will wait and go in the yard, but usually she goes in the house. I cannot force her to potty when we are on our walks. I have her on a very routine schedule as far as going out, eating, and walking, yet she continues to defy me. Any suggestions?

By Christina P

Most Recent Answer

By tricia minter [11]09/25/2011

My son brought home a 10 week old female husky almost 8 years ago. We trained her with bacon treats she was wild about. She also loves bread and knows the sounds of the plastic wrap and will about tear the door down if she's outside and hears the bread bag. It is so funny! We always used the same word-potty- every time we took her out.

She soon learned that potty meant to go outside and "go potty". She also knows "outside" means the same. She has learned many words over the years and is the sweetest and most gentle of dogs. She has never messed in the house and it seems no matter how long we leave her for; she always waits to go outside. I always tell him that she's the best $50.00 he will ever spend in his life. It just takes time to train and all animals are different.

Question: Housebreaking an 8 Month Old Dog

I have a 7 or 8 month old Miniature Pinscher. He was a rescue, and the person could not tell me his exact age. I got him at about 5 to 6 months old.

He only ever peed in the house twice and never again. I was ecstatic! He did continue to poo in the house and has only stopped doing this a few days ago. From the second night I had him he would hold his bladder for 8-9 hours a night without doing anything in his cage.

Okay, so my problem is this. My Miniature Pinscher has to be crated when we are not home. I went out for only the 6th time since we have had him, and he pees in his crate every time. Even if we are only gone for an hour. What can I do? On average how long can these dogs hold their bladder? By the way I walked him for 30 minutes before I put him in is crate, and he had done his business. Thanks for any help you all can give me!

By Marie

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna [13]08/20/2011

The pet seems to be getting a lot of fluid to drink and of course that's going to create more potty breaks in the day. Cut back on the water intake when you are going away for an hour and then give the dog water when you return.

Or, if you can make a fenced in dog lot in your back yard for him to stay when you're away, the heavy drinking wouldn't matter as you give him a potty break before coming back inside. Another idea would be to have the dog wear a belly band for incontinent problems when indoors when you leave the house or place a pee pad in the crate so it holds the liquid.

I have an older female who uses doggie pants as she's incontinent from having been frequently bred in her younger years and when we got her it didn't take long to find out the washable panties saved a lot of extra cleaning behind her when indoors.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

My Sheltie is 7 months old and i can't get him housebroken. I have tried crate training him, taking him outside at different times during the day and night and as soon as I bring him back inside he will go hide and pee or poop in my house. He thinks the outside is for running and playing. Belinda

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

He may be like one of my dogs and think that if he does his business outside, then he will immediately have to come back inside, so he doesn't do it outside, thinking he will have maximum play time that way. Take him out after meals and every few hours, but set a schedule and stick to it, so he knows when he will go outside next. Consistency is the key to success. If he goes in the house, tell him NO immediately at the first sign and take him outside. If he goes outside, tell him he's the best dog in the world and act like it -- play with him and maybe even give him a treat. This worked for my dog. I just had to keep her with me in my direct line of sight in the house so she couldn't do anything without me seeing her do it. It's a little inconvenient, but well worth it. Mine responds better to taking walks. I also told her "be a good girl, Maggie" every time when I wanted her to go and told her enthusiastically that she was a "good girl" when she did and now she will usually pee on command. This is helpful if we need to make a quick trip outside at night and don't want to hang around out there. I just have to be careful not to use that wording when I don't want her to go. I should have been more careful about choosing the words up front, but too late now. :-) (06/10/2005)

By guest

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

Don't let him play in the house, after you take him out and if he don't go, then put him back into the crate immediately! Do not let him play in the house. He'll get the idea. Put him in the crate and keep him in the crate unless you take him out (06/10/2005)

By Karen

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

I had a friend that would train her dogs by holding them on a short leash while in the house and not in the crate. When the dog would start sniffing around, she would immediately lead the dog outside to do its business. Worked like a charm. Just have to be diligent and not oblivious to the dog's behavior while on the leash inside the house. (06/11/2005)

By BarbMoore

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

Take him out of the crate, put his 3 foot leash on...TAKE HIM RIGHT OUT...you stand in one spot, keep making him walk around you in a circle...in a couple of minutes he will start to sniff the area, then go potty...tell him how wonderful he is THEN let him play a few minutes. Do this EVERY time you take him out..pretty soon he will potty as soon as you take him out..then play! (06/11/2005)

By Mary

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

Before buying my pup ,I had my parents dogs over to leave lots of scent in my yard, we had some accidents in the house but basically after 2 weeks he was 98% out side if you have friends or family with dogs i think you should get them over to leave lots of scent in your yard and don't pick up the poo leave it a while. and probably having other dogs he will begin to copy them... try it and let us know (06/15/2005)

By angie79

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

oops and I forgot to say if he has "special spots" inside where he likes to go put his food dish there or water give him treats there and play there so he associated those places as fun places and not the bathroom sorry didn't put it in the first post (06/15/2005)

By angie79

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

your dog might want to live outdoors and they don't like to go potty in their living area, so convince your dog it is an inside dog (06/17/2005)

By Guest

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

When he goes inside distract him and clean up with an enzyme cleaner that will eliminate ALL odor (you can get this at a pet store or in the pet section at Wal-mart. You can also use vinegar, but it's not as effective). Spend lots of time outside and whenever he goes immediately give him a HIGH VALUE food treat (think dried liver, cat treats etc.). I have trained many a foster dog this way and it never takes longer than a day or two. Make sure you get all the odor from inside though (the smell cues the dog that this is an okay place to use the bathroom) and stay outside until your dog goes. Then stay a little longer so the dog doesn't correlate using the bathroom with having to go inside. Check your library for books on dog training for more information. Patricia McConnell and Jean Donaldson are two authors I would highly recommend. Good luck:)! (07/07/2005)

By guest

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

I happen to be watching my brother's dog for a month or so, and we just realized, IT'S NOT HOUSEBROKEN! It #2ed on the corner of our piano, #1ed on my mom's bedpost, and #1ed on our living room couch!! One problem though. IT'S ALMOST 4 YEARS OLD! AAAAAAAAAHHHHH! (b)Editor's Note:(/b) The dog is probably not sure where to go. Make sure you take him out regularly and praise him when he goes in the right place. If you don't have a yard that is safe for him to be out, make sure you take him for regular walks. Dogs are a fair amount of work. He also probably misses your brother, so because this is going to be a fairly long term placement, you are going to need to work on it. If you can talk to your brother, ask him about it, if this is normal behavior for him. (07/16/2007)

By anonymus

Archive: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

We adopted our dog Scruffy (hes a Bichon Shih Tzu) about 6 months ago from another family. He still uses the bathroom inside. We have really been trying hard to find solutions but every time he gets better, he seems to fall off the wagon so to speak.

Archive: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

My dog only pees and poops in the house. Any suggestions?

By yetmost from Jacksonville, FL

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

Take the dog poop outside and place it in the yard and let sit. Then constantly let dog walk around the yard until he finds his own spot. There may have been another dog before yours that had lived in the house that's why he keeps marking his territory. I had the same problem, but stopped as soon as we moved. Weird I know. (09/10/2009)

By mzamminer

RE: Problems Housebreaking a Dog

Do you have any dog parks in your area? Try taking him where other dogs have gone and maybe he'll get the hint. Praise him when he goes outside. Don't scold when he goes inside. Try to catch him in the act and immediately take outside, praising him. (09/13/2009)

By ahastings7878