Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Alternatives To Baby Oil For Dry Skin

I have dry but smooth skin. What can I use besides baby oil to keep more moisture?

DCHOCLATE from ATLANTA, GA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By fptootle (Guest Post)07/21/2008

Have you tried coconut oil, cocoa butter, or olive oil? Lacadrin lotion mild or regular, are excellent but stingy if skin is broken, but protect well against elements. I have just discovered something called Bio-oil which is apparently used on oil soaked water fowl after they have been washed down, because of oil spills they no longer float, feathers absorb water,this gives the feathers new life . Any way the stuff is brilliant, pleasant refreshing, non greasy, worth a serious try.

By Jane07/09/2008

I had a massage and asked the masseuse what she used as it made my skin very soft. Canola Oil! I am a flight attendant and get very dry skin from being on the plane on long flights. I put the oil in a spray bottle, available at most drugstores, and add a few drops of essential oil. I use bergamot as it has a great fresh smell. Before I get out of the shower I shake most of the water off and then spray my body with the oil and massage into skin. It absorbs very quickly when mixed with the water left of my body. Extra tip: keep your towel on your hair so it doesn't get greasy. Also I spray it on my back and then use a long handled plastic cooking spoon to rub the oil into my back. Canola oil doesn't have a smell like olive oil. If you prefer fragrance free, just leave out the essential oils.

By Sandy from California (Guest Post)06/26/2008

Think about it. If you want to stop smoking they put a patch on you. If you need some other meds - they put a patch on you. Your skin is your second liver and putting stuff on it that will be absorbed by your body is dangerous.
If your skin is dry - you are just flat not drinking enough water or your body doesn't utilize the water well. Try drinking more and use an alkalizing water like Essentia water some.
As far as softening your skin: use a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in your bath water. When you get out and dry off the vinegar goes away. It is also the best sunburn remedy I have ever known.

By Monita (Guest Post)06/19/2008

I like this homemade recipe for dry skin lotion.

2 bottles of baby lotion
8 oz. vaseline( petroleum jelly)
8oz. vitamin E cream

I mixed them together with my electric mixer.
Got the lotion and vaseline at the Dollar Store,vit.E cream at Wal-Mart

By Lynda (Guest Post)06/18/2008

Don't have a clue as to why, but doctors recommend eating
eggs regularly if you have dry skin.

By (Guest Post)06/18/2008

You need to make sure your baths are not hot as this will make your skin itch more - use sorbolene instead of soap and use sorbolene again for a skin moisturizer. I have very bad skin and this is what works for me - also you could try using a low ph cleansing bar like Pintarsol

By Cariboo Lady. (Guest Post)06/17/2008

Use suntan lotion all year round..it is made to keep your skin from drying out in the hot sun. That way you won't waste it when it sits all winter.

By Karyn [29]06/17/2008

Drinking lots of water will hydrate your skin and keep it smooth and soft. When I notice my face start to get dry, I know I need to up my water intake.

Karyn

By melody_yesterday [213]06/17/2008

vegetable glycerine:
if you use it internally as I have as a natural sweetener for my coffee or my bedside ice water it needs to be %100 PURE.
I have also used it in my hair (it's gel like the same as a vitamin E caplet or pricey hair treats) & on my skin & for that have a bottle of %97 pure.
It actually ATTRACTS moisture whereas other products might RETAIN it.
It's awsome.

By Mary Lou [14]06/17/2008

If your skin is extremely dry look for a lotion that has oatmeal in it like Aveeno(there are non-brand name ones that cost less and have oatmeal in them) or try using glycerine(first aid aisle at drug store) either plain or they make a lovely one that includes rosewater. Glycerin seals in water that is on the skin so I would use it instead of a toner, after cleansing and before moisturizing. Speaking of cleansing, you may want to forgo the soap and use a cleansing cream instead especially on your face. Try this website to find recipes for natural products u make yourself www.pioneerthinking.com

RE: Alternatives To Baby Oil For Dry Skin

By (Guest Post)06/17/2008

Extra-virgin olive oil works wonders! No perfumes or harsh chemicals. It only takes a tiny bit to spread over the skin. If you can, apply it after a shower, at night, and cover (hands & feet) with cotton socks/gloves. You will see a big difference within one week if you do this everyday. My heels have never looked this great! They used to crack and bleed, but no more. The olive oil never stings any open skin either. Good luck. :)

Stephanie from Ohio

By connie (Guest Post)06/17/2008

We all have extremely dry skin. I would recommend pure unrefined coconut oil.

By velsgal (Guest Post)06/17/2008

I use sweet almond oil. I love it. It's natural and non greasy. It soaks in quickly too. I use the NOW brand and found it at my local whole foods store. Almond oil can also be used in cooking and salads but I have not tried it yet. Blessings to you and I hope you find just what you need.