Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Alternatives To Baby Oil For Dry Skin

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I have dry but smooth skin. What can I use besides baby oil to keep more moisture?

DCHOCLATE from ATLANTA, GA

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By velsgal (Guest Post) 06/17/2008 Flag

I use sweet almond oil. I love it. It's natural and non greasy. It soaks in quickly too. I use the NOW brand and found it at my local whole foods store. Almond oil can also be used in cooking and salads but I have not tried it yet. Blessings to you and I hope you find just what you need.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By connie (Guest Post) 06/17/2008 Flag

We all have extremely dry skin. I would recommend pure unrefined coconut oil.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 06/17/2008 Flag

Extra-virgin olive oil works wonders! No perfumes or harsh chemicals. It only takes a tiny bit to spread over the skin. If you can, apply it after a shower, at night, and cover (hands & feet) with cotton socks/gloves. You will see a big difference within one week if you do this everyday. My heels have never looked this great! They used to crack and bleed, but no more. The olive oil never stings any open skin either. Good luck. :)

Stephanie from Ohio

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary Lou 14 765 06/17/2008 Flag

If your skin is extremely dry look for a lotion that has oatmeal in it like Aveeno(there are non-brand name ones that cost less and have oatmeal in them) or try using glycerine(first aid aisle at drug store) either plain or they make a lovely one that includes rosewater. Glycerin seals in water that is on the skin so I would use it instead of a toner, after cleansing and before moisturizing. Speaking of cleansing, you may want to forgo the soap and use a cleansing cream instead especially on your face. Try this website to find recipes for natural products u make yourself www.pioneerthinking.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By melody_yesterday 228 664 06/17/2008 Flag

vegetable glycerine:
if you use it internally as I have as a natural sweetener for my coffee or my bedside ice water it needs to be %100 PURE.
I have also used it in my hair (it's gel like the same as a vitamin E caplet or pricey hair treats) & on my skin & for that have a bottle of %97 pure.
It actually ATTRACTS moisture whereas other products might RETAIN it.
It's awsome.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Karyn 31 125 06/17/2008 Flag

Drinking lots of water will hydrate your skin and keep it smooth and soft. When I notice my face start to get dry, I know I need to up my water intake.

Karyn

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cariboo Lady. (Guest Post) 06/17/2008 Flag

Use suntan lotion all year round..it is made to keep your skin from drying out in the hot sun. That way you won't waste it when it sits all winter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 06/18/2008 Flag

You need to make sure your baths are not hot as this will make your skin itch more - use sorbolene instead of soap and use sorbolene again for a skin moisturizer. I have very bad skin and this is what works for me - also you could try using a low ph cleansing bar like Pintarsol

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lynda (Guest Post) 06/18/2008 Flag

Don't have a clue as to why, but doctors recommend eating
eggs regularly if you have dry skin.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Monita (Guest Post) 06/19/2008 Flag

I like this homemade recipe for dry skin lotion.

2 bottles of baby lotion
8 oz. vaseline( petroleum jelly)
8oz. vitamin E cream

I mixed them together with my electric mixer.
Got the lotion and vaseline at the Dollar Store,vit.E cream at Wal-Mart

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandy from California (Guest Post) 06/26/2008 Flag

Think about it. If you want to stop smoking they put a patch on you. If you need some other meds - they put a patch on you. Your skin is your second liver and putting stuff on it that will be absorbed by your body is dangerous.
If your skin is dry - you are just flat not drinking enough water or your body doesn't utilize the water well. Try drinking more and use an alkalizing water like Essentia water some.
As far as softening your skin: use a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in your bath water. When you get out and dry off the vinegar goes away. It is also the best sunburn remedy I have ever known.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jane 1 07/09/2008 Flag

I had a massage and asked the masseuse what she used as it made my skin very soft. Canola Oil! I am a flight attendant and get very dry skin from being on the plane on long flights. I put the oil in a spray bottle, available at most drugstores, and add a few drops of essential oil. I use bergamot as it has a great fresh smell. Before I get out of the shower I shake most of the water off and then spray my body with the oil and massage into skin. It absorbs very quickly when mixed with the water left of my body. Extra tip: keep your towel on your hair so it doesn't get greasy. Also I spray it on my back and then use a long handled plastic cooking spoon to rub the oil into my back. Canola oil doesn't have a smell like olive oil. If you prefer fragrance free, just leave out the essential oils.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By fptootle (Guest Post) 07/21/2008 Flag

Have you tried coconut oil, cocoa butter, or olive oil? Lacadrin lotion mild or regular, are excellent but stingy if skin is broken, but protect well against elements. I have just discovered something called Bio-oil which is apparently used on oil soaked water fowl after they have been washed down, because of oil spills they no longer float, feathers absorb water,this gives the feathers new life . Any way the stuff is brilliant, pleasant refreshing, non greasy, worth a serious try.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes