Wildlife: Grasshopper

I was just finishing my lunch when I saw this big grasshopper on a wooden chair next to my fridge. I guess he didn't like it outside, it was quiet hot for our country Slovenia, 37 degrees.

By Evelin

October 21, 2011 Flag

I've always been curious about what grasshoppers eat. While walking the dogs with my husband, one day I found out.

We were down in the field below our home and there were grasshoppers leaping to and fro everywhere in the grass! I followed one around for a while, and it eventually began feeding on this dandelion. I was so excited that I nearly dropped my camera! I know that sounds silly, but I always get so excited when I feel I have the chance to photograph something extra neat.

Anyway, now I know a little more about what grasshoppers eat and want to thank God for the neat experience. I hope you all enjoy my sharing it with you. Keep on smiling!

By Chelle152 from Coquille, OR

Grasshopper Eating

Another name for grasshopper is locust, like the biblical variety. They eat almost anything green.

Cool photo...and it looks like the grasshopper is looking right at you! Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful shot and inspiring attitude. Thanks!

Pretty cool - I always knew those dandelions were there for a reason! If you can find them early, the leaves make pretty good eating for people, too.

October 5, 2011 Flag

I just loved this little guy. I was taking my dogs out to do their business, when I saw literally hundreds of little grasshoppers and crickets jumping in every which direction with every step I took. It was amazing!

Closeup of Large Grasshopper

Close-up of a grasshopper on a leaf
Grasshopper Photos
Photos WildlifeJuly 29, 2010
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
Raccoon looking for goodies in a waste bin
Protecting Wildlife from Your Garbage
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife