Recycling Rewards From Nearby States

I wasn't sure where to post this but here goes... I am interested in saving our environment, we all should be, we need to preserve the earth and its resources for our children and many more after them.

But what I really want to know is can I make money by doing it? I live in a state that barely recycles and doesn't reward those who do. Even our voluntary collection buckets get tossed in the regular garbage trucks by their workers. So is it illegal for me to go to a state that will recycle my goods and give me a deposit or do i have to be a resident of that state to claim the deposit?

Anyone who knows anything about this please respond, have searched but have not answers yet.

Rachel

Wondering, what state do you live in ??

As for taking in bottles and cans in from one to another, and receive deposits on it, without actually paying for the deposit in when purchasing the goods: It is illegal in some states, I do recall that is unlawful in Michigan. However, it is does not appear to be enforced much.

[I've did it numerous times when I went up to visit my sister...hehe...]

Do you live near the border of another state ? If not, it doesn't seem feasible to drive all that way for your recyclables.

Alternatives to driving to other states are: to get politically involved and voice your concerns to your local councilman or representative.

The other possibility is to drop off your recyclables at designated areas in your city/state. Either the city has their own designated areas, or many non-profits, like schools and scouts, collect certain recyclables for profit.

We used to make a trip to Iowa from our home in Arkansas every spring to visit my dad. I would save the Sam's Cola cans from WalMart all year, and then take them along to Iowa and turn them in. Iowa has a 5¢ per can deposit....Arkansas has none.

rockytopp