Food FixesFood Tips

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

I would like to know how to make brown frosting with out brown coloring?

By Christine from Girard, PA

I'm confused by the title (Non chocolate Brown Frosting) and your question (brown frosting without brown coloring). So, just to clarify, you want a brown frosting, but you don't want it to taste like chocolate, AND you don't want to use food coloring?

You can make brown frosting without using cocoa (chocolate flavored). For that, I'd recommend getting some Wilton food coloring in the little pots.

http://www.wilt  597A6ED538D55E2B

If you don't want chocolate flavor, and you don't want food coloring, I don't know what to suggest.

My grandmother used to make a boiled icing that the sugar caramelized in. It was a pale brown/tan sort of color. I'm sorry, but I'll have to look for the recipe, if I have it.

There is also a cooked brown sugar frosting that is tan in color.

Browned sugar frosting recipe-or perhaps just use a butter creme frosting and tint with brown food coloring.