Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

I would like to know how to make brown frosting with out brown coloring?

By Christine from Girard, PA

I'm confused by the title (Non chocolate Brown Frosting) and your question (brown frosting without brown coloring). So, just to clarify, you want a brown frosting, but you don't want it to taste like chocolate, AND you don't want to use food coloring?

You can make brown frosting without using cocoa (chocolate flavored). For that, I'd recommend getting some Wilton food coloring in the little pots. ... =3E33265A-475A-BAC0-597A6ED538D55E2B

If you don't want chocolate flavor, and you don't want food coloring, I don't know what to suggest.

My grandmother used to make a boiled icing that the sugar caramelized in. It was a pale brown/tan sort of color. I'm sorry, but I'll have to look for the recipe, if I have it.

There is also a cooked brown sugar frosting that is tan in color.

Browned sugar frosting recipe-or perhaps just use a butter creme frosting and tint with brown food coloring.

November 7, 2009 Flag

How can you make brown-colored frosting that is not chocolate? My nephew wants a football birthday cake, but he does not eat chocolate. I have not had luck with coloring the frosting brown. I would rather not have to buy a container of brown food coloring. Any help would be appreciated.

Ann Marie

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

Red and green food color can be used to make brown. (02/28/2005)

By pzmeskal

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

Red and green make kind of a brownish-greyish kind of yuk. I was hoping someone had some other ideas. (02/28/2005)

By terpsy

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

What about just making the cake another color, such as off white (buttercream) with the laces made of shoestring licorice? (02/28/2005)

By Katie A.

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

What about dark brown sugar added to white frosting? (02/28/2005)

By Tynical

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

Brown color - mix the following:

By beanygurl

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

How about a bit of coffee or tea to white frosting? I'm not sure how much or if it would taste too much like either of the above. Or maybe cola? (02/28/2005)

By Cavelady

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

Wilton has a good selection of food colourings- their brown is very concentrated. You can get them at any Michael's store or cake decorating stores. (03/01/2005)

By emain

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

You could top the frosting with crushed graham crackers or a similar colored cookie. (11/08/2007)

By Marta

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

The 6 red, 4 green, and 6 yellow suggestion does not work. It is a yucky grey, anything but brown. (12/19/2007)

By Gabby

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

I tried this recipe and it worked:

We added more drops of each color because we made quite a bit of frosting. (09/13/2008)

By Ann F

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

I've read that orange and a small amount of black will make brown. (Red and yellow), and if you happen to have a black tube of frosting, it may work. (10/09/2008)

By Crystal

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

Mix yellow and blue to make green, then add green and red to get brown. (11/16/2008)

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

Adding cocoa powder helps. Warning: 6 red, 6 yellow, and 4 blue gives you a blueish grey color. (12/22/2008)

By Mitchell

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

I use this and it dyes the icing a light brown:

By Gina

Non-chocolate Brown Frosting

Just go to Walmart and buy a jar of Wilton brown gel paste food coloring its about $1.25 and it will make it much easier and they last forever. So you would never have to buy more and since its gel paste its concentrated so you only have to use a little. (03/01/2009)

By Shannon

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesNovember 7, 2009
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Vanilla frosting on a lemon layer cake.
Vanilla Frosting Recipes