Ideas for Preparing for a Job Interview at a Botanical Garden

I have an interview for an apprenticeship at a prestigious botanical garden on Thursday. I am currently working for my local council and feedback from my last interview recommends extending my knowledge beyond the plants met in my local parks. Please help, I don't know where to begin!

By Julia from UK

Find out about the wildlife that live in the gardens like rabbits, fox, opposums, and what kind of birds, and even butterflies and spiders. Is there a river or stream running through the gardens? Is there a lake? If so find out what kind of fish are in them. And it wouldn't hurt to know as much of the complete history of the gardens as possible too. ;-)

Deeli is right regarding expanding your knowledge of the wildlife at the gardens. I was going to suggest an approach similar to her last point, become familiar not just with the history of the gardens, but also you could research the focus of the gardens. What types of plants are on display? Do they have a collection of exotic plants? Do they showcase a specific variety of plant, ie. orchids, ferns, ornamentals, etc. Do they have demonstration gardens? You get the picture. Learn everything you can about the garden before the interview and then sell your willingness to learn more and your enthusiasm should do the rest. Best wishes for the upcoming interview. I hope you are successful in your pursuits.

Tour the gardens with a notebook taking notes on what plants are there; outdoor, indoor, tropical, desert if any and riparian plants or other categories. Using that info, research info regarding what other types of plants could thrive in areas in the gardens. Perhaps make note of colors and scents and textures that are present and research what new types of colors, scents and textures could possibly be additions to the collections. Good luck.

Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobApril 10, 2011
moonflower closeup
Growing Moonflowers
Teacher with Student in a Botanical Garden
Visiting Botanical Gardens
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job