A sewing kit is a great gift for anyone leaving home.
- tin (an Altoids tin is perfect)
- tape measure
- buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps
- black, white, and dark blue thread
- straight pins, needles, and safety pins
- needle threader
- Cut notches in the edges of a small piece of card and wind thread around it, sticking the ends down with scotch tape.
- Cut out two squares of felt.
- Loosely sew the buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps to one square, knotting them each individually.
- Push the pins and needles through the other square. Place everything inside the tin. Et voila!
By Beth from England
May 11, 20070 found this helpful
A VERY GOOD IDEA. thanks for sharing it. i would never have thought to do this
May 13, 20070 found this helpful
What a cute idea!
May 29, 20070 found this helpful
I used one of those very thin (business-card-size) magnets and stuck it to the outside. (You can use the ones that come as a product promotion and cut it to size.) Watch the magnetic fields. It's handy for keeping the needles inside the metal tin.
By guest (Guest Post) Flag
June 15, 20070 found this helpful
These make GREAT gifts to homeless folks, AND for keeping one for the car and camping/traveling. I'd add a tiny pair of folding scissors or a SAFETY COVERED straight-edge razor blade for cutting. Going a step further, one could thread several needles in different colors of thread as is sold in local stores in a package for about $2.00. Saves a lot of frustration when away from home or if having
poor vision. God bless you. : )
July 1, 20070 found this helpful
I've been looking for something to do with those containers...thanks alot! Great Idea!
February 28, 20090 found this helpful
I use my tins for my meds when I travel.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on December 2, 2016 at 7:08:24 AM on 10.0.2.82 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us