Getting Donated Fleece Fabric

Where can I can I get donated fleece fabric to make baby blankets to donate to the hospitals for Christmas? My daughter and I are making these to donate and could possibly make them for the homeless if I can get enough fabric.

Heather from Denver, CO

I'd make a list of all the stores near you that sell the fabric. Then call each of them and ask them if they'd be willing to donate even a small bit (however much you need to make a child's blanket). Make sure that you ask for the store manager when you call. If they can't donate the fabric, or even if they can, you can also ask them if they could give you a discount on some fabric if you get donations to buy some. You could call companies and ask them for donations (even if it's $5) to buy the fabric. If they need a little incentive, you could offer to put a little tag on each blanket (a little piece of paper attached by a piece of yarn or something) stating that it was donated by the following people, and then list them as one of them. If you write them a thank you letter for their donation, and explain that you donated the finished product to a non profit cause, it may be tax deductable as well. You could also ask your local girl scout, boy scout, cub scout troops, or Red Cross. Good luck!

I'd also ask on FreeCycle or Craigslist for your area, letting people know what you plan to do. Maybe some people have some fleece they'd give you.

Would large scraps work?

Samantha's suggestions were right on. Fabric Stores might give you ends of bolts that they can't sell. To prove that you do donate to charity, you might get a letter from the the charity you donated to, saying who you are and about your donation. Make sure it is on an official letter head from the charity. When I worked for a non-profit organization, we sent letters to company's or places of business on our official letterhead. Company's will not donate if you don't have an official letterhead. You can make one on your computer if you have Word or Word perfect. You have to prove that you are legit. Besides the Red Cross, talk to a manager from the Salvation Army, Goodwill, MELD, W.A.V.E. or other organizations in your area that help people in need. It is a lot of work but worth the effort when you see the looks of grateful people. Good luck in your search.

Try www.freecycle.org and put in your location. Freecyle is where you can ask for things for free. You would be surprised what people have to give away.

Better Living Charity AdviceDecember 8, 2008
Fleece Fabric
Making a Fleece Doll Blanket
Three Fleece Blankets
Making A Fleece Blanket
Fleece Hat, Gloves and Scarf
Crafts Using Fleece
stacks of fabric
Getting Fabric Donations for Charity Projects
🎄