Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

House Fire
A house or apartment fire is devastating. Coping with the aftermath can be easier if you have assistance. This is a guide about finding agencies to help after a house fire.

How do I get grants after a fire at my house?

Answer Was this helpful? 16

I had a fire in my home Dec 1st in PA. I lost everything. I am single, all alone and on disability. Can't afford to rebuild. Can I get any help? I am reaching out as the house was not insured. Please help. Is there any assistance available?

By Robin S.

Answers

Best Answer

It depends on what type of help you are requesting. I don't know of any organization that will rebuild a house. There is Habitat for Humanity, but you have to meet certain requirements, and just because you apply doesn't mean you will be accepted and if you are accepted there is usually a quite a waiting list before your name comes up to have the house built.

If you are planning on moving into an apartment, which is what I would do, you can go to the office of a nearby Salvation Army and ask for a voucher for free furniture and the furniture you need has to be the necessities, usually they don't consider things like a computer or TVs necessities. Most of the time for things like that you have to provide transportation to pick the items up. Also anybody that owns a home should have home owners insurance.

Best Answer

This same thing happened to a girl friend years ago but it was her young daughter that was disabled. They too lost everything including their miniature poodle [poor thing] it didn't make it out of the house. They went to the county they lived in and the Salvation Army for help.

Call your social worker and let them know what has happened to you. Perhaps the YWCA could answer some of your questions also. Your in my thoughts and prayers at this most difficult time.

Best Answer

You could check out craigslist.org in your area and click on FREE category from the list. Browse to find anything you might need that someone wants to part with. Some have photos of the item.

Craigslist is also a good place to find used furnishings and you are given the option of whether you want to look at owner or business. Also, key in your town and state to see what is closest to you. Good luck Robin.

My home burned down and I have no place to go. I was wondering how do I get help?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Can I get help if me and my baby were living at a house that got burned down with our things in it if our name isn't on the lease?

By Seiricka from Montgomery, AL

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Did the Red Cross step in with help. I used to work in a Red Cross office in SD and when people would lose everything in a fire, if they didn't have a place to go immediately we put them up in a motel for a short period of time, they also got vouchers for(if I remember right) two complete sets of clothes and a pair of shoes, depending on the weather vouchers for winter outdoor wear, and when they found a place of their own to live they could get vouchers for bedding and towels. This help was given for each member of a family. Call them and see what they say if they haven't already contacted the home owner. I don't know how it works when your name wasn't on the lease, from different things I have heard it isn't legal to live in a place if your name isn't on the lease or without the landlord's permission. But do check with the Red Cross.

I agree with Redhatterb. Contact your local Red Cross.

I was recently in an apartment building fire, it was my boyfriend and I living there. The Red Cross did help us immediately, they gave us a card with some little amount of money on it like a credit card, for food clothes etc. Then they set us up in a hotel for a days, (this was on a Thursday, so Thursday night and Friday night we were good, but what can we have done over the weekend?? So we called back and stayed in another (not so nice,) motel for 2 more days, until Monday morning. Then we were basically on our own unless we wanted to go into the local shelter! (Not a good place to be at all, very poor conditions all around!!) But they did say after we get into a new apartment they will help us with things like furniture and kitchen stuff, etc. It has been hard finding agencies that will help us, if it wasn't for my parents I would be in that shelter! ;(

The biggest issue is transportation.

The place where I was staying in Clark county in Washington had a house fire, and now I am temporarily housed in a luxury hotel. I am looking for a grant to rent this apartment with advance rent/deposits too. Does anyone know of any grants that are available for this need?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

What do you do if someone one burns down your house and you don't have insurance and you have lots of items in it? I live in Cleveland Ohio.

The day after my birthday my house burnt down to the ground. Luckily it was daytime and nobody was home, but we lost it all. The local Red Cross gave us $500, but with paying for a hotel, toiletries, and few items of clothing, on day 2 it is gone. Please we need advice where we can get help. We live in a poor area and charities are few and far between. I am a single mom of 2 little girls. Please help us with any info on where we can get help. Thank you, God Bless.

By Jodi

Answers

Several years ago I worked as a receptionist in a Red Cross Office and in a situation like yours we gave a family a voucher for, if I remember right, two outfits for each family member, plus putting them up in a hotel (probably not for very long.)

The family was also allowed to pick the store where they wanted to use the vouchers. (I will add I didn't think that was right, because if you need help you should be satisfied getting clothing at a lower cost store.) In the winter they also got vouchers for coats, caps, and mittens for each member of the family that needed them.

After they found a place to live they were given vouchers for a set of bedding for each bed, and a set of towels for each family member. If they needed any furniture we referred them to thrift stores where they would usually be given stuff free. I think it was taken for granted that after a couple days the family would have found another place to live.

If one or two members of a family that needs help are working, there should be some income that would help with expenses. The Red Cross is for emergency type help only. A couple days in a motel should be long enough for a family to regroup.

Also if this fire was on the news, ask a friend of yours to start a fund drive for donations of items that you need, a lot of times here in SD when a family loosed everything in a fire, there is a drive asking for donations of clothing in specific sizes, toys for the kids, and cash donations made to a specifically named bank. Ask your church for some help. With all the disasters going on the country, the Red Cross doesn't have unlimited funds.

Also motel/hotel rooms come equipped with toiletries. You shouldn't have to be buying them as long as you are in a motel.

I'm not sure what specific charities are in the area, but you should try your local churches; they usually have some emergency funds. I would also check with your town govt, they might have some assistance agencies. And if your kids are under 5 you should apply for WIC. Good luck. :)

I used to be a receptionist in a Red Cross Office (several years ago), and at that time we would put a family up in a motel for a couple days until they could regroup and find a place to live. Usually there was family or friends that would take them in. We would give each family member a voucher for two outfits, depending on the weather additional vouchers for winter coats, etc. In a motel you shouldn't have to buy toiletries, that kind of items are in the room already. When they had a place to live they could get vouchers for a set of bedding for each bed and a set of towels for each family member. If furniture was needed referred them to thrift stores. When one or two people in a family are working there is some cash available. The Red Cross can't do a lot to help individual families with all the natural disasters going on in the country.

Call 211, it is a nationwide number that can steer you to whatever help is in your area.

Homeowners or renter's insurance?

Try posting a "wanted" post on the Freecycle.org for your area. We have recently had requests for the same type of thing you are going through and people are always happy to help. Good luck and God bless!

Call all the local towns around you. We have a "store" where that gives away free furniture. Try to get into a homeless shelter. They have lots of resources. Even if you have to travel that is better than not having a place to live. Also try to find out if you town or any towns around have a Social worker as they have all sorts of great information. Good luck.

Where can I find someone that can give free building materials to an elderly lady whose kitchen has been burned? We have people willing to do the work for free, but have no supplies. She is an 84 year old lady that just has no money to buy the materials. I don't have a picture at this time, but can get one soon.

Try this site-scroll down for your state:

http://www.elde  te-resources.htm

My home was burned yesterday morning. There is nothing left, but burned memory. I have nothing left. Is there any organization that can help me get shoes or work cloths? I'm so hurt don't know where to turn.

I am a house fire victim in Massachusetts and currently homeless in Connecticut. Do either of these states offer any help?

Were can we get help after losing everything in a house fire?

Where can I get help? We just loss everything we owned in a house fire including our beloved dogs, Rags our German Shepherd and Ryker our Pit Bull. We finally were able to secure an apartment, but have no furniture and can't seem to get help. We have nothing and every place I call sends me to another number. Everyone keeps passing the buck. We need help. Please.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My house burned down two days ago. I didn't have insurance. I lost everything. Yes it hurts to lose all my material stuff, but the biggest loss was my little dog. I'm homeless and broken hearted. What do I do now?

The Red Cross put my fiancee and me up for a week after we lost everything to a fire May 28th 2017. We have no transportation and nowhere to go after this. Who can help us out in our situation? We lived in Newport, Tennessee and don't know what to do next. We are in need of immediate help.

Where can I find laundry services after a house fire. We do not have money to go to a laundromat?

I need to know if there are any programs to help us with a new apartment or house, and clothing, etc. We lost everything in a house fire. Please message me if you know anyone or any programs.

My house burnt down. I have no money and no where to go. Where can I find help?

I have four children ages 9, 2, and twin girls age one. Our home burnt down and we are homeless. Is there any assistance for getting us a home?

By Crystal from Clarksville, IN

Home owners insurance is for that purpose. You might have to find a place to rent. Actually renting is less expensive, because if any repairs need to be made the landlord is responsible and if you rent an apartment you don't have to do yard work, etc.

Try a GoFundMe. Google that. People may just give you money because you really need it.

I kind of think home owner insurance reminders, assuming it was her home, is a moot point right now. My guess is you don't have money for an apt. no matter how little work you have to do for upkeep.

I would call 211, as it helps with other things besides health insurance. Then, call St. Vincents and Salvation Army for assistance. You may have to stay in a shelter for a time, but you and your family will not be cold. If you have family that can and will help, take it. Ask your friends to pitch in and take in the kids for a few days while you have a chance to breath and navigate the next steps.

Contact the local news station and you may be amazed at how many people will help.

I wish you all the luck. PBP

As a general rule the fire department will call the Red Cross if there is fire and children are involved. Did this not happen?

Try the places given for immediate help

but for long term help several questions may have to be answered before anyone will give you assistance:

1) your children are very young but do you work?

2) Where is their father? Does he help financially? if no - why not?

3) How were you paying "rent" before the fire?

4) What kind of state/federal assistance do you receive?

5) Do you own a car? If so - what kind & value and how are you paying for insurance and gas?

Some people may think these are not legitimate questions but if someone wants assistance for "free" then these questions may need to be answered.

The Red Cross will usually provide temporary shelter and they can provide a list of agencies that may be able to help you get back on your feet.

How do I find help with repairs after a fire? We are trying to finish up the repairs, the contractor ran off and stole our money.

My mother's house burned down this past Saturday morning. We found out she was not insured. She is 83 years old and the widow of a Korean war veteran. She is coming home with me. Is there anyway we can get help to rebuild?

By Thomas

My friend is a single mom and her house burned down.
I would like to directed to a charity or more that will help my friend rebuild her house.

By Robert

Is there homeowner's insurance? There are also places that can be rented.

You do not provide any further information so no one can even begin to respond to your question. If your friend owned the house and has insurance, she should contact her insurance company. There may be other options available to her but you did not provide any more information.

If your friend has no insurance, and no resources, the Salvation Army is the place to start. I believe the Red Cross may also have emergency help. Agencies such as these will be able to direct you further, and will provide first line help.

Can I use my property as collateral to get loan to rebuild a burned house? I have no insurance.

On July 4, 2015 three teenage girl's set fire to my 100yr old historic home in Texas. It was not insured, it burned to the ground and I lost everything. Are there any government agencies that would help, being as it was arson. I am wondering if maybe FEMA would help also. My home was paid for; I don't know if that matters or not. Any advice as to who would help with a arson fire?

My home was burnt down. My family lost everything and now we're staying in a hotel. The funding is running out and it's very cold. The Red Cross helped along with another organization. I live on SCSI and don't receive that until next month. What else can I do in the short term?

By Leah

I need advice on where else to look for help for my daughter and her family. They are victims of their home burning down 2 days before Christmas. I went to gofunme.com and pleaded with family and friends to please donate. When we have had spare money we gave some to back home family. Now they don't say anything. We have tried gov.ag and web sites to raise money where do we turn to for help? We have gone to every ag we could think of. Can you or someone tell me what to do?

By Janet

The American Red Cross will give them vouchers to take to a store for a couple outfits per family member. When they have a place of their own to live, they can also get vouchers for one set of bedding and one set of towels per family member.

To get furniture, they can go to the Salvation Army Office in your area and get a voucher to take to the Salvation Army Thrift Store and get free furniture. They might not get everything they need, but they will get whatever items the Thrift Store has on hand.

In most cases they will only be given the necessities, no TVs or electronic stuff. Each family member can also get vouchers for a couple outfits of clothing too. Most of the stuff at the Thrift Store won't be new, but some of it could be.

We had a housefire and have reached out to the Red Cross and that helped for 5 days, but they couldn't help past that. We are going to be out of our house for another 3-4 weeks and are needing assistance on where to stay and what we can do for some temp housing.

By Dawn W. from Exira, IA

After five days, it is taken for granted that you will have found a place to live, either rent, stay with family or friends. Several years ago I was a receptionist in a Red Cross Office and if I remember right, we only put people up in a motel for three nights. We never heard of anybody not having a place to live on a temporary basis after that period of time.

I would suggest you contact your local Department of Human Services office and ask about shelters to stay in until you can locate housing.

My brother is disabled. There was a store fire that got into the 4 apartments. My brother's was one. He paid rent on the 3rd and on the 5th the place was destroyed. Red cross is helping him and the other families. They were all put into the same hotel, but only until Monday.

I started a go fund for my brother, but he lost so much. Some other family members had renter's insurance and brag how they're getting big money. It breaks my heart for my brother to lose so much and see him cry.

After Monday I don't know who could help him. He didn't get his rent back he had just paid so we have no way of renting him a place. I have cancer and have no way of helping him. Who can we ask for help? I have never asked before for anything. Does someone know who could help ? Thank you so much in advance.

Load More