Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

A house or apartment fire is devastating. Coping with the aftermath can be easier if you have assistance. This is a guide about finding agencies to help after a house fire.

How do I get grants after a fire at my house?

I had a fire in my home Dec 1st in PA. I lost everything. I am single, all alone and on disability. Can't afford to rebuild. Can I get any help? I am reaching out as the house was not insured. Please help. Is there any assistance available?

By Robin S.

Answers

Best Answer

It depends on what type of help you are requesting. I don't know of any organization that will rebuild a house. There is Habitat for Humanity, but you have to meet certain requirements, and just because you apply doesn't mean you will be accepted and if you are accepted there is usually a quite a waiting list before your name comes up to have the house built.

If you are planning on moving into an apartment, which is what I would do, you can go to the office of a nearby Salvation Army and ask for a voucher for free furniture and the furniture you need has to be the necessities, usually they don't consider things like a computer or TVs necessities.

Most of the time for things like that you have to provide transportation to pick the items up. Also anybody that owns a home should have home owners insurance.

Best Answer

This same thing happened to a girl friend years ago but it was her young daughter that was disabled. They too lost everything including their miniature poodle [poor thing] it didn't make it out of the house. They went to the county they lived in and the Salvation Army for help.

Call your social worker and let them know what has happened to you. Perhaps the YWCA could answer some of your questions also. Your in my thoughts and prayers at this most difficult time.

Best Answer

You could check out craigslist.org in your area and click on FREE category from the list. Browse to find anything you might need that someone wants to part with. Some have photos of the item.

Craigslist is also a good place to find used furnishings and you are given the option of whether you want to look at owner or business. Also, key in your town and state to see what is closest to you. Good luck Robin.

My home burned down and I have no place to go. I was wondering how do I get help?

Can I get help if me and my baby were living at a house that got burned down with our things in it if our name isn't on the lease?

By seiricka seawright from Montgomery, AL

Answers

Did the Red Cross step in with help. I used to work in a Red Cross office in SD and when people would lose everything in a fire, if they didn't have a place to go immediately we put them up in a motel for a short period of time, they also got vouchers for(if I remember right) two complete sets of clothes and a pair of shoes, depending on the weather vouchers for winter outdoor wear, and when they found a place of their own to live they could get vouchers for bedding and towels.

This help was given for each member of a family. Call them and see what they say if they haven't already contacted the home owner. I don't know how it works when your name wasn't on the lease, from different things I have heard it isn't legal to live in a place if your name isn't on the lease or without the landlord's permission. But do check with the Red Cross.

I agree with Redhatterb. Contact your local Red Cross.

I was recently in an apartment building fire, it was my boyfriend and I living there. The Red Cross did help us immediately, they gave us a card with some little amount of money on it like a credit card, for food clothes etc. Then they set us up in a hotel for a days, (this was on a Thursday, so Thursday night and Friday night we were good, but what can we have done over the weekend?? So we called back and stayed in another (not so nice,) motel for 2 more days, until Monday morning.

Then we were basically on our own unless we wanted to go into the local shelter! (Not a good place to be at all, very poor conditions all around!!) But they did say after we get into a new apartment they will help us with things like furniture and kitchen stuff, etc. It has been hard finding agencies that will help us, if it wasn't for my parents I would be in that shelter! ;(

The biggest issue is transportation.

I am looking for some help, supplies, workers, or even funds to help my sister and her husband. They purchased a home here in Muncie, Indiana and then went back to Florida to begin the moving process. In the meantime, lightning struck their Muncie home before they could purchase insurance.

Now they are left trying to repair this home. Can you direct me to or know of community organizations that could help them?

Answers

Best Answer

Red Cross helped each individual $500 for fire (from a fellow family member who lived in Indiana).

You can check with the government + organizations for Indiana - https://www.in.gov/ihcda/2410.htm

Best Answer

FEMA encourages fire victims to register for assistance. They have many programs there and offer all types of help. You can find out more here:
https://www.fem  ister-assistance

My sister-in-law was a victim of a house fire the other day. She lost everything. Unfortunately the house did not have insurance, so what are their other options for help as far as clothes, etc.? They literally lost everything.

Answers

Best Answer

it must be a terrible feeling to see everything you own just disappear but still, you have to be thankful that everyone is okay health wise.

• The Red Cross is always the first place to seek help after a fire as they offer immediate help and some help for getting assistance after their help is exhausted.
  • They usually have a list that has names of organizations (in your area) that might be able to help as well as other suggestions. You can call and ask for this list or information.
  • Any government help is slow and generally you have to meet certain qualifications even for emergencies.
  • Local churches and local organizations offer the quickest help so maybe she should start with those.
  • Your local Craigslist and Freecycle are very good for cases like this as you can explain what happened, who is involved and what you need. People are usually quick to respond - items may not be new but should fill her immediate need.
  • The Salvation Army, Goodwill, Hospice Thrift stores, church thrift stores will usually always help with clothing and linens.
  • Another good place to ask for help is through the Next Door Neighborhood as this may get you into the area of the fire. here is a link to check this out.
  • https://nextdoor.com/

The place where I was staying in Clark county in Washington had a house fire, and now I am temporarily housed in a luxury hotel. I am looking for a grant to rent this apartment with advance rent/deposits too. Does anyone know of any grants that are available for this need?

The Red Cross gave me a debit card and never put me up for a place to stay. I stayed with my daughter for a few days after. When the money was gone she wanted me to go. Now I'm back in my burned trailer. Everything is getting wet and I'm wet and cold. Where can I find help?

Answers

Best Answer

This is so sad and I am sorry your daughter won't allow you to stay with here. Here is some very important information to help you now.

• After a fire the victim can get immediate assistance and also long term assistance. These programs are from a variety of private and public agencies.
  • In your state you will need to find the Human Resources Administration. If you had told us what state you lived in I could of helped you find this in your area.
  • As you know the American Red Cross has funds available for fire victims. I know you have visited them once and they gave you a few vouchers. I would suggest going back there again and see if they can offer you temperary housing or shelter until you can get your trailer fixed.
  • The Department of Housing Preservation and Development is set up to help people recover and relocate after a fire. Again you will need to find the office in your area or state that is there to help you.
  • According to many websites and informaion about fire victims it seems the American Red Cross is responsibe to feed and cloths you and allow you to stay in one of their emergency shelters.
  • The Salvation Army is another good agency that helps fire victims and gives relief. I would also contact them for help.
  • You can also go to the United Way for help. They are there to help you out in your time of need.
  • FEMA - Federal Emergency Management Agency is a government agency that offers temporary housing assistance for people who have been displaced after a house fire. You will need to contact this agency because many people don't realize that disaster assistance is available to them. They are an excellent agency and they will help you out. I would contact them and find out what they can do for you.

What do you do if someone one burns down your house and you don't have insurance and you have lots of items in it? I live in Cleveland Ohio.

The day after my birthday my house burnt down to the ground. Luckily it was daytime and nobody was home, but we lost it all. The local Red Cross gave us $500, but with paying for a hotel, toiletries, and few items of clothing, on day 2 it is gone. Please we need advice where we can get help. We live in a poor area and charities are few and far between. I am a single mom of 2 little girls. Please help us with any info on where we can get help. Thank you, God Bless.

By Jodi

Answers

Several years ago I worked as a receptionist in a Red Cross Office and in a situation like yours we gave a family a voucher for, if I remember right, two outfits for each family member, plus putting them up in a hotel (probably not for very long.)

The family was also allowed to pick the store where they wanted to use the vouchers. (I will add I didn't think that was right, because if you need help you should be satisfied getting clothing at a lower cost store.) In the winter they also got vouchers for coats, caps, and mittens for each member of the family that needed them.

After they found a place to live they were given vouchers for a set of bedding for each bed, and a set of towels for each family member. If they needed any furniture we referred them to thrift stores where they would usually be given stuff free. I think it was taken for granted that after a couple days the family would have found another place to live.

If one or two members of a family that needs help are working, there should be some income that would help with expenses. The Red Cross is for emergency type help only. A couple days in a motel should be long enough for a family to regroup.

Also if this fire was on the news, ask a friend of yours to start a fund drive for donations of items that you need, a lot of times here in SD when a family loosed everything in a fire, there is a drive asking for donations of clothing in specific sizes, toys for the kids, and cash donations made to a specifically named bank. Ask your church for some help. With all the disasters going on the country, the Red Cross doesn't have unlimited funds.

Also motel/hotel rooms come equipped with toiletries. You shouldn't have to be buying them as long as you are in a motel.

I'm not sure what specific charities are in the area, but you should try your local churches; they usually have some emergency funds. I would also check with your town govt, they might have some assistance agencies. And if your kids are under 5 you should apply for WIC. Good luck. :)

I used to be a receptionist in a Red Cross Office (several years ago), and at that time we would put a family up in a motel for a couple days until they could regroup and find a place to live. Usually there was family or friends that would take them in. We would give each family member a voucher for two outfits, depending on the weather additional vouchers for winter coats, etc. In a motel you shouldn't have to buy toiletries, that kind of items are in the room already. When they had a place to live they could get vouchers for a set of bedding for each bed and a set of towels for each family member. If furniture was needed referred them to thrift stores. When one or two people in a family are working there is some cash available. The Red Cross can't do a lot to help individual families with all the natural disasters going on in the country.

Call 211, it is a nationwide number that can steer you to whatever help is in your area.

Homeowners or renter's insurance?

Try posting a "wanted" post on the Freecycle.org for your area. We have recently had requests for the same type of thing you are going through and people are always happy to help. Good luck and God bless!

Call all the local towns around you. We have a "store" where that gives away free furniture. Try to get into a homeless shelter. They have lots of resources. Even if you have to travel that is better than not having a place to live. Also try to find out if you town or any towns around have a Social worker as they have all sorts of great information. Good luck.

Where can I find someone that can give free building materials to an elderly lady whose kitchen has been burned? We have people willing to do the work for free, but have no supplies. She is an 84 year old lady that just has no money to buy the materials. I don't have a picture at this time, but can get one soon.

Answers

Try this site-scroll down for your state:

http://www.elde  te-resources.htm

My home was burned yesterday morning. There is nothing left, but burned memory. I have nothing left. Is there any organization that can help me get shoes or work cloths? I'm so hurt don't know where to turn.

Our house burned down and we need help with getting a place to stay. We are in a child's tent and have no food or anything to drink. We don't have any family that will help us. It's hot in the tent and we both have a health condition.

I am a house fire victim in Massachusetts and currently homeless in Connecticut. Do either of these states offer any help?

Were can we get help after losing everything in a house fire?

Where can I get help? We just loss everything we owned in a house fire including our beloved dogs, Rags our German Shepherd and Ryker our Pit Bull. We finally were able to secure an apartment, but have no furniture and can't seem to get help. We have nothing and every place I call sends me to another number. Everyone keeps passing the buck. We need help. Please.

My house burned down two days ago. I didn't have insurance. I lost everything. Yes it hurts to lose all my material stuff, but the biggest loss was my little dog. I'm homeless and broken hearted. What do I do now?

My kitchen caught fire and now the insurance company says that we can't live there for three to four months and that they don't cover our lodging. We desperately need help. We are in a hotel for now, but our money is running out and we'll be homeless tomorrow at 11:00 am.

The Red Cross put my fiancee and me up for a week after we lost everything to a fire May 28th 2017. We have no transportation and nowhere to go after this. Who can help us out in our situation? We lived in Newport, Tennessee and don't know what to do next. We are in need of immediate help.

Where can I find laundry services after a house fire. We do not have money to go to a laundromat?

I need to know if there are any programs to help us with a new apartment or house, and clothing, etc. We lost everything in a house fire. Please message me if you know anyone or any programs.

Load More